The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: Binaural / Riot Act / Avocado Vinyl Re-Issues?
PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 7:55 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Strat wrote:
I would like Pearl Jam to be more considerate and careful regarding these issues as well. Since i've gotten into the Vinyl and spending money on the entire setup - it would be fantastic if my favorite band in the world seemed to care as much as I do and other bands I love.

Im not a purist to the degree of only buying certain original pressings, but I should be able to count on them to deliver me a high quality vinyl product or at least provide me with an avenue where I can hear the highest quality recording.

With that being said, the new Matt Cameron vinyl sounds superb.

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 7:58 pm 
Production Police

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Nah, I hear you. It just pisses me off that one of the most successful and ROCKING bands of all time doesn't care about the details.

I would like to introduce Exhibit "A", a t-shirt sent to their fan club members, MANY OF WHOM THEN WORE THEM TO PEARL JAM CONCERTS:

Spoiler: show

I stand corrected!

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Strat wrote:
I would like Pearl Jam to be more considerate and careful regarding these issues as well. Since i've gotten into the Vinyl and spending money on the entire setup - it would be fantastic if my favorite band in the world seemed to care as much as I do and other bands I love.

Im not a purist to the degree of only buying certain original pressings, but I should be able to count on them to deliver me a high quality vinyl product or at least provide me with an avenue where I can hear the highest quality recording.

With that being said, the new Matt Cameron vinyl sounds superb.

Go figure. The last RNDM record sounded great too. Hmm, I wonder which band member is really at fault here?

Strat wrote:
I think you are inhaling your own smugness. :heartbeat:

"If they could bottle and sell it..."

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 8:01 pm 
The Master

I respect Neils approach to it. He's gone absolutely mad over it but his records always sound great. I wouldnt mind spending the money on them if the actual songs were decent.

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 8:02 pm 
Production Police

Strat wrote:
I respect Neils approach to it. He's gone absolutely mad over it but his records always sound great. I wouldnt mind spending the money on them if the actual songs were decent.

Right, and regardless of the minute changes in fidelity he's made along the way, he's always super informative about what those changes are.

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 8:04 pm 
The Master

Regarding RNDM and MC solo album...

I wonder if the approach with PJ is they want to compete on major rock radio stations and that entire format. MC and RNDM don't really need to consider that in regards tot heir approach. I mean, they certainly aren't working with someone like BOB who can convince them that is a necessary approach to the mixing and mastering of the PJ records.

Fuck that guy.

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 9:26 pm 
Future Drummer

nosajh9 wrote:
i can confirm that riot act from hdtracks is no different than the original, but there is no claim that this is the newly released version either.

Riot Act was released on HDTracks in 2015. It went mostly unnoticed, but 192/24 versions of both Binaural and Riot Act also went up on Qobuz in September 2017. I have confirmed that the Qobuz version of Riot Act is same as the HDTracks version from 2015. The question now is whether this version is the same as the new '2017 remaster' supposedly being put out in conjunction with the 2017 vinyl release (if so this would mean it's actually a 2015 remaster). Any help getting to the bottom of this would be muchly appreciatory because it's holding up the release of this:

And before anyone asks, like the No Code/Yield Deluxe editions I will be putting out a version with the original CD master as well :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 9:27 pm 
Production Police

Oh man that looks great.

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 9:28 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

tragabigzanda wrote:
-The original vinyl masters for these albums were, to the best of my knowledge, all analog (meaning analog mix and master, and an analog print). If I had to guess, I'd say that they probably switched to a digital master/print somewhere around Binaural - Riot Act, but I couldn't say for sure. And then they most likely started tracking digitally for ST (because we have seen photos of the 2" tapes from the Riot Act sessions, but I don't think I've ever seen pics of tapes from S/T).

I don't know about Ten but I doubt the original vinyl pressings were analog-sourced either, they're generally understood to be the CD mastering pressed to vinyl (ie. no extra dynamics, etc.) There'd been some conjecture they were pressed from a DAT master, which is probably true. I'm also pretty sure S/T was tracked analog as it was recorded in the same studio as Riot Act with the same producer (Adam Kasper).

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 9:36 pm 
Production Police

Birds in Hell wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
-The original vinyl masters for these albums were, to the best of my knowledge, all analog (meaning analog mix and master, and an analog print). If I had to guess, I'd say that they probably switched to a digital master/print somewhere around Binaural - Riot Act, but I couldn't say for sure. And then they most likely started tracking digitally for ST (because we have seen photos of the 2" tapes from the Riot Act sessions, but I don't think I've ever seen pics of tapes from S/T).

I don't know about Ten but I doubt the original vinyl pressings were analog-sourced either, they're generally understood to be the CD mastering pressed to vinyl (ie. no extra dynamics, etc.) There'd been some conjecture they were pressed from a DAT master, which is probably true. I'm also pretty sure S/T was tracked analog as it was recorded in the same studio as Riot Act with the same producer (Adam Kasper).

So are you suggesting that the original vinyl masters were exactly the same as the CDs, or that they were at least mastered for vinyl (less LF)? I would be shocked if they didn't at least roll off some bottom end, as that has been standard procedure for quite a while now. But I'm totally open to them having used digital/DAT masters for a tweak before vinyl.

And yeah, you could totally be right about S/T. I was just speculating based on the lack of evidence of an analog recording session, plus the fact that most analog holdouts had given up the ghost by the time S/T was being recorded.

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 9:43 pm 
The Master

I was always under the impression that Pearl Jam always pressed their vinyl from the digital masters?

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 9:45 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

tragabigzanda wrote:
So are you suggesting that the original vinyl masters were exactly the same as the CDs, or that they were at least mastered for vinyl (less LF)? I would be shocked if they didn't at least roll off some bottom end, as that has been standard procedure for quite a while now. But I'm totally open to them having used digital/DAT masters for a tweak before vinyl.

Yeah, what I mean is that I don't believe they loaded up any analog masters in the production of the original vinyl pressings either - I'm sure there was still a mastering process as such but I think it was likely to have been derived from the DAT master also used for the CD pressings with another step to ensure it translated to vinyl (as you suggest).

In other words, these guys were ahead of the curve in fetishising vinyl as an object while not making any effort to take advantage of the medium's sonic possibilities!

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 9:49 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tragabigzanda wrote:
I've spent a lot of time with the chuds of the world.

I'm so sorry

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 11:26 pm 
AnalLog

I'm pretty disappointed in this entire vinyl reissue project. They seem to have blown it.

Back to eBay/Discogs to try & replace all of the original pressings, which I sold in 2006 to finance the west coast leg of tour.

PostPosted: Thu November 16, 2017 1:33 am 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

ridleybradout wrote:
nosajh9 wrote:
i can confirm that riot act from hdtracks is no different than the original, but there is no claim that this is the newly released version either.

Riot Act was released on HDTracks in 2015. It went mostly unnoticed, but 192/24 versions of both Binaural and Riot Act also went up on Qobuz in September 2017. I have confirmed that the Qobuz version of Riot Act is same as the HDTracks version from 2015. The question now is whether this version is the same as the new '2017 remaster' supposedly being put out in conjunction with the 2017 vinyl release (if so this would mean it's actually a 2015 remaster). Any help getting to the bottom of this would be muchly appreciatory because it's holding up the release of this:

And before anyone asks, like the No Code/Yield Deluxe editions I will be putting out a version with the original CD master as well :thumbsup:

This will be fantastic. Can't wait.

PostPosted: Thu November 16, 2017 1:50 am 
Poster of the Year

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Strat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Strat wrote:
As I have an original Binaural on vinyl, I am looking forward to doing a side by side comparison with the new reissue (vinyl). This is absolutely my favorite album so....

I'd love to hear your report on this.

I can try - though I dont have the technical ear that you do!

My ears are likely no better than yours, I just have a better vocab to express what I'm hearing.

i think you just called me dumb.

yeah uncalled for, trag. way out of line

ban trag

PostPosted: Thu November 16, 2017 1:56 am 
The Master

Don't be such an asshole Trag.

PostPosted: Thu November 16, 2017 1:57 am 
A Return To Form

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Don't be such an asshole Trag.

And kill him!

PostPosted: Thu November 16, 2017 2:10 am 
Production Police

Ban Trag! No, wait...

PostPosted: Thu November 16, 2017 2:19 am 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
Ban Trag! No, wait...

You're such a follower.

PostPosted: Thu November 16, 2017 2:26 am 
AnalLog

Teeeeeekay wrote:
ridleybradout wrote:
nosajh9 wrote:

This will be fantastic. Can't wait.

Outstanding! Could someone kindly share a link to the No Code and Yield deluxe editions?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam