The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 191  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Supreme Court
PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

Bi_3 wrote:
I'm confused by all the fake news about this case... did the baker offer to sell them an existing cake from the store (just not decorate as they requested)? Did the baker sell cakes for other LGBTQ events? What is real anymore?!?!?!?!
As I understand the facts (copied from that Carpenter/Volokh brief I linked):

Quote:
In 2012, Respondent Craig and Mullins walked into Masterpiece Cakeshop and were looking through a photo album of owner Jack Phillips’s custom-designed cakes. Phillips sat down to greet them at a consultation table. According to Phillips’s own account, “the men said they wanted a wedding cake for ‘our wedding.’” Phillips replied that he does not “create wedding cakes for same-sex weddings.” Phillips then added, “I’ll make your birthday cakes, shower cakes, sell you cookies and brownies, I just don’t make cakes for same-sex weddings.” The couple got up and left, with no further discussion. The entire exchange lasted 20 seconds.

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 3:50 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Green Habit wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
I'm confused by all the fake news about this case... did the baker offer to sell them an existing cake from the store (just not decorate as they requested)? Did the baker sell cakes for other LGBTQ events? What is real anymore?!?!?!?!

Quote:
In 2012, Respondent Craig and Mullins walked into Masterpiece Cakeshop and were looking through a photo album of owner Jack Phillips’s custom-designed cakes. Phillips sat down to greet them at a consultation table. According to Phillips’s own account, “the men said they wanted a wedding cake for ‘our wedding.’” Phillips replied that he does not “create wedding cakes for same-sex weddings.” Phillips then added, “I’ll make your birthday cakes, shower cakes, sell you cookies and brownies, I just don’t make cakes for same-sex weddings.” The couple got up and left, with no further discussion. The entire exchange lasted 20 seconds.

Y'know, I don't think businesses should be able to discriminate, but this really just looks like some liberals looking for a problem where there wasn't one.

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 3:57 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Green Habit wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:

Quote:

That's definitely discrimination against a protected class engaging in a legal activity, but in such a limited scope I could totally see a judge siding with the baker. (Allegedly the baker doesn't do Halloween cakes that depict gore for religious reasons as well.)

B wrote:
Y'know, I don't think businesses should be able to discriminate, but this really just looks like some liberals looking for a problem where there wasn't one.

My first thought as well, but I haven't read anything to suggest the couple was acting in bad faith, and we are at a point where the SCOTUS could become very unfriendly to certain communities should Kennedy or Ginsberg retire during Trump's reign so maybe it's fight to have now.

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 5:08 pm 
Site Admin

Bi_3 wrote:
(Allegedly the baker doesn't do Halloween cakes that depict gore for religious reasons as well.)
A friend of mine in Denver says this baker turned down a request from his wife to make Harry Potter themed stuff, because witchcraft.

PostPosted: Mon December 11, 2017 8:48 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Wed December 13, 2017 9:09 pm 
Site Admin

Did the Alabama Special Election Increase the Odds of Justice Kennedy's Retirement?

http://reason.com/volokh/2017/12/13/did ... on-increas

PostPosted: Thu December 14, 2017 1:49 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Green Habit wrote:
Did the Alabama Special Election Increase the Odds of Justice Kennedy's Retirement?

Hopefully Trump will identify a suitable judge that is suddenly moore available.

PostPosted: Thu December 14, 2017 1:55 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Bi_3 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

Hopefully Trump will identify a suitable judge that is suddenly moore available.

PostPosted: Thu December 14, 2017 2:06 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Green Habit wrote:

That's a pretty decent prediction although I would hope it'd be on the day he reads from his Gill v. Whitford / Benisek v. Lamone opinion ending partisan gerrymandering.

PostPosted: Thu December 14, 2017 2:26 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

4/5 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

That's a pretty decent prediction although I would hope it'd be on the day he reads from his Gill v. Whitford / Benisek v. Lamone opinion ending partisan gerrymandering.

Partisan gerrymandering? Not here in Maryland!

PostPosted: Thu December 14, 2017 5:37 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I'm surprised they even dare to use the term in NC. The 4th and the 12th are just the natural flow of the state's population.

PostPosted: Thu December 14, 2017 7:15 pm 
Site Admin

Bi_3 wrote:
4/5 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

The Court did just accept a case dealing with MD.

PostPosted: Thu December 14, 2017 7:20 pm 
See you in another life, brother

Green Habit wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
4/5 wrote:
Green Habit wrote:

The Court did just accept a case dealing with MD.

I'm hoping that's to give them cover from accusations of partisanship if they were to strike down the Wisconsin map.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:03 pm 
Poster of the Year

It's gonna be great when I can sit at Fenway Park, open up an app, and place a legal prop bet mid game.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 5:12 pm 
The Master

cutuphalfdead wrote:
It's gonna be great when I can sit at Fenway Park, open up an app, and place a legal prop bet mid game.

Yup. Good day for sports fans.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:04 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

cutuphalfdead wrote:

Lukin -> Not for You 3:1

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:47 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Bi_3 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

Parlay that with the over on number of covers played and there's your kids' college funds.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:48 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

Simple Torture wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

Parlay that with the over on number of covers played and there's your kids' college funds.

How high would the over/under on covers have to be for you to stay away? If it were 6.5 I would still put action on it.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:49 pm 
Poster of the Year

Simple Torture wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

How high would the over/under on covers have to be for you to stay away? If it were 6.5 I would still put action on it.

Is Crazy Mary a cover?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:57 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

Is Crazy Mary a cover?

I have long argued that it shouldn't be counted as one, but most setlist trackers do.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3819 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 191  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate