The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Portable HD music players.
PostPosted: Thu July 06, 2017 9:09 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

theplatypus wrote:
Simple Torture wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
I don't really pay too much attention to the album art before loading the songs onto the device, because I don't really care that much about it. So sometimes it shows up and other times it doesn't, but I assume that's because many of the albums I have are missing the artwork, not because the device is mishandling it.

You're a fucking monster.

Why would album art be important in a music device? My beloved iPod classic lost all sense of reality some time ago and I couldn't give less of a fuck

nah, that really irritates me. the tracks have gotta have artwork and it's gotta be the right artwork or i get IRRITATED.

PostPosted: Thu July 06, 2017 4:07 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

I'm going to buy the PXC 550 Sennheisers. Bluetooth. Noise cancelling. Over the ear.

PostPosted: Thu July 06, 2017 4:09 pm 
Poster of the Year

You usually can't go wrong with Sennheisers. Unless you buy the $10 cans but then that's on you.

PostPosted: Tue November 14, 2017 6:05 pm 
A Return To Form

Teeeeeekay wrote:
I loaded up my 2 256 GB SD cards last night. Installed them and formatted right through the x5. (Awesome)

Downloaded dbpoweramp to tag files.

This thing is starting to get my rocks off. I love it.

My next step is to figure out if I can adjust volume equally across my entire catalog.

How are you liking your Fiio X5? Any issues?

PostPosted: Thu November 16, 2017 3:53 am 

I am absolutely loving it. I have roughly 11,000 FLAC files on it at the moment and it lags every once in while (in motion, not sound) but not enough to bother me. I usually turn it on and let it play through an album. I've had no issues with artwor since the first couple of weeks. The sound has been fantastic. I'm hearing layers of songs I've never heard before. It's incredible. Definitely worth the money.

I never looked into getting the volume equal across all songs, it just sounds too daunting of a task.

PostPosted: Thu November 16, 2017 2:28 pm 
Thread Killer

dbpowerampforum wrote:
dMC r11.5 and the dMC FLAC codec (from Codec Central) would work just fine. You can do the entire set in one go, but it is recommended to test it with a few files first to make sure you don't get clipping. Also, note that normalization only makes quiet files louder, it does NOT quiet loud files.

When you right-click on your files and click Convert To, you would select FLAC from the drop-down list, and then click on "DSP Effects". You then add "Voume Normalization" (I think that is its name) to the left-hand side after you put in a percentage. The dMC help is better at explaining this than I am.

PostPosted: Thu November 16, 2017 3:09 pm 

dpupenya wrote:
dbpowerampforum wrote:
dMC r11.5 and the dMC FLAC codec (from Codec Central) would work just fine. You can do the entire set in one go, but it is recommended to test it with a few files first to make sure you don't get clipping. Also, note that normalization only makes quiet files louder, it does NOT quiet loud files.

When you right-click on your files and click Convert To, you would select FLAC from the drop-down list, and then click on "DSP Effects". You then add "Voume Normalization" (I think that is its name) to the left-hand side after you put in a percentage. The dMC help is better at explaining this than I am.

:shock: I love this place. Not sure if I can highlight all files and do this or if it had to be done folder by folder.

PostPosted: Thu November 16, 2017 5:44 pm 
Thread Killer

I would select say 3 folders and attempt it... it will either let you or not, and then it wouldn't take long to finish if it allows and then you can test results..

PostPosted: Thu November 16, 2017 6:09 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Teeeeeekay wrote:
dpupenya wrote:
dbpowerampforum wrote:

:shock: I love this place. Not sure if I can highlight all files and do this or if it had to be done folder by folder.
I'm not home so I don't have the full verbiage but it's something like "dbPowerAmp folder convert" when you right click on a folder. It opens up a batch program basically and you tell it to convert the entire thing. I do that when I download a full discography and it converts every music file in the associated folders. You can even tell it to do folder 1 2 and 5 and skip 3 and 4.

PostPosted: Thu January 25, 2018 4:02 pm 
Anyone have strong opinions on the best/most reliable micro sd cards or are they all pretty much the same? I've had two sandisk ultras go bad on me in the last year so I'm hesitant to drop $40+ on another one.

edit: for storing/listening to music, obv

PostPosted: Thu February 22, 2018 6:22 pm 

Now for some reason I recently lost all the artwork on my player.

Reset database, rescanned songs it all came back. Then a day later it’s fone again.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:26 pm 

guestT wrote:
Anyone have strong opinions on the best/most reliable micro sd cards or are they all pretty much the same? I've had two sandisk ultras go bad on me in the last year so I'm hesitant to drop $40+ on another one.

edit: for storing/listening to music, obv

I’ve had 2 Sandisk 128G cards that have been working great for almost 2 years now. First and only ones I’ve had.

Do any of y’all use portable headphone amps with your HiRes players?

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:41 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I had one that I used for my iPod for awhile but it became too clunky to carry around. It's just a little inline thing so I could use it on anything but I'm not a fan.

The headphones I have now have a DAC built in and digital cables for iphones and for Sony's player line. The annoying part is that they don't sell replacement cables and the cheapest I've found the apple cable is $100. I'm more likely to buy another pair of headphones, swap cables, and return them.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:31 pm 

I had that bought but then I realized I bought this mostly to listen to at home when the family goes to bed. That way I can hear music the way it was intended, loud.

So I could probably get over the clunky-ness of it.

I pair my X5III with Sennheiser PXC550s. The headphones have a volume feature. And 3 different audio settings, basically off, club and some other one.

Would I benefit anything from a DAC if I already have some control through my headphones?

I might be missing the point completely.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:33 pm 
Poster of the Year

the internal DAC on your x5 is fine

the headphone amp would be worth it if you were just plugging your headphones into a laptop

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:38 pm 

That’s what I was just researching. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue December 03, 2019 5:28 am 

Hey hey hey hey

So, I smashed the fuck out of my X5 III. I came really close to pulling the trigger on the M11 but in an effort to save some cash I opted for the Sony A45. It was $170 after tax. Expandable storage (purchased a 1TB as card, through work thank god).

I’m hoping to pick it up Wednesday at the earliest.

PostPosted: Tue December 03, 2019 4:00 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

that's what I have. the interface is a little slow at times but it plays the tracks and it does it natively so all of the files ripped from SACD will play instead of having to be converted to FLAC.

PostPosted: Wed December 04, 2019 3:21 pm 

bune wrote:
that's what I have. the interface is a little slow at times but it plays the tracks and it does it natively so all of the files ripped from SACD will play instead of having to be converted to FLAC.

I can deal with a slow interface. I’m kind of happy to cut all the extra stuff out (WiFi, apps, etc). I just want a stand alone player. Hopefully I enjoy this.

PostPosted: Wed December 04, 2019 4:12 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

The main problem I have with the interface is the slider to move through a track has an effective range of maybe two to three pixels because I always end up sliding the screen sideways instead of scrubbing. It's got NFC bluetooth and it's pretty awesome to just tap them to my headphones and they're connected.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands