The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 502, 503, 504, 505, 506, 507, 508 ... 729  Next
 Post subject: Re: MLB
PostPosted: Sun December 10, 2017 2:21 am 
Rank This Poster

more like NLeast

PostPosted: Mon December 11, 2017 12:47 am 
Looks Like a Cat

cutuphalfdead wrote:
spike wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
fuck the yankees

they still need pitching.

fuck 'em i say

PostPosted: Mon December 11, 2017 2:25 pm 
Rank This Poster

washing machine wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
spike wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
fuck the yankees

they still need pitching.

fuck 'em i say

PostPosted: Mon December 11, 2017 9:41 pm 
Rank This Poster

At this point it looks more like the Yankees bought the Marlins.

Are they even going to show up in the spring or just layout like Jeter is from the winter meetings?

I wonder this often with the Braves, but just what are they selling down there to try and convince people to pay money to go see a professional game?

Hey guys get in on the ground floor of our 2025 rebuild!!!

PostPosted: Wed December 13, 2017 6:31 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Electromatic wrote:
I wonder this often with the Braves, but just what are they selling down there to try and convince people to pay money to go see a professional game?

But it's not a rebuild. That's what national fans always forget when they rationalize fire sales by the Marlins--they aren't rebuilding, this is the business plan. Receive corporate welfare from taxpayers, receive handouts from the league, put a terrible product out and profit.

This trade is an abomination. Even if you consider the lack of leverage the Marlins had and that Stanton had a no trade clause it still doesn't come close to defending this trade. There was no need to do the trade right then. They could have waited almost 4 more months and still gotten him off the books before the season.

The MLB wanted Jeter to have a team so they approved a sale to people who couldn't afford a team even though the other buyer was local and stated his intention to keep Stanton and to have a competitive payroll. The Jeter team gets the team (and had to borrow extensively to hit the MLB-inflated $1.1 billion price tag) and immediately announces that the Miami market can't support anything but a bare bones payroll and that they're basically going to gut the franchise for financial relief, not to rebuild the farm system.

PostPosted: Wed December 13, 2017 7:21 pm 
Rank This Poster

4/5 wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

But it's not a rebuild. That's what national fans always forget when they rationalize fire sales by the Marlins--they aren't rebuilding, this is the business plan. Receive corporate welfare from taxpayers, receive handouts from the league, put a terrible product out and profit.

This trade is an abomination. Even if you consider the lack of leverage the Marlins had and that Stanton had a no trade clause it still doesn't come close to defending this trade. There was no need to do the trade right then. They could have waited almost 4 more months and still gotten him off the books before the season.

The MLB wanted Jeter to have a team so they approved a sale to people who couldn't afford a team even though the other buyer was local and stated his intention to keep Stanton and to have a competitive payroll. The Jeter team gets the team (and had to borrow extensively to hit the MLB-inflated $1.1 billion price tag) and immediately announces that the Miami market can't support anything but a bare bones payroll and that they're basically going to gut the franchise for financial relief, not to rebuild the farm system.

At least trading Ozuna and Yelich will actually help the future of the franchise, but yeah...

PostPosted: Wed December 13, 2017 7:24 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

How are the Marlins worth a billion dollars if their market can’t support a competitive payroll?

PostPosted: Sat December 16, 2017 10:33 pm 
Rank This Poster

Pretty good trade Dodgers and Braves

PostPosted: Sun December 17, 2017 1:41 am 
The Master

always liked this guy

Quote:
Right-handed starter Yovani Gallardo has agreed to a deal with the Milwaukee Brewers, according to multiple reports.

The agreement was first reported by The Athletic.

Gallardo was 5-10 with a 5.72 ERA in 28 games (22 starts) with the Seattle Mariners last season.

Seattle declined an option on Gallardo in November, making him a free agent.

The 31-year-old Gallardo spent the first eight seasons of his career with the Brewers before one-year stays with the Texas Rangers, Baltimore Orioles and Mariners. He has a career record of 113-93 with a 3.93 ERA.

PostPosted: Sun December 17, 2017 5:31 am 
AnalLog

spike wrote:
always liked this guy

Quote:
Right-handed starter Yovani Gallardo has agreed to a deal with the Milwaukee Brewers, according to multiple reports.

Gallardo was 5-10 with a 5.72 ERA in 28 games (22 starts) with the Seattle Mariners last season.

The 31-year-old Gallardo spent the first eight seasons of his career with the Brewers before one-year stays with the Texas Rangers, Baltimore Orioles and Mariners. He has a career record of 113-93 with a 3.93 ERA.

Just another of those, average pitchers the Brewers run out as an "ace" 86 wins in 8 seasons says it all.

PostPosted: Sun December 17, 2017 5:58 am 
The Master

MadTIGERmaN wrote:
spike wrote:
always liked this guy

Quote:

Just another of those, average pitchers the Brewers run out as an "ace" 86 wins in 8 seasons says it all.

they've been trying to move domingo santana for pitching during the winter meetings, but no one's biting. /:

PostPosted: Sun December 17, 2017 2:50 pm 
Champion of RM

Electromatic wrote:

Who's paying Adrian Gonzales' salary next year?

PostPosted: Sun December 17, 2017 5:30 pm 
Banned from the Pit

As a long time Yankees fan, it sure will be a lot of fun watching all the home runs hit to that right field porch. That being said, I do worry a bit that the addition of Stanton is will cause the admittedly small advancement in playing small ball that were made late last season to regress.

There are some questions regarding their starting pitching, their bullpen on the other hand is one of the leagues best, but resigning CC was a great move as he is a clubhouse leader. Potential future starters Chance Adams and Justus Sheffield are hopefully going to get lots of looks in Spring Training.

All in all, I think 2018 will be one fun season for Yankees fans.

PostPosted: Mon December 18, 2017 2:24 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Fuck the Yankees

PostPosted: Mon December 18, 2017 12:05 pm 
Rank This Poster

CopperTom wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

I think the Braves are mostly at least. He’s already Dfa’d. I don’t know how much cash came back. This looks like short term pitching help, clearing a spot for Acuña, and having money to spend in 2019.

Culberson could help the infield too, not sure if they want him at 3rd early on or just part of the bench.

All in all pretty solid first move.

PostPosted: Mon December 18, 2017 3:01 pm 
Rank This Poster

Electromatic wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

I think the Braves are mostly at least. He’s already Dfa’d. I don’t know how much cash came back. This looks like short term pitching help, clearing a spot for Acuña, and having money to spend in 2019.

Culberson could help the infield too, not sure if they want him at 3rd early on or just part of the bench.

All in all pretty solid first move.

Anthopoulos is all about the creative moves.

PostPosted: Thu December 21, 2017 12:07 pm 
Rank This Poster

Lol at Manfred saying he cares about having a competitive team in each market.

There’s one competitive team in the NL East Rob. The rest aren’t even trying to win.

PostPosted: Thu December 21, 2017 2:40 pm 
Rank This Poster

Electromatic wrote:

There’s one competitive team in the NL East Rob. The rest aren’t even trying to win.

The Mets are, they just aren't very good at it.

PostPosted: Thu December 21, 2017 2:59 pm 
Rank This Poster

philpritchard wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

The Mets are, they just aren't very good at it.

Point taken. It's pretty rare when anyone in a 5 man rotation has to miss a start or significant time right?

PostPosted: Fri December 22, 2017 5:10 am 
mXn

Speaking of the Mets, I just saw where Darryl Strawberry said he used to have sex in between innings.

That is one of the most amazing things I have ever heard.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 502, 503, 504, 505, 506, 507, 508 ... 729  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports