The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 436, 437, 438, 439, 440, 441, 442 ... 1306  Next
 Post subject: Re: The 45th POTUS - Donald J. Trump
PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 4:19 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Let the crows pick me clean but for my hat.

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 4:20 pm 
Rank This Poster

I don't really understand why people keep saying "it depends on whether you take the standard deduction or itemized deduction" when they write stories about the tax reform plans and how it would effect American families.

For most American families making less than $125,000 a year, does it ever really make sense to itemize? Why would most families not just take the standard deduction? Private/charter schools or something? What am I missing here?

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 4:28 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

run2death wrote:
I don't really understand why people keep saying "it depends on whether you take the standard deduction or itemized deduction" when they write stories about the tax reform plans and how it would effect American families.

For most American families making less than $125,000 a year, does it ever really make sense to itemize? Why would most families not just take the standard deduction? Private/charter schools or something? What am I missing here?

401k/Roth/529 contributions, mortgage interest, daycare, healthcare costs, SALT. But yeah, if Trump wanted real tax reform and not just a trickle down cut, it would be a reworking that simplifies the code not just changes the numbers in the existing rules.

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 4:33 pm 
Rank This Poster

Bi_3 wrote:
run2death wrote:

401k/Roth/529 contributions, mortgage interest, daycare, healthcare costs, SALT. But yeah, if Trump wanted real tax reform and not just a trickle down cut, it would be a reworking that simplifies the code not just changes the numbers in the existing rules.

I have all those things but mortgage interest and I don't even come close to itemizing.

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 4:37 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

run2death wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
run2death wrote:

I have all those things but mortgage interest and I don't even come close to itemizing.

You may want to talk to a tax professional then. Just don't count on any relief from the Turnip's reform plan.

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 4:50 pm 
Rank This Poster

Yeah, I've read the stats, but it seems like a family in the $75,000 to $100,000 bracket would have to live well beyond its means (giant mortgage/private schools) to make itemizing worth while.

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 5:04 pm 
Site Admin

So I had a short bit of fun last night searching for Trump on the old board. Most mentions of him were actually from his infamous "showdown" with Vince McMahon. But I did find this, helping to answer a question that I've been so curious about:

http://archive.theskyiscrape.com/viewto ... 66#p786466

LittleWing wrote:
Personally, I'd prefer a successful business person run my state...like Tom Golisano. I cringe at the thought of Trump running New York State, or any state for that matter.
The next question is whether 2016 LittleWing would agree with 2006 LittleWing, especially when the major opponent is Hillary Clinton.

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 5:08 pm 
Future Drummer

I think the pussy-grabbing tape would have won LW over.

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 7:09 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

https://www.amazon.com/Trump-America-Gr ... geNumber=2

The reviews.

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 7:10 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

At this point I welcome Armageddon. And no, I don't care if it stars Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck.

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 7:16 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Seriously though folks, read those Amazon reviews.

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 7:18 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 7:45 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

This is actually pretty funny

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 7:55 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

That's wild, baby.

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 8:00 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

bart wrote:
I think the pussy-grabbing tape would have won LW over.

LW was the best.

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 9:11 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Exclusive: Previously undisclosed emails show follow-up after Trump Tower meeting

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2017/12/07/poli ... ssion=true

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 9:25 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

And so I'm offering this simple phrase
To kids from one to ninety-two
Although it's been said many times, many ways
But-her-emails, to you.

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 10:16 pm 
The Master

Quote:
Alabama’s Republican candidate for Senate, Roy Moore, says America needs to be a bit more like it was when it had slaves.

This is not a joke or exaggeration. When asked earlier this year when America was last great, Moore acknowledged, according to the Los Angeles Times, that the country had a history of racial tensions. Then he answered the question: “I think it was great at the time when families were united — even though we had slavery — they cared for one another. … Our families were strong, our country had a direction.”

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 10:30 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Like that's going to change anyone's mind at this stage of the game. He's going to bump it up to 11 these next few days.

Quote:
Franks Will Retire from Congress

December 7, 2017 at 5:16 pm ESTBy Taegan Goddard0 Comments

Rep. Trent Franks (R-AZ) is expected to resign from Congress, Roll Call reports.

“It is unclear exactly why Franks is stepping down, but one Arizona Republican said there had been rumors of inappropriate behavior. The Republican said the congressman had apparently been making plans to run for Senate in 2012, but abruptly canceled those plans.”
I don't know what the 2012 thing is about but I'm seeing this in a lot of places.

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 10:33 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Strat wrote:
Quote:
Alabama’s Republican candidate for Senate, Roy Moore, says America needs to be a bit more like it was when it had slaves.

This is not a joke or exaggeration. When asked earlier this year when America was last great, Moore acknowledged, according to the Los Angeles Times, that the country had a history of racial tensions. Then he answered the question: “I think it was great at the time when families were united — even though we had slavery — they cared for one another. … Our families were strong, our country had a direction.”

This sounds like a mangled version of the Larry Elder argument about culture and black families. Which is something like "black people made more social and economic progress when they had nuclear families and the dissolution of the black family is recent thing... see Pat Monyhan's paper on it form the 70s, heck blacks had higher marriage rates when they slaves!" He's a common guest on Fox when they need "the non-threatening black opinion" and I assume Moore has a Trumpian information bubble.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 436, 437, 438, 439, 440, 441, 442 ... 1306  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate