The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 62  Next
 Post subject: Re: Let's Play Two: Live from Wrigley Field
PostPosted: Fri November 10, 2017 3:08 pm 
Banned from the Pit

torrent this thing already i put in anther reqest on revolution tt hope they can get it out there now it is on prime finger crossed

PostPosted: Fri November 10, 2017 3:26 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

No requests for illegal copies of commercially available material, please. :cop:

PostPosted: Fri November 10, 2017 3:32 pm 
Future Drummer
 WWW  Profile

I had no intention of watching this movie. It's not because I'm not a Cubs fan, or that I'm getting tired of the "oh cool, Pearl Jam is playing in a classic baseball stadium again" hype (which I am), it's more of a combination of the fact that I haven't been into PJ for a while now (they show no signs of reviving the creative spark that once had me obsessed with them for over 2 decades / plus I'm still pissed off I never received my Anthology: Complete Scores) and I'm a diehard Phillies fan who still has painful memories of being at the Spectrum finale in '09 on Halloween night while the hated Yanks were crushing our back-to-back World Series dream right across the street. That year, Fox was also playing PJ during all cut-ins during the World Series because they had licensed some 80 or so PJ songs to be used during the telecast. That was supposed to be our moment. ("our" as in diehard Pearl Jam AND Philly sports fans... :wave: ) And then it all went to hell. From then on, all things Peal Jam mixed with baseball was a big no-no. In fact, my whole PJ fandom took a major hit that night. It's never been the same since really.

But within the past week, it's like Pearl Jam has tried to forcefully wedge itself back into my life like a forlorn lover. My wife surprisingly bought me a copy of the Rolling Stone Special Collectors Edition (which I was completely unaware of because I'm way out of the loop) and left it for me as a surprise. At first glance, I thought "oh great, I get to read about the origin story again for the 50 thousandth time." However, for those who haven't read it yet, it's well worth the investment. It is a very entertaining read. There are a bunch of stories in there that I either never heard before or completely forgot about. (Example, first time I can recall hearing about Ed's insomnia issues.) After that, I was browsing around Amazon last night and I came across this movie so I figured I'd give it a shot. My wife walked into the living room and said "Are you having another Pearl Jam revival?" "Ha! No, don't worry. It just came out. I figured I'd watch some of it."

Two and a half hours later.... "HOLY SHIT... that was really freakin' good!" The sound was incredible. The cinematography was completely spot on. And yea, although it involved a heavy dose of Ten songs and "hits" and completely neglected the beauty of No Code, Binaural and Riot Act (not surprisingly), none of that detracted from the beautiful vibe of the movie. Ed was like a kid exercising his demons of disappointment. In fact, there was a lot of "World Series disappointment" healing in it for me as well. And I realize now, that it had to happen this way. Because although in '09 Ed was at the Phillies games wearing a Phillies cap and going along for the ride as an "adopted fan" (he was also good friends with Raul Ibanez) that wasn't the moment he was looking for. If the Phillies had won it all that year, perhaps we would've ended up with a movie of the Spectrum shows and Ed hanging out in a Phillies press box and so forth. But in the end, that would have all felt too forced. This movie was all about Ed getting his moment and I'm happy for him that it all worked out for him. With the baseball aspect of it set to the side though, this is just a surprisingly great movie. Even if you're not a baseball fan, there's something beautiful about the human experience that any Pearl Jam fan can appreciate about this movie.

p.s. Let the revival begin :bammer:

PostPosted: Fri November 10, 2017 3:41 pm 
Stone's Bitch

bluestate wrote:
p.s. Let the revival begin :bammer:

:bammer:

PostPosted: Fri November 10, 2017 3:45 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

The Jeremy on this is really good. Jeff's playing like a beast

PostPosted: Fri November 10, 2017 3:56 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Jesus that Inside Job...

PostPosted: Fri November 10, 2017 4:16 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Jesus that Inside Job...

What would you rate it? nine out of eleven?

PostPosted: Fri November 10, 2017 4:29 pm 

Sigh

PostPosted: Fri November 10, 2017 4:32 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
I'm finally watching this. It's really fucking good. I love this band. So much.

What was your final impression?

PostPosted: Fri November 10, 2017 4:34 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Seems I’m not the only one that can turn opinion on a dime :)

PostPosted: Fri November 10, 2017 5:19 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

durdencommatyler wrote:

Its fucking great. And yes, i love them.

PostPosted: Fri November 17, 2017 9:30 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Anybody check out the bonus material yet?

PostPosted: Fri November 17, 2017 9:42 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

Lukin's on there as an Easter Egg if you go all the way to the right on bonus material screen.

PostPosted: Sat November 18, 2017 9:37 pm 
Champion of RM

I watched this for the first time today on BluRay. It was as I expected and very well done. Those early reviews were really, really misleading - it's as if they watched an entirely different movie. My least favorite aspect was the inclusion of Lukin as a hidden track. For those who don't remember, Ed stopped Lukin to yell at a fan and kick him out. It didn't need to be included. It comes off as incredibly self-righteous to include that incident on a major retail release. They Bartman'd that fan.

PostPosted: Sat November 18, 2017 9:41 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Jesus that Inside Job...

aw huh

PostPosted: Sat November 18, 2017 11:32 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

CopperTom wrote:
I watched this for the first time today on BluRay. It was as I expected and very well done. Those early reviews were really, really misleading - it's as if they watched an entirely different movie. My least favorite aspect was the inclusion of Lukin as a hidden track. For those who don't remember, Ed stopped Lukin to yell at a fan and kick him out. It didn't need to be included. It comes off as incredibly self-righteous to include that incident on a major retail release. They Bartman'd that fan.

That was weird, but I figure decisions about what's on that DVD are made by Danny Clinch with very little band discussion.

PostPosted: Sat November 18, 2017 11:36 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Monkey_Driven wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

What was your final impression?

Thoroughly enjoyed it. Well made and a welcomed addition to the Pearl Jam library. That Inside Job pretty much made me change my mind about the song. The stuff on the rooftop was aces! I really loved this. It was heartfelt and emotional but also celebratory and energetic. Highly recommend it.

PostPosted: Sun November 19, 2017 4:03 am 
Rank This Poster

I guess I need to watch this soon.

PostPosted: Mon November 20, 2017 10:54 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

You think if a guy ordered the LP, the blu-ray and purchased a ticket to this thing would have digital access to the bonus material. :shake:

PostPosted: Mon November 20, 2017 11:18 pm 
Future Drummer

Anyone know if the bluray is getting a release in Australia? No sign of it yet...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 62  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam