The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 687 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: TV: Stranger Things
PostPosted: Thu November 09, 2017 5:54 pm 
The Master

They are so fucking cool and talented.

PostPosted: Sun November 12, 2017 9:56 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

To the people who didn't like the sort of stand-alone 11 episode... you're the reason we can't have nice things.

PostPosted: Sun November 12, 2017 10:00 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
To the people who didn't like the sort of stand-alone 11 episode... you're the reason we can't have nice things.

What? is this a dig at LV?

PostPosted: Sun November 12, 2017 10:03 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Nah. It's a dig at everyone. The general public seems to really hate that episode. I thought it was one of the strongest of the series. But now I'm finding out that most people really fucking hate that episode. I just don't understand people.

PostPosted: Sun November 12, 2017 10:05 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Nah. It's a dig at everyone. The general public seems to really hate that episode. I thought it was one of the strongest of the series. But now I'm finding out that most people really fucking hate that episode. I just don't understand people.

Im confused to your statement then. "Stan alone 11 episode" .... ?

Are you talking about episode 7 of this season?

PostPosted: Sun November 12, 2017 10:07 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Im confused to your statement then. "Standing alone 11 episode" .... ?

Yes. I'm talking about Episode 7 (The Lost Sister) of Season 2. It's a sort of "stand-alone" episode (by which I mean, it doesn't directly tie into the events of the rest of the season) that focuses on 11 as a character and her time away from Hawkins.

PostPosted: Sun November 12, 2017 10:10 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Im confused to your statement then. "Standing alone 11 episode" .... ?

Yes. I'm talking about Episode 7 (The Lost Sister) of Season 2. It's a sort of "stand-alone" episode (by which I mean, it doesn't directly tie into the events of the rest of the season) that focuses on 11 as a character and her time away from Hawkins.

the 11 through me off. I would have spelled that out, myself. Lol.

Got ya!

I have mixed feelings about it. Ultimately it tied into her motivations for coming back and help saving the day but I think maybe that portion of the story would have been better served being fleshed out as a side story over the course of 2 episodes, rather than steping away from the main story line for so long as it did. it felt awkward and too obvious.

PostPosted: Sun November 12, 2017 10:23 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Obviously, I disagree. But I'm one of those people that likes but doesn't love Stranger Things. If my wife wasn't such a huge fan, I probably wouldn't have watched S2 at all, honestly.

PostPosted: Sun November 12, 2017 10:23 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
Obviously, I disagree. But I'm one of those people that likes but doesn't love Stranger Things. If my wife wasn't such a huge fan, I probably wouldn't have watched S2 at all, honestly.

You have turned into a monster.

PostPosted: Sun November 12, 2017 10:25 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I like what they're going for and I enjoyed S1 enough for what it was. But I don't think it needed a S2. But I will say that, ultimately, I thought S2 was more successful than S1. But a large part of that was 11. She's amazing. I'm looking forward to S3 WAY more than I was looking forward to S2.

PostPosted: Sun November 12, 2017 10:26 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I like what they're going for and I enjoyed S1 enough for what it was. But I don't think it needed a S2. But I will say that, ultimately, I thought S2 was more successful than S1. But a large part of that was 11. She's amazing. I'm looking forward to S3 WAY more than I was looking forward to S2.

Those actors are so fantastic though. Every one of them. And its an excellent take on a sci fi genre.

PostPosted: Sun November 12, 2017 10:31 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Those actors are so fantastic though. Every one of them. And its an excellent take on a sci fi genre.

I like the self-referential nature of the show. People will bemoan the "nostalgia" but it's never felt like an exploitation of nostalgia to me. Anyway... yes, I like the aesthetic and the tone. My biggest issues with S1 were the adults and the plotting. S2 fixed both of those things. My biggest issue with S2 was the "bigness." The CGI is lame and the story gets a little unnecessarily large. But that's a small complaint. That's why liked E7 so much. It brought it back to a character perspective and used the "bigness" in a way that aided the plot, rather than BECAME the plot.

PostPosted: Sun November 12, 2017 11:21 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I thought it was weird. Specially the placement of the episode...i was in such a ride and then Eleven goes for a ride? wtf, she was hidden and could basically go to another town. And met the x men? yeah, it sucked hard.

I love Eleven, and S2 was ok but the placement of that episode was weird man.

PostPosted: Mon November 13, 2017 4:59 am 
slower than 82% of US

people had a problem with that episode? i didnt think it was much of an episode to feel strongly about

PostPosted: Mon November 13, 2017 12:51 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I like the self-referential nature of the show. People will bemoan the "nostalgia" but it's never felt like an exploitation of nostalgia to me. Anyway... yes, I like the aesthetic and the tone. My biggest issues with S1 were the adults and the plotting. S2 fixed both of those things. My biggest issue with S2 was the "bigness." The CGI is lame and the story gets a little unnecessarily large. But that's a small complaint. That's why liked E7 so much. It brought it back to a character perspective and used the "bigness" in a way that aided the plot, rather than BECAME the plot.

I don't know man, i feel like it diminished the plot and the El character. The characters they introduced were stupid tropes we've seen everywhere. An Indian character named "Kali"? Come on. That may have been OK in the 80s, but we can do better now. Then they go with the in-your-face Orphan Black rip-off ("tribute"):

What is the plot of Orphan Black? A bunch of "lost sisters" getting revenge on evil scientists.

Aside from that, what was the point? To get El to what? Suddenly comprehend adult morality at 12 years old? To miss home? Was it all an hour long training montage? It was filler to give El more screen time and inception her as a superhero instead of allowing her to develop organically.

PostPosted: Mon November 13, 2017 5:24 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

We watched this episode the other night and I was similarly surprised when I went online to find out people hated it so much - I thought it was one of the best bits of the series so far.

PostPosted: Mon November 13, 2017 6:37 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Birds in Hell wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Strat wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

We watched this episode the other night and I was similarly surprised when I went online to find out people hated it so much - I thought it was one of the best bits of the series so far.

Never leave me, Spenno.

PostPosted: Mon November 13, 2017 6:42 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

So I went back and watched the episode again. Upon rewatching, I have less of a problem with placement, and I don't have problem with the standalone. I just think it could have been more effective. Like instead of having Eleven travel all the way to Pittsburgh or wherever they were, she find 008 in the black void area where she communicates with people. It just felt off. Not that the episode was bad, it just seemed clunky.

PostPosted: Tue November 14, 2017 2:48 am 
Rank This Poster

I liked ep 7

It's setting up s3, and they had to put 11 elsewhere to be away so she could save the day later

PostPosted: Tue November 14, 2017 8:05 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

put me in the camp of not hating the episode but just thought it felt out of place.

if thats something they might expand on in season 3 then they needed to start it somewhere but having the whole episode dedicated to it was weird for me

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 687 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 35  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment