The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 501, 502, 503, 504, 505, 506, 507 ... 729  Next
 Post subject: Re: MLB
PostPosted: Wed November 08, 2017 1:25 am 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

Sad, shocking news. For a few seasons there, at the top of his game, Halladay was the best in his game. What a competitor and sounds like an all around good guy off the field too.

PostPosted: Wed November 08, 2017 2:58 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

this is sad news. he was a good kid just south of my hometown..

PostPosted: Wed November 08, 2017 7:28 am 
Poster of the Year

He was pretty good. I wouldn't give up Buchholz for him though. :arrow:

PostPosted: Thu November 16, 2017 4:55 am 
Rank This Poster

Looks like the Braves are going to get curb stomped for the foreign player signing shenanigans. Figures a couple of guys working the Yankees model would go down after they went elsewhere. To bad the real crime is the garbage major league squad they actually charged money to see last year.

PostPosted: Sun November 19, 2017 3:41 am 
Looks Like a Cat

When do pitchers and catchers report?

PostPosted: Tue November 21, 2017 10:05 pm 
Rank This Poster

Yikes... Braves got hit HARD.

PostPosted: Wed November 22, 2017 12:38 am 
Mind Your Tanners

philpritchard wrote:

Yeah man they got killed. The lifetime ban for the GM seems incredibly harsh, but I don’t really know the details of this, just that they were screwing around with international signings.

PostPosted: Wed November 22, 2017 1:37 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

I don't know the details either. The international market has always been a little shady so Coppolella & company must have been especially blatant. I don't know much about the prospects taken away other than Maitan was a big get and the one with the highest expectations.
And John Coppolella seemed to be a real prick to everyone by all accounts.

PostPosted: Thu November 23, 2017 3:19 am 
Rank This Poster

philpritchard wrote:

Yeah it’s pretty shitty, they decided to make an example out of the Braves and Copallela. They did kind of tell everyone to cut the shit. But Copellela was driven and he planned for this class. Saved up money, executed the plan. Ultimately I’m not even sure why what they did was wrong. The Braves aren’t a rich team, they manipulated the rules same as others have to get the guys they needed. Again the real crime is the major league roster they fielded for the last 3 years. Giving people money? Who gives a shit? Trading the most fun to watch shortstop in baseball for two shit high school pitchers who both suck ass is the real crime... trading Wood to LA for a horrible 3rd basemen is the real crime. The Braves on field product is a tire fire right now and likely will be for 5 more years. That’s all I give a shit about, watchable baseball.

Both Coppy and his stooge both came from the Yankees..... about all their talent... I guess they’ll add Maitan and Severino too.

Last edited by Electromatic on Thu November 23, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu November 23, 2017 9:22 am 
Poster of the Year

Electromatic wrote:
Ultimately I’m not even sure why what they did was wrong. The Braves aren’t a rich team, they manipulated the rules same as others have to get the guys they needed.

lol

PostPosted: Thu November 23, 2017 2:31 pm 
Rank This Poster

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
Ultimately I’m not even sure why what they did was wrong. The Braves aren’t a rich team, they manipulated the rules same as others have to get the guys they needed.

lol

Kind of a dumb statement by me. The Braves obviously have tons of money but they are ultimately a corporate tax write off for Liberty Media who gives fuck all about the on field product. They haven’t even attempted to try and field a watchable MLB team for 3 years. That’s what the league should care about. If they want to waste 50 million on Kenshin Kawakami or pay the entire country in Venezuela to get one guy why would we give a shit?

As if anything in sports was a level playing field.

Every single human in the Braves front office needs to go. McGuire, Scherholtz...Cox. They have hired back to back two GMs who have no business in that roll. Here’s to hoping Anthopoulos doesn’t suck ass.

PostPosted: Fri December 01, 2017 12:27 am 
Champion of RM

Electromatic wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

lol

Kind of a dumb statement by me. The Braves obviously have tons of money but they are ultimately a corporate tax write off for Liberty Media who gives fuck all about the on field product. They haven’t even attempted to try and field a watchable MLB team for 3 years. That’s what the league should care about. If they want to waste 50 million on Kenshin Kawakami or pay the entire country in Venezuela to get one guy why would we give a shit?

Every single human in the Braves front office needs to go. McGuire, Scherholtz...Cox. They have hired back to back two GMs who have no business in that roll. Here’s to hoping Anthopoulos doesn’t suck ass.

For the most part, I enjoyed watching last years team. I'm thrilled the Angels took JJ and all of his salary. Now if we can get rid of Kemp...

PostPosted: Fri December 01, 2017 3:36 am 
Rank This Poster

CopperTom wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

lol

For the most part, I enjoyed watching last years team. I'm thrilled the Angels took JJ and all of his salary. Now if we can get rid of Kemp...

I’m quite pleased that 5 million is off the books but who did you enjoy watching?

Ender? The unexpectedly awesome platoon at catcher? They did basically everything poorly and then the bullpen just drove whatever good happened off a cliff.

Did Julio win even once at home?

I’m not sure Coppy made one signing that benefitted the major league club during his tenure. Maybe 2 years from now, but watching a bunch of guys get their heads beat in learning how to play and being the farm system for nontoxic organizations that actually are trying to win?

PostPosted: Fri December 01, 2017 12:32 pm 
Champion of RM

Electromatic wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

lol

I’m quite pleased that 5 million is off the books but who did you enjoy watching?

Ender? The unexpectedly awesome platoon at catcher? They did basically everything poorly and then the bullpen just drove whatever good happened off a cliff.

I’m not sure Coppy made one signing that benefitted the major league club during his tenure. Maybe 2 years from now, but watching a bunch of guys get their heads beat in learning how to play and being the farm system for nontoxic organizations that actually are trying to win?

Freeman was the best player in the NL at the time of his injury, Ender had our first 200 hit campaign in 21 years, our team catchers had the #1 war in baseball. I'm optimistic about Swanson, Albies and Acuna. If Folty worries less about 60' 6" and more about the 4" between his ears, he could ace great. It's there, but he fights the umpires and the strike zone way too much. We didn't have a winning record, but I don't think we got our brains beat in either. Wasn't our bullpen in the top half of the NL?

PostPosted: Fri December 01, 2017 2:25 pm 
Rank This Poster

CopperTom wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
CopperTom wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Electromatic wrote:

lol

Freeman was the best player in the NL at the time of his injury, Ender had our first 200 hit campaign in 21 years, our team catchers had the #1 war in baseball. I'm optimistic about Swanson, Albies and Acuna. If Folty worries less about 60' 6" and more about the 4" between his ears, he could ace great. It's there, but he fights the umpires and the strike zone way too much. We didn't have a winning record, but I don't think we got our brains beat in either. Wasn't our bullpen in the top half of the NL?

I don't know how they could have been in the top half but that's possible I guess. RA Dickey was possibly the best starter at the end of the season... that seems almost impossible. No starter had 200 innings. It still seems like almost a miracle they didn't lose 100. Vizcaino and Jose Ramirez had pretty good years. Hopefully Gohara is good this year. Everyone is excited about Acuna, but they really need to dump Kemp's money also and move Markakis (and he was one of the consistent guys too) Corporate ownership and the fact that they are completely structured and used as a tax write off for liberty media is the ultimate problem, but they put all their organizational eggs in the pitching basket and so far, nothing has panned out because of injury or yes Folty's noggin.

I don't see how they are going to fill 3rd base yet, catcher last year was an amazing unplanned gift, Ender has been better than we could have hoped, but positionally, they just aren't major league quality for a very long time now at 3rd, Short, 2nd or Left Field.

I don't think the organization deserves patience though obviously they aren't going to compete next year or into the forseeable future unless at least 2 of the pitching prospects they spent the last 3 years trading for actually turn into something. It's been mostly bad since 2005 outside of the odd really good prospect most of which are playing for other teams now.

Everytime I see Dansby Swanson I wish he was Andrelton Simmons.

Here's to hoping they don't sell Teheran low and he's the opening day starter. It will be a really young rotation and probably very inconsistent but yeah perhaps the light comes on for Folty or Newcomb and it's a lot more fun. Right now I don't see how they could possibly improve on 72 wins.

PostPosted: Sat December 09, 2017 2:21 pm 
See you in another life, brother

:(

PostPosted: Sat December 09, 2017 2:57 pm 
The Master

4/5 wrote:
:(

Sounds like Stanton already dislikes sharing the limelight with Judge, so hopefully this all explodes in the Yanks' face.

PostPosted: Sat December 09, 2017 5:36 pm 
Poster of the Year

fuck the yankees

PostPosted: Sat December 09, 2017 5:37 pm 
The Master

cutuphalfdead wrote:
fuck the yankees

they still need pitching.

PostPosted: Sat December 09, 2017 5:41 pm 
Poster of the Year

spike wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
fuck the yankees

they still need pitching.

fuck 'em i say

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 14561 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 501, 502, 503, 504, 505, 506, 507 ... 729  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports