The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: Binaural / Riot Act / Avocado Vinyl Re-Issues?
PostPosted: Fri November 17, 2017 5:39 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Teeeeeekay wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
Teeeeeekay wrote:
Did anybody who ordered through soundstage get theirs yet? I ordered all 3 lps in an order and a handful of singles in another order.

I ordered all 3 from there and haven't heard a peep regarding shipping. I cancelled the order and am getting them separately through other retailers.

I have such a good pre-order price through Amazon that I'm holding off. My local chain doesn't even have them yet.

I called today, not because I'm angry but curious. They haven't received their allotment. Guy said they will start shipping next week sometime. Same with 7".

I called last Friday and the guy said the same thing (saying they would ship early this week)... :?

:|

It sounds like I may have wasted some money on these anyways. I've got the originals and really had no reason to preorder.

PostPosted: Fri November 17, 2017 6:36 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Im listening to the O Brien mix....yeah, a few thing sound a little mudded, specially the guitars in a few songs. But its mostly ok i guess. I prefer the other mix that appeared in Spotify a few months ago though.

PostPosted: Fri November 17, 2017 7:35 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

I guess I'm interested because it's less abrasive? I hope at least that rings true. And Binaural and Riot Act are my 2 favorite Pj albums so it's ok to have 2 copies.

I'll settle for mostly ok.

PostPosted: Mon November 20, 2017 1:28 am 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I can't figure out why they reissued 9 vinyl records on 11/10, but held nothing back for record store day, 2 weeks later.

PostPosted: Mon November 20, 2017 2:54 am 
I Have A Third Nipple

B wrote:
I can't figure out why they reissued 9 vinyl records on 11/10, but held nothing back for record store day, 2 weeks later.

Usually I'd be happy with a group avoiding RSD since it's such a clusterfuck. But this rollout has been so weird that it wouldn't have mattered.

PostPosted: Mon November 20, 2017 3:43 am 
Future Drummer

VinylGuy wrote:
I prefer the other mix that appeared in Spotify a few months ago though.

Isn't that just a better mastering of the original mix?

PostPosted: Mon November 20, 2017 3:55 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:
VinylGuy wrote:
I prefer the other mix that appeared in Spotify a few months ago though.

Isn't that just a better mastering of the original mix?

Yes.

PostPosted: Mon November 20, 2017 1:19 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I don't even know what to say here.
Quote:
There is nothing inherently wrong with the source files and we have received no other complaints. Please note, we do not record or master anything here at HDTracks. We receive the most up to date masters from our record label partners as does every high res retailer. The labels only provided what they have. Each retailer receives the same files. Each label has their own recording/mastering process. There is no universal standard. But we do ask that every label provide the best quality possible. Sometimes the clarity of the high res mastering may present qualities that were unnoticeable or masked in previous formats or versions. We do ask every label to take note of this when remastering. 

If those issues and "loudness wars" are a factor in your decisions then you might want to forgo a future purchase, as we have limited reasons for returns.
"We're just kidding about how we care about music, don't bother buying from us."

PostPosted: Mon November 20, 2017 3:28 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

Pretty sure there’s tons of stuff on HD Tracks which is mastered worse than previous releases; their only requirement is that the files are a higher bit-depth, not that they sound any good.

PostPosted: Mon November 20, 2017 8:37 pm 
Banned from the Pit

I also bought the Ten original mix 2017 vinyl and was pretty disappointed with the quality of the cover artwork. It seems like they couldn't find the original master artwork or something (wasn't that why they did the different sepia cover for the 2009 reissue?) and apparently just scanned the artwork from an original pressing vinyl copy, because this reissue looks like a bootleg.

My original pressing vinyl is left, the new 2017 vinyl reissue is right:
Even though these photos were taken with my phone, the quality difference/lack of detail is pretty clear.

Last edited by FredPJ on Mon November 20, 2017 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon November 20, 2017 8:39 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

FredPJ wrote:
I also bought the Ten original mix 2017 vinyl and was pretty disappointed with the quality of the cover artwork. It seems like they couldn't find the original master artwork or something (wasn't that why they did the different sepia cover for the 2009 reissue?) and apparently just scanned the artwork from an original pressing vinyl copy, because this reissue artwork looks like a bootleg.

Even though these photos were taken with my phone, the quality difference/lack of detail is pretty clear.

If you already had the original pressing.......why get the 2017 reissue?

PostPosted: Mon November 20, 2017 8:42 pm 
Poster of the Year

Rangi Guy wrote:
FredPJ wrote:
I also bought the Ten original mix 2017 vinyl and was pretty disappointed with the quality of the cover artwork. It seems like they couldn't find the original master artwork or something (wasn't that why they did the different sepia cover for the 2009 reissue?) and apparently just scanned the artwork from an original pressing vinyl copy, because this reissue artwork looks like a bootleg.

If you already had the original pressing.......why get the 2017 reissue?

PostPosted: Mon November 20, 2017 8:48 pm 
Banned from the Pit

My original pressing copy is pretty beaten up and wanted to get a mint brand new copy of Ten with the original artwork (I don't quite like the 2009 reissue cover), but this isn't what I had in mind.

PostPosted: Mon November 20, 2017 10:10 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

FredPJ wrote:
I also bought the Ten original mix 2017 vinyl and was pretty disappointed with the quality of the cover artwork. It seems like they couldn't find the original master artwork or something (wasn't that why they did the different sepia cover for the 2009 reissue?) and apparently just scanned the artwork from an original pressing vinyl copy, because this reissue looks like a bootleg.

I've heard that the singles have similar pixelation issues.

PostPosted: Mon November 20, 2017 11:49 pm 
A Return To Form

The reason the 2009 version had the sepia look was because that’s the look the band originally wanted for the original release but time was low and the label said that the hot pink was the final cover. I believe I remember reading that Jeff was quite pissed about it at the time.

PostPosted: Mon November 20, 2017 11:51 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

yeah, the 2009 reissue was how he wanted the cover to look at the time.
I prefer the original one.

PostPosted: Wed November 22, 2017 1:29 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Simple Torture wrote:
FredPJ wrote:

I've heard that the singles have similar pixelation issues.

The graphics look fine on my Save You and WWS singles.

PostPosted: Wed November 22, 2017 1:35 pm 
AnalLog

FredPJ wrote:

PostPosted: Wed November 22, 2017 4:50 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

bune wrote:
I don't even know what to say here.
Quote:
There is nothing inherently wrong with the source files and we have received no other complaints. Please note, we do not record or master anything here at HDTracks. We receive the most up to date masters from our record label partners as does every high res retailer. The labels only provided what they have. Each retailer receives the same files. Each label has their own recording/mastering process. There is no universal standard. But we do ask that every label provide the best quality possible. Sometimes the clarity of the high res mastering may present qualities that were unnoticeable or masked in previous formats or versions. We do ask every label to take note of this when remastering. 

If those issues and "loudness wars" are a factor in your decisions then you might want to forgo a future purchase, as we have limited reasons for returns.
"We're just kidding about how we care about music, don't bother buying from us."

I've been mulling this and it's really sticking in my craw.

PostPosted: Fri November 24, 2017 9:35 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

I had the Binaural and Riot Act LPs in a shopping cart on Bestbuy.com for some reason and navigated over there today to see what sort of video games were on sale. Turns out, the LPs were too--I got them for buy one / get one half off, so the order total was like $36. Estimated delivery date is 12/6

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam