The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: Congress
PostPosted: Thu December 28, 2017 10:33 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Is there anything barring him from running again?
Quote:
Poll: Half of Minnesotans don’t think Franken should resign

The Hill on MSN.comThe Hill on MSN.com · 3h

The poll also finds that 53 percent of voters approve of the job Franken is doing in office, compared to 42 percent who don't approve.

PostPosted: Thu December 28, 2017 10:34 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

contemporary mores

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sun December 31, 2017 6:21 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Hard to imagine they pull this off, but I'm still (after everything else mind you) surprised they'd do this. Hard to comprehend the optics of just about the entire nursing home industry collapsing, and 1.4 million low income elderly people left to hope they have family who can and will see to them.

PostPosted: Sun December 31, 2017 6:29 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

McParadigm wrote:

Hard to imagine they pull this off, but I'm still (after everything else mind you) surprised they'd do this. Hard to comprehend the optics of just about the entire nursing home industry collapsing, and 1.4 million low income elderly people left to hope they have family who can and will see to them.

Isn’t that Medicare?

PostPosted: Sun December 31, 2017 6:42 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

Isn’t that Medicare?

Medicaid represents around 1/3 of all nursing home funding, through a combination of subsidized support for low income patients and other provisions. 63% of people in nursing homes have Medicaid as their primary payer.

Medicare doesn't cover unless you have ongoing problems requiring treatment (in other words, if you can't feed yourself, bathe yourself, or get off the pot without help, that doesn't count). It is meant to prioritize "get better" care...there is a limit to how long the benefit is triggered for.

PostPosted: Sun December 31, 2017 7:44 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

McParadigm wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

Isn’t that Medicare?

Medicaid represents around 1/3 of all nursing home funding, through a combination of subsidized support for low income patients and other provisions. 63% of people in nursing homes have Medicaid as their primary payer.

Medicare doesn't cover unless you have ongoing problems requiring treatment (in other words, if you can't feed yourself, bathe yourself, or get off the pot without help, that doesn't count). It is meant to prioritize "get better" care...there is a limit to how long the benefit is triggered for.

Interesting. I had no idea the system worked like that.

PostPosted: Mon January 01, 2018 10:45 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

It's also pretty much their entire base at this point: the old white people. How bad are their internal projections for 2018 that they're just going to burn the whole thing down at this point?

PostPosted: Tue January 02, 2018 1:13 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

bune wrote:
It's also pretty much their entire base at this point: the old white people. How bad are their internal projections for 2018 that they're just going to burn the whole thing down at this point?

In order to try to correct my embarrassing lack of knowledge on this I did a bit more reading, seems like they would be cutting the ACA-driven expansion of medicaid that occurred a few years ago. Kaiser explains here:

https://www.kff.org/medicaid/issue-brief/what-coverage-and-financing-at-risk-under-repeal-of-aca-medicaid-expansion/

The nursing home thing might be a bit of scare tactic given the division of medicaid funding and the make up of the people made eligible after the ACA was enacted (mostly white, working age adults without kids). Where this could be devastating is the home-care worker industry and the disabled and those who support them. Couldn't we just get Raytheon to build a nursing home instead of a frigate?

Last edited by Bi_3 on Tue January 02, 2018 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue January 02, 2018 2:21 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Hasn't Mitch McConnell stated that entitlement reform is a non-starter in the Senate?

PostPosted: Tue January 02, 2018 7:19 pm 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri January 05, 2018 5:35 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Green Habit wrote:

Will this get the twitter alt right to agitate for the Mormocaust again? I kinda hope so, it was a fun meme for a minute after McMullin announced.

PostPosted: Mon January 08, 2018 10:11 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

No fewer than 7 House Republican committee chairs are now retiring.

PostPosted: Mon January 08, 2018 10:33 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I'm going to be super cynical and say it's because the payday for lobbying is now higher than the payday for taking bribes. I mean, er, campaign donations.

PostPosted: Tue January 09, 2018 11:01 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Not sure where to best put this, but I believe two other states have similar cases ongoing. If they produce similar results, is expect groups all over the country to capitalize on the precedent.

PostPosted: Tue January 09, 2018 11:36 pm 
Site Admin

Those cases are really going to come down to the Gill case that's before SCOTUS right now.

PostPosted: Wed January 10, 2018 3:36 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

if i were a congressman, i would want to be one of those that just introduces ridiculous shit to make a symbolic point on C-SPAN

http://www.neatorama.com/2013/05/28/Flo ... -Congress/

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Wed January 10, 2018 11:55 am 
Looks Like a Cat

96583UP wrote:
if i were a congressman, i would want to be one of those that just introduces ridiculous shit to make a symbolic point on C-SPAN

http://www.neatorama.com/2013/05/28/Flo ... -Congress/

He's got a point there.

PostPosted: Wed January 10, 2018 4:17 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

McParadigm wrote:
No fewer than 7 House Republican committee chairs are now retiring.

PostPosted: Wed January 10, 2018 4:24 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Eh I guess Issa was a former oversight chairman.

PostPosted: Tue January 16, 2018 5:50 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

:haha:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 40  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate