The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4883 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188 ... 245  Next
 Post subject: Re: NHL Thread
PostPosted: Mon November 06, 2017 3:46 pm 
Rank This Poster

Dev wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
Dev wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
Duchene, huh?

wowzers. not sure why we had to give em turris though. i really would have like to shed some of put defensive depth. will miss turris the mormon.

Yeah, I'm not sure how much I like the trade for Ottawa. Duchene is a bigger name, but they've been pretty similar players the last 4-5 years, and it was a pretty big price for what looks like a small upgrade (although Duchene could very well become more productive again now that he's out of Colorado, in which case it starts to look like a really solid move for Ottawa).

The problem I have with it is pretty much what you said: it looks like they're interested in pushing to win while Karlsson is still around, so why not give up more future assets to bring in Duchene without giving up Turris and REALLY push for a Cup this year or next? It just seems like a half measure rather than a real effort to go for it.

maybe we will still make another move?

Ugh I wish we still had Methot instead of Oduya too. What do you think about Phaneuf not waiving his no trade clause? He would have never been picked, right?

While most Ottawa fans seem to be comfortable with Phaneuf (which I continue to think is hilarious given their opinions of him prior to the trade), it's hard to argue that they wouldn't be in a much better position if they had never acquired him. Instead, they would have Methot for a couple million less without the long-term commitment. Maybe then they could have afforded to sign Turris. Or maybe they would have enough to extend Karlsson next year.

Having more than $14 million tied up in a couple secondary guys (Ryan and Phaneuf) for the next four years puts them in a really tough spot, especially when almost all of their key players hit free agency this year or next.

PostPosted: Mon November 06, 2017 4:06 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Watching highlights and now I'm psyched about Duchene.

PostPosted: Mon November 06, 2017 4:07 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

philpritchard wrote:
Dev wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
Dev wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
Duchene, huh?

wowzers. not sure why we had to give em turris though. i really would have like to shed some of put defensive depth. will miss turris the mormon.

Yeah, I'm not sure how much I like the trade for Ottawa. Duchene is a bigger name, but they've been pretty similar players the last 4-5 years, and it was a pretty big price for what looks like a small upgrade (although Duchene could very well become more productive again now that he's out of Colorado, in which case it starts to look like a really solid move for Ottawa).

The problem I have with it is pretty much what you said: it looks like they're interested in pushing to win while Karlsson is still around, so why not give up more future assets to bring in Duchene without giving up Turris and REALLY push for a Cup this year or next? It just seems like a half measure rather than a real effort to go for it.

Ugh I wish we still had Methot instead of Oduya too. What do you think about Phaneuf not waiving his no trade clause? He would have never been picked, right?

While most Ottawa fans seem to be comfortable with Phaneuf (which I continue to think is hilarious given their opinions of him prior to the trade), it's hard to argue that they wouldn't be in a much better position if they had never acquired him. Instead, they would have Methot for a couple million less without the long-term commitment. Maybe then they could have afforded to sign Turris. Or maybe they would have enough to extend Karlsson next year.

Having more than $14 million tied up in a couple secondary guys (Ryan and Phaneuf) for the next four years puts them in a really tough spot, especially when almost all of their key players hit free agency this year or next.

All I was suggesting is we probably could have kept Phaneuf and Methot. I think Phaneuf and Ryan are underated. Two of my favorite players. Phaneuf found new life here.

PostPosted: Mon November 06, 2017 4:16 pm 
Rank This Poster

Dev wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
Dev wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
Dev wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
Duchene, huh?

All I was suggesting is we probably could have kept Phaneuf and Methot. I think Phaneuf and Ryan are underated. Two of my favorite players. Phaneuf found new life here.

Oh I know, but I'm suggesting things would be even better if they had never acquired Phaneuf because they wouldn't have $7 million committed to him for the next four years. If he made $4-5 million it wouldn't be an issue, but at $7 million he prevents them from doing other, more important things (like offering Turris a reasonable contract or, probably, extending the best defenseman in the league). Same goes for Ryan.

And Phaneuf is the same player he always was in Toronto, he just isn't playing against other teams' best players anymore.

PostPosted: Mon November 06, 2017 4:29 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

philpritchard wrote:
Dev wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
Dev wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
Dev wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
Duchene, huh?

Oh I know, but I'm suggesting things would be even better if they had never acquired Phaneuf because they wouldn't have $7 million committed to him for the next four years. If he made $4-5 million it wouldn't be an issue, but at $7 million he prevents them from doing other, more important things (like offering Turris a reasonable contract or, probably, extending the best defenseman in the league). Same goes for Ryan.

And Phaneuf is the same player he always was in Toronto, he just isn't playing against other teams' best players anymore.

You guys expected too much of him. Hell of a character player though. The kind of dude you want to battle with.

PostPosted: Mon December 11, 2017 2:26 pm 
Rank This Poster

Dev wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
Dev wrote:
just caught the leafs in points.

Proud of you.

we're both off to a good start. do you think we might meet in the playoffs this year?

It's not looking good.

PostPosted: Mon December 11, 2017 6:38 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

philpritchard wrote:
Dev wrote:
philpritchard wrote:
Dev wrote:
just caught the leafs in points.

Proud of you.

we're both off to a good start. do you think we might meet in the playoffs this year?

It's not looking good.

lol

PostPosted: Tue January 02, 2018 3:34 pm 
Rank This Poster

The Winter Classic was cool again.

PostPosted: Wed February 07, 2018 3:49 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

what a nice display for the flower last night

PostPosted: Wed February 14, 2018 3:44 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

one of the few times a pass is as good as a goal

PostPosted: Wed February 14, 2018 5:13 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

pretty insensitive post when we lost some boys last night.

PostPosted: Wed February 14, 2018 8:39 pm 
Rank This Poster

Man, Karlsson has looked lost for a while now.

PostPosted: Wed February 14, 2018 9:51 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

philpritchard wrote:
Man, Karlsson has looked lost for a while now.

lol true

PostPosted: Wed February 14, 2018 9:51 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

this is the season from hell.

PostPosted: Mon February 19, 2018 1:44 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Am I foolish to want McDonagh in Boston? I think he's worth any package not including: Mcavoy, Heinen, Debrusk, or Carlo

PostPosted: Fri February 23, 2018 5:10 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

A bottom-pair defenseman for what amounts to O'Gara & Vetrano?

Okay, Dealin' Donnie. You've done alright to this point, but Chiarelli's last draft class is living pretty large these days.

PostPosted: Thu March 01, 2018 5:30 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

I think I will cheer for the Panthers for the rest of the season.

PostPosted: Thu March 01, 2018 7:59 pm 
Rank This Poster

Dev wrote:

You should cheer for Buffalo to pass Ottawa.

PostPosted: Thu March 01, 2018 8:03 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Go Wild!

PostPosted: Thu March 01, 2018 8:41 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

philpritchard wrote:
Dev wrote:

You should cheer for Buffalo to pass Ottawa.

please don't pile on. this is the worst year for our franchise that I can remember.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4883 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 182, 183, 184, 185, 186, 187, 188 ... 245  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports