The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 209  Next

Who will win the national championship?
Clemson 40%  40%  [ 6 ]
LSU 60%  60%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 15
 Post subject: Re: College Football
PostPosted: Sun December 03, 2017 9:31 pm 
Gone

Saying college football is stagnant while brontosaurus QBs like Brett Hundley roam the NFL landscape weekly is pretty funny.

PostPosted: Sun December 03, 2017 9:33 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

AL

PostPosted: Sun December 03, 2017 9:33 pm 
The Master

verb_to_trust wrote:
Saying college football is stagnant while brontosaurus QBs like Brett Hundley roam the NFL landscape weekly is pretty funny.

My interest is waning in the pro product as well. And before you assume, this was the case prior to Rodgers' boo boo.

PostPosted: Sun December 03, 2017 9:35 pm 
The Master

spike wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
spike wrote:
Fun and interesting few weeks of football, same boring and predictable result. An expanded playoff field really would inject some life into this stagnant sport.

Yeah, it would be much easier to determine the 8th and 9th best team in the country...

Not the point. It's simple math; expansion would allow the possibility of a more diverse group of teams into the college postseason every year simply by having more spots available.

It would be roughly the same dozen or so teams every year in that format too.

PostPosted: Sun December 03, 2017 9:39 pm 
The Master

Monkey_Driven wrote:
spike wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
spike wrote:
Fun and interesting few weeks of football, same boring and predictable result. An expanded playoff field really would inject some life into this stagnant sport.

Yeah, it would be much easier to determine the 8th and 9th best team in the country...

Not the point. It's simple math; expansion would allow the possibility of a more diverse group of teams into the college postseason every year simply by having more spots available.

Okay, let's assume that's actually a valid statement, a playoff system would still increase potential for a more diverse final four or two every year.

PostPosted: Sun December 03, 2017 11:14 pm 
The Master

spike wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
spike wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
spike wrote:

Okay, let's assume that's actually a valid statement, a playoff system would still increase potential for a more diverse final four or two every year.

Maybe, it could also lead to a lot of the same teams blowing out the lower seeds. There's never going to be a perfect system with 110+ FBS teams to determine a champ without playing an extended playoff that would cheapen the regular season. Let's give this format a few more years to see what new teams come into the fold. In four years there have been 8 different teams in this thing.

Just look at the past 20 years of college ball. I would expect another 4-6 new teams cycling into the four team playoff in the next five years due to the cyclical nature of the sport.

PostPosted: Sun December 03, 2017 11:49 pm 
Site Admin

Monkey_Driven wrote:
I would expect another 4-6 new teams cycling into the four team playoff in the next five years due to the cyclical nature of the sport.
CFB is one of the least cyclical North American sports, though. Teams like Bama, USC, Michigan, tOSU, ND, Texas, OU, etc. will always be good in the long run even if they have road bumps in the short run.

PostPosted: Mon December 04, 2017 12:05 am 
The Master

Green Habit wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
I would expect another 4-6 new teams cycling into the four team playoff in the next five years due to the cyclical nature of the sport.
CFB is one of the least cyclical North American sports, though. Teams like Bama, USC, Michigan, tOSU, ND, Texas, OU, etc. will always be good in the long run even if they have road bumps in the short run.

Of course. Those teams in down periods will eventually cycle in along with a random team or two.

PostPosted: Mon December 04, 2017 12:37 am 
Rank This Poster

College Football is about Recruiting, Money and Coaching at the FBS level. It’s mostly about money generation and who gets the money.

PostPosted: Mon December 04, 2017 12:42 am 
Site Admin

Food for thought: if we were still in the BCS era everyone would be having vicious arguments right now regarding Oklahoma ranked over Georgia. UGA clearly had the much better loss between the two. Instead it's a big nothingburger.

PostPosted: Mon December 04, 2017 1:18 am 
The Master

Electromatic wrote:
College Football is about Recruiting, Money and Coaching at the FBS level. It’s mostly about money generation and who gets the money.

Yup. And it is not a sport where a generational star can lead a mid tier team to a championship.

PostPosted: Mon December 04, 2017 1:37 am 
The Master

Monkey_Driven wrote:
spike wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
spike wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
spike wrote:

Maybe, it could also lead to a lot of the same teams blowing out the lower seeds. There's never going to be a perfect system with 110+ FBS teams to determine a champ without playing an extended playoff that would cheapen the regular season. Let's give this format a few more years to see what new teams come into the fold. In four years there have been 8 different teams in this thing.

Just look at the past 20 years of college ball. I would expect another 4-6 new teams cycling into the four team playoff in the next five years due to the cyclical nature of the sport.

Sounds good.

PostPosted: Mon December 04, 2017 2:14 am 
The Master

spike wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
spike wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
spike wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
spike wrote:

Sounds good.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue December 05, 2017 6:16 am 
mXn

I'm just glad I can still vote for UW in this poll. Go Dawgs!

PostPosted: Tue December 05, 2017 6:05 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

I'm looking forward to Clemson vs. Alabama 3. I know it's maybe not as exciting for people who aren't fans of either team, or casual fans in general, but I think it's a great matchup. This is pretty much the only time they get to play each other. Playing Bama is a pretty good indicator of where your team is; it's gonna be great.

Fun fact, last time Dabo was in the Sugar Bowl, he was as a player at Alabama. Hopefully this time he'll win as a coach.

PostPosted: Tue December 05, 2017 6:42 pm 
The Master

darth_vedder wrote:
I'm looking forward to Clemson vs. Alabama 3. I know it's maybe not as exciting for people who aren't fans of either team, or casual fans in general, but I think it's a great matchup. This is pretty much the only time they get to play each other. Playing Bama is a pretty good indicator of where your team is; it's gonna be great.

Fun fact, last time Dabo was in the Sugar Bowl, he was as a player at Alabama. Hopefully this time he'll win as a coach.

he will

PostPosted: Tue December 05, 2017 6:59 pm 
The Master

I'm excited to see both semifinal games. Good matchups. Glad they are on New Year's day this year.

PostPosted: Mon December 11, 2017 8:17 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
darth_vedder wrote:

he will

Let's hope so.:) It's been an interesting new rivalry between two schools with a lot of ties but not much on the field playing.

To me, Bama looks very similar to last year (not a knock, they made it the the championship), but Clemson is different. They still do a lot of the same stuff, but they have more of a 4 headed running system. I'm hoping Etienne can bust one or two loose. He's just a freshman with loads of potential.

PostPosted: Wed December 20, 2017 9:47 pm 
TIER 1 Essential Critical Infrastructure Worker

No one has commented about signing day?

PostPosted: Thu December 21, 2017 12:09 pm 
Rank This Poster

Biff Pocoroba wrote:
No one has commented about signing day?

Georgia had a good evening.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 209  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports