The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2682 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 135  Next
 Post subject: Re: Adventures in Babysitting: The Catch-All Anti-SJW Thread
PostPosted: Fri November 03, 2017 8:25 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon March 06, 2023 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri November 03, 2017 10:57 am 
Looks Like a Cat

BurtReynolds wrote:
https://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2017/11/the-surprising-revolt-at-reed/544682/

The Surprising Revolt at the Most Liberal College in the Country
Activists are disrupting lectures to protest "white supremacy," but many students are taking steps to stop them.

Burt, please focus on the Rohingya.

PostPosted: Fri November 03, 2017 2:16 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

The wife and I would like to thank you for having us to your dinner party.

Last edited by The Argonaut on Tue June 18, 2019 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu November 09, 2017 6:58 am 
The Master

This was in response to a woman posting texts she got from a guy who broke up with her because she once had sex with a black man.

And this just went totally unchallenged. What in the holy fuck?

PostPosted: Thu November 09, 2017 12:50 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

LoathedVermin72 wrote:

OMG, free speech from minorities! how threatening!

PostPosted: Thu November 09, 2017 2:11 pm 
The Master

Bi_3 wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Wait, what? I just meant that no one seemed to bat an eye over this blatantly racist and regressive BS from supposed liberals.

PostPosted: Thu November 09, 2017 2:36 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
Bi_3 wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Wait, what? I just meant that no one seemed to bat an eye over this blatantly racist and regressive BS from supposed liberals.

It's basic intersectionality. Allyship has always been an illusion, since unity reinforces dominate power structures.

PostPosted: Thu November 09, 2017 2:37 pm 
The Master

For the record, Adventures in Babysitting is on netflix :)

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 7:02 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Quote:
A CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT ON EQUALITY

BY IBRAM X. KENDI

Kendi is the author of “Stamped From the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America,” which won the 2016 National Book Award for nonfiction. A professor of history and international relations at American University, he also heads its Antiracist Research and Policy Center.

Equality. That old idyllic portrait on America’s wall of democracy.

Too bad this beautiful portrait never reflected the ugly truth of American inequality — of slavery, concentrated wealth and power, mass poverty, disenfranchisement and incarceration; of sexism, racism, homophobia, elitism and Islamophobia, enduring and pervading. Divisions between groups are being powered by bigotry, ignorance and fear.

But there is a remedy: immediate equality of opportunity, which would go a long way toward eliminating disparities. No more of the liberal march to gradual equality. No more preserving permanent inequality.

The United States has been here before, when few were ready to do the right thing. In 1829, William Lloyd Garrison wrote, “no valid excuse can be given for the continuance of the evil [of slavery] a single hour.” Garrison and other abolitionists endured decades of slaveholders and gradual reformers insisting on the impracticality and impossibility of immediate emancipation.

Today, Americans hail abolitionists and know at least the basics of Abraham Lincoln’s immediate Emancipation Proclamation in 1863. It ultimately saved America’s democracy from being mortally mutilated by the secessionist whips of Confederate slaveholders. But though the Union Army stopped the deadly whips in 1865, the discriminators carried on, continuing to divide “we the people” with bigotry, continuing to devastate democracy in their backward attempts to make America great again.

The United States needed then and needs now an Anti-Bigotry Amendment that would constitutionalize a critical principle: Group inequity is evidence of discrimination. The amendment would make group inequity illegal and ban the incitement of bigotry, as the incitement of anti-Semitism is banned in Germany. Claims that inequity is evidence of a group’s dysfunction or inferiority would be outlawed. The amendment would establish equality as a human right and inequality as anti-American and anti-human.

The Anti-Bigotry Amendment would permanently establish a federal agency that investigates inequities and punishes institutional and individual discriminators. This Department of Equity would repair inequities caused by past discrimination. It would be charged with building a nation of equal opportunity where only the diverse materials of merit pave the roadway toward success. This is the only equitable path toward a healthy U.S. democracy.

Holy fuck, look this statement: "constitutionalize a critical principle: Group inequity is evidence of discrimination". Not only is that empirically false, how could you possible test for and enforce that? It's borderline insane. But, if we do set up this federal agency, I nominated Diana Moon Glampers to run it.

PostPosted: Tue November 28, 2017 11:39 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Maybe that Peterson guy was on to something...

PostPosted: Tue November 28, 2017 6:08 pm 
Poster of the Year

That looks pretty photoshopped to me. Notice the last P doesn't fold with the paper.

PostPosted: Tue November 28, 2017 10:30 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

cutuphalfdead wrote:
That looks pretty photoshopped to me. Notice the last P doesn't fold with the paper.

https://www.snopes.com/lggbdtttiqqaapp-lgbt-inclusiveness-training-flyer/

It’s real, friend.

At some point we should just go back to “person”.

PostPosted: Thu December 07, 2017 2:07 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon March 06, 2023 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun December 24, 2017 7:33 am 

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon March 06, 2023 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun December 24, 2017 8:00 am 

Last edited by BurtReynolds on Mon March 06, 2023 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat January 06, 2018 11:24 am 

PostPosted: Sun January 07, 2018 10:37 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

The wife and I would like to thank you for having us to your dinner party.

Last edited by The Argonaut on Tue June 18, 2019 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon January 08, 2018 7:46 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

BurtReynolds wrote:
TFW the monster you spent years creating devours you

Has the Armenian genocide always been a progressive cause, or did it just become acceptable once this guy came around?

PostPosted: Tue January 09, 2018 1:15 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14680777.2017.1358200

Quote:
Abstract

This article explores the way vegan and vegetarian diets have been articulated within neo-liberal post-feminist culture. While these diets have an important role for vegetarian eco-feminists, as signs of resistance against the patriarchal and capitalist exploitative system, in post-feminism they have become sexy and business oriented. This shift is analyzed through the case study of Beyoncé’s involvement with the commercial enterprise “22 days,” a dietary regime that involves the elimination of any animal product for 22 days. Our argument is that while eco-feminists have embraced vegetarian and vegan regimes as ethical and political choices, post-feminism depoliticizes and deradicalizes them. In this way, they become part of an individualistic project that emphasizes empowerment and meritocracy; choice, agency, and responsibilization; and the focus on a healthy, sexy body. Ultimately, the post-feminist articulation of vegan diets promotes a form of “commodity veg*ism,” that is not only devoid of any critical force, but also reproduces existing patterns of discrimination and inequality. We use the term veg*ism to indicate the fluid uptake of vegan and vegetarian diets, whereby the avoidance of animal products relies more on an individual than on ethical and/or political choice.

Beyonce's public advocacy of eating vegetables is empowering women to make responsible, healthy choices. Exactly what the Patriarchy wants them to do!

Edit: I get that vegetables are expensive and not readily available in all areas, and the implication "eat veg or your are not sexy like Bey" might make people who cannot afford them feel resentful, but that 'outrage' is ridiculous compared to the long term health benefit for lower income people if they were to shift demand to greener, healthier calorie/food sources and that it's a commercial enterprise seeking to capitalize on that should in no way diminish the valuable effect it could have. It's like saying "people who don't think like me are not allowed to eat healthy."

PostPosted: Thu January 18, 2018 7:45 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

Incredible.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2682 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 135  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » News & Debate