The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 416 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hot Sauce Committee
PostPosted: Mon September 18, 2017 4:45 am 
Looks Like a Cat

cutuphalfdead wrote:
I really like the flavor of the green one especially though. I'll have to experiment with some other brands.

Just come to Houston and sample the red and the green from the Tierra Caliente truck already.

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Thu November 02, 2017 3:12 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Hey guys I just bought this

I only bought it because the name is funny but it's actually quite delicious. Kind of a tangy, mustardy taste.

Not as hot as the name would imply but a decent level of heat.

PostPosted: Thu November 02, 2017 3:15 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

"bodysnatcher recommended"

PostPosted: Wed December 06, 2017 1:54 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Ordered the following:

- Queen Majesty Red Habanero & Black Coffee
- Pain is Good Jamaican Style
- Bravado Spice Ghost Pepper and Blueberry
- Bravado Spice Pineapple and Habanero
- Secret Aardvark Habanero
- Dirty Dick's Hot Pepper Sauce with a Tropical Twist

Let's see how we do

PostPosted: Wed December 06, 2017 9:36 pm 
Poster of the Year

pineapple/habanero sounds good

PostPosted: Wed December 06, 2017 9:37 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Yeah I wanna try some fruity sauces

PostPosted: Wed December 06, 2017 9:38 pm 
Poster of the Year

PostPosted: Wed December 06, 2017 10:11 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

This stuff is widely available and a pretty good addition to your Mexican sauce arsenal. Despite its name, I would categorize this more as an enchilada type of sauce than a tortilla dip. Decent little kick even in Medium.

PostPosted: Wed December 06, 2017 10:12 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I'm going to get this one:

It's from the youtube show Hot Ones, where celebrities eat hot wings during an interview. It's like the fifth of ten in their sauce line-up, designed for the show, and is usually well-liked by the celebrities and host. Also a pineappley hot sauce.

PostPosted: Wed December 06, 2017 10:14 pm 

I'm kind of a hot sauce rube, but I'm getting into it. Right now, I just put Frank's Red Hot on cauliflower hot wings and Sriracha on everything.

PostPosted: Wed December 06, 2017 11:58 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Frank's Red Hot is pretty basic but also a classic. I actually really like it.

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 12:56 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

The Argonaut wrote:
I'm kind of a hot sauce rube, but I'm getting into it. Right now, I just put Frank's Red Hot on cauliflower hot wings and Sriracha on everything.

Keep a bottle of Valentina around

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 4:25 am 

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

:nice: That's the first hot sauce in the Hot Ones lineup this season.

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 4:51 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

The Argonaut wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
The Argonaut wrote:

:nice: That's the first hot sauce in the Hot Ones lineup this season.

Nice. I've only tried the first two in the lineup, Valentina and Crystal. Super good, but both similar in that they're kind of thin and vinegary. I also bought two of the other ones in the lineup-- Secret Aardvark and Dirty Dick's, which are both supposed to be great. I bought a Queen Majesty, but the black coffee flavor.

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 5:13 am 

People seem to enjoy all of the first five to six sauces. They included some sauces that no one thought were tasty in earlier seasons. It's a good show.

PostPosted: Mon December 11, 2017 7:41 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Crystal is meant for gumbo and such. The thin, vinegary character works perfectly for that. This stuff is even better.

PostPosted: Mon December 11, 2017 2:22 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

Crystal is really good on collard greens.

I'm slowly finishing up some of this stuff (it lives up to the name):

PostPosted: Wed December 13, 2017 2:08 am 
Future Drummer

washing machine wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
I really like the flavor of the green one especially though. I'll have to experiment with some other brands.

Just come to Houston and sample the red and the green from the Tierra Caliente truck already.

Spoiler: show

:heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat: :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Sat January 13, 2018 5:54 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

So these are the sauces I ended up buying during my time in the States. Some were ordered from Amazon, some were picked up at grocery stores, and some were bought at this wonderful little specialty store in LA called Light My Fire (at the Farmers Market right next to The Grove; Doug, I recommend it if you've never been):

Left to right:
- Frank's Red Hot Original. Basic, but classic. Really love this stuff. Had to get a bottle.
- Walkerswood Jonkanoo Hot Sauce. Picked this up at a Publix in Miami. Haven't tried it yet.
- Bravado Spice Pineapple and Habanero. Delicious. Not super hot, but very tasty. Was the first one we finished. Goes wonderfully with pizza. You'll notice we had to use a wine cork because we lost the cap in a discarded pizza box. Ordered a second bottle of this.
- Tabasco Green Jalapeño. It's good! It's a nice twist on the classic Tabasco taste, and it's a table-pleaser because it's fairly mild.
- Huy Fong Chili Garlic Sauce. Really nice, though more of a "paste" than a sauce. This is going on memory because I've had it before but I haven't opened this one yet.
- Huy Fong Sriracha. Still one of the best. It's just really versatile, goes great on literally everything. I love Sriracha.
- Pickapeppa Spicy Mango Sauce. Crazy addictive. Really nice tangy mango flavor and not super hot.
- Dirty Dick's Hot Pepper Sauce With a Tropical Twist. A flavor explosion. VERY fruity. This might turn some people off because of how sweet it is but I really loved it.
- Queen Majesty Red Habanero & Black Coffee. It's good, but I'm still kind of warming up to it. It's a very... particular taste, and I could see it only going well with certain flavor profiles. Definitely not a "put it on everything" kind of sauce, but very layered and interesting.
- Great White Shark Predator Hot Sauce. Got this one as a gift from my brother. Holy shit, the hottest sauce I've ever had. The taste is nice enough, but the heat is extreme. I'm talking can-actually-hurt-human-beings hot. I suggest using a few drops at a time. I could see myself cooking with this, but not applying it directly to a finished meal.
- Secret Aardvark Habanero Sauce. SO fucking good. Probably my favorite of the bunch. This stuff is awesome. I ended up buying two more bottles 'cause I knew I'd finish the first one in no time. A "Caribbean / Tex-Mex hybrid", really delicious mix of tomato flavor with the habanero and white wine vinegar, with a good amount of heat. Did not expect to like this one this much, but it won me over immediately. My recommendation to all of you.
- Bravado Spice Blueberry and Ghost Pepper. Delicious. Would love to have this one on pancakes. A very nice blueberry flavor. Expected it to be hotter from the ghost pepper, but it's wonderful.
- Cholula Green Pepper and Cholula Chili Garlic. I also got these as gifts. I've had them both before and they're quite tasty but not very hot. Cholula always leaves me wanting more heat.
- Frank's Red Hot Sweet Chili and Frank's Red Hot Wings Sauce. Both solid, but not as good as the original. Sweet Chili one was especially good on sandwiches.

- Nando's Peri Peri Sauce. I've heard it's quite good but I haven't tried it yet.
- Pain Is Good Fire Roasted Green Sriracha Pepper. Really good stuff, and fairly mild for Pain is Good. Unfortunately this bottle broke during travel, but not before I had a good amount of it on some tacos a few nights before.
- Marie Sharpe's Habanero Pepper Sauce. This one was recommended by the girl who worked at Light My Fire. It's got a really nice, savory kind of onions-and-carrots flavor that is a nice contrast from the other fruitier stuff I bought.
- Gringo Bandito Super Hot. I've been wanting to try this one for a while because it's made by the guy from The Offspring, my first-ever favorite rock band. His hot sauce is better than his music. Nice savory flavor and a decent amount of heat.
- Pain is Good Garlic Style. I've never had a Pain is Good sauce I didn't like. This one's no exception. I only tried a little bit of it but I can tell this one's going to be a favorite.
- Dr. Assburn's Fire Roasted Habanero Pepper Sauce. Probably my least favorite sauce I bought. It's got an interesting, dark, smoky flavor, and it's REALLY hot, but it's also overwhelmingly salty. I can see myself experimenting with this one in the future, trying to make it a bit more palatable, but right out of the bottle it's not very good.
- Dave's Gourmet Creamy Garlic Red Pepper. I hadn't purchased this one originally, but my sister did. We walked over to a little empanada place nearby and she opened it and we tried it and I knew I needed to get one for my own. A really rich, smooth, creamy garlic flavor. On the mild side, but very tasty.

Not pictured here:
- Pain is Good Jamaican Style. Really wonderful flavor. Just a hint of sweetness complements the spices perfectly. Also: very hot.
- Pain is Good Louisiana Style. I haven't opened this one but I've tried it before and it's great. Kind of like a very spicy BBQ sauce, which is a good thing in my book.

PostPosted: Wed January 17, 2018 5:58 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Just reiterating my love of Secret Aardvark Habanero Hot Sauce. Second bottle is pretty much gone.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 416 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 21  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining