The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6909 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 346  Next
 Post subject: Re: America..why won't you just ban the fucking gun?
PostPosted: Thu November 16, 2017 12:04 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Thu November 16, 2017 5:13 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Nor Cal shooter was apparently a mentally unstable pot grower out on bail for assault. 160K bail sounds like a felony, yeah?

California has a special taskforce to collect firearms from prohibited people. Why don't we focus on that rather than cosmetic assault weapons bans that are damn near inscrutable?

PostPosted: Thu November 16, 2017 6:39 am 
The Master

simple schoolboy wrote:
Nor Cal shooter was apparently a mentally unstable pot grower out on bail for assault. 160K bail sounds like a felony, yeah?

California has a special taskforce to collect firearms from prohibited people. Why don't we focus on that rather than cosmetic assault weapons bans that are damn near inscrutable?

Why not both?

PostPosted: Thu November 16, 2017 12:45 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Monkey_Driven wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

Why not both?

Because if we can't enforce the laws we have are we going to be able to enforce new laws? This guy was literally out on bail for shooting at and stabbing his neighbors. Why was he allowed to keep his guns?

PostPosted: Thu November 16, 2017 7:29 pm 
The Master

Bi_3 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

Why not both?

Because if we can't enforce the laws we have are we going to be able to enforce new laws? This guy was literally out on bail for shooting at and stabbing his neighbors. Why was he allowed to keep his guns?

I'm saying why not an effort to enforce both laws. You know, actually devote resources to both.

PostPosted: Fri November 17, 2017 7:12 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Monkey_Driven wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

Why not both?

Maybe you missed the "damn near inscrutable" bit, but I refer specifically to laws that are unnecessarily vague and complex. If a prohibited feature is a "flash hider" and that feature is not well defined in the law, then how do I comply? Is a muzzle break a flash hider? That sure as hell matters to me if I'm transporting what I believe to be a legal rifle, and then I'm told its an unregistered assault weapon.

California Assault Weapon regulations mean that similarly configured rifles with relatively minor cosmetic differences can either be legal or illegal. The same rate of fire and same magazine capacity are common to these weapons, be they CA approved or not. Many of the stipulations are based largely on AR-15 pattern rifles, so the specific requirements are even less clear for rifles of a different pattern.

The new state laws on this are subject to arbitrary enforcement, and there's no logical basis for them other than trying to dissuade people from owning one of the most common semi-automatic rifles. A Ruger Mini-14 is (I believe) unaffected by the new law. A typical AR-15 is affected by the new law. Both accept detachable magazines, and fire the same cartridge at effectively the same rate.

In conclusion, Kevin DeLeon of the California state legislature should probably hire me as a consultant, because he sucks at writing firearm laws.

PostPosted: Fri November 17, 2017 7:18 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

simple schoolboy wrote:

Per the police he had two "illegal" rifles, if I'm not mistaken. I assume he bought 80 percent lowers or something of the sort and bought the uncontrolled components online or over the counter. Police had had complaints of gunshots emanating from his property but never got probable cause to search the place. (Seems like complaints + felony charge should lead to some sort of search)

His family was well aware that he had rage issues and had told him on several occasions to seek psychiatric assistance. Kinda seems like they should've committed him at some point, at least to get a diagnosis. :shake:

PostPosted: Tue November 28, 2017 8:53 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

simple schoolboy wrote:
simple schoolboy wrote:

Per the police he had two "illegal" rifles, if I'm not mistaken. I assume he bought 80 percent lowers or something of the sort and bought the uncontrolled components online or over the counter. Police had had complaints of gunshots emanating from his property but never got probable cause to search the place. (Seems like complaints + felony charge should lead to some sort of search)

His family was well aware that he had rage issues and had told him on several occasions to seek psychiatric assistance. Kinda seems like they should've committed him at some point, at least to get a diagnosis. :shake:

At least one of the pistols in his possession was in his wife's name. The general rules are that a prohibited person (such as the eventual shooter) can live in a home with firearms such that they do not have access to either the firearm or the ammunition. It is a violation of parole to even have ammunition in a vehicle, let alone a residence that the prohibited person has access to.

The neighbors complained on many occasions of shooting at the residence and apparently the local police pulled him over a couple of times to try to catch him with firearms. I don't know what, if any impediments the local police had to get a search warrant, but they should have at least tried for it. I can't imagine that a tailored, specific warrant for firearms for an individual out on bail for assault would be a bridge too far, especially considering the neighbor complaints.

The suspect in question surrendered one firearm, but after additional neighbor complaints, I don't know how that should preclude further warrants/ searches.

PostPosted: Thu November 30, 2017 2:47 pm 
Broken Tamborine

The main thing the background checks seem to focus on is any history of domestic violence. Guessin those are the biggest offenders.

But, they have gun shows, anyone can walk up and leave with a gun...its like banning beer for minors yet selling it to them legally at another venue...

I think real change and impact could come from banning serious assault rifles...AR-15s, AKs, SKS's.....if not a total ban than at least a ban in cities with over a million people.

Nobody needs to shoot 5.56 or 7.62 nato rounds, rapidly, outside of war, which should also be illegal.

PostPosted: Sat December 02, 2017 9:49 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Noangel wrote:
The main thing the background checks seem to focus on is any history of domestic violence. Guessin those are the biggest offenders.

But, they have gun shows, anyone can walk up and leave with a gun...its like banning beer for minors yet selling it to them legally at another venue...

I think real change and impact could come from banning serious assault rifles...AR-15s, AKs, SKS's.....if not a total ban than at least a ban in cities with over a million people.

Nobody needs to shoot 5.56 or 7.62 nato rounds, rapidly, outside of war, which should also be illegal.

I nominate Noangel to write the next Federal assault weapons ban. I'm sure it'll work out great and be super effective.

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 4:52 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

What are the chances in the Senate for the concealed carry reciprocity bill that just passed the house?

I'm kind of curious as to what basis the authors claim to enforce this sort of things on the states, but I'm sure if you just squint and repeat "Commerce Clause" three times, you get there.

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 4:00 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 4:53 pm 
post-structuralist

Great :|

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 6:31 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I haven't seen any more about this, what is going on with it?

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 6:37 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Three dead: Two students and the gunman.

PostPosted: Thu December 14, 2017 7:54 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

PostPosted: Thu December 14, 2017 8:05 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

if only Dan Johnson would have had a gun, he could have prevented the whole thing.

PostPosted: Fri December 15, 2017 7:20 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

McParadigm wrote:

Is McParadigm the man to do the job that Noangel won't? What laws would have made a difference?

PostPosted: Sun December 31, 2017 3:31 pm 
Thread Killer

Multiple officers down in Denver

PostPosted: Sun December 31, 2017 3:40 pm 
The Master

dpupenya wrote:
Multiple officers down in Denver

This is happening in the suburb I live in right now. Like 5 minutes away from me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6909 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 346  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate