The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11581 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199 ... 580  Next
 Post subject: Re: Post Random Music-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Fri November 03, 2017 5:50 pm 
The Master

Birds in Hell wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
tODAY I LISTENED TO bRAIN dRAIN BY THE rAMONES AND IT IS DEFINITELY ONE OF THEIR LESSER ALBUMS BUT I HAD FORGOTTEN HOW MADDENINGLY HOOKY AND DIRTY AND FUNNY IT IS, AND HOW FUCKING LOUD THOSE DRUMS ARE HOLY FUCK I love this band

I love Zero Zero UFO.

Great song.

Also, would be it crazy of me to state pet semetery is one of my favorite ramones songs?

PostPosted: Fri November 03, 2017 6:15 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Self wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Self wrote:
Hmm...I would guess that it doesn't.

Obviously, for most of us, our tastes begin to form before we start getting into all that stuff. But I just wonder, if I smoked weed, would I get home and reach for ... I don't know... Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin more often than Tom Waits? In one of the Zep tournament threads someone mentioned how great a specific album is to get high to. I wonder if they didn't get high, if they'd still like that record as much? Does the weed affect the mood or mindset enough to affect musical taste in those instances?

Maybe pot would steer you to Snoop Dogg, Cypress Hill, etc...? I think I'd reach for whatever I was in the mood for wether I got high, or not. I tend to be more involved in listening when I am high, for sure. Definitely get more into it and I tend to pick up on things I've missed in the past. If you're the type who likes to veg out after smoking, then maybe Pink Floyd et al would be your go to? I'd just as soon listen to some three chord punk as I would psychedelic mood-scape.

I tend to find that when I drink, I get way more emotionally invested in my art. I think what I'm drinking (and how much) can change what I chose to reach for.

PostPosted: Fri November 03, 2017 6:32 pm 
Polluted

durdencommatyler wrote:
Self wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Self wrote:

Obviously, for most of us, our tastes begin to form before we start getting into all that stuff. But I just wonder, if I smoked weed, would I get home and reach for ... I don't know... Pink Floyd or Led Zeppelin more often than Tom Waits? In one of the Zep tournament threads someone mentioned how great a specific album is to get high to. I wonder if they didn't get high, if they'd still like that record as much? Does the weed affect the mood or mindset enough to affect musical taste in those instances?

Maybe pot would steer you to Snoop Dogg, Cypress Hill, etc...? I think I'd reach for whatever I was in the mood for wether I got high, or not. I tend to be more involved in listening when I am high, for sure. Definitely get more into it and I tend to pick up on things I've missed in the past. If you're the type who likes to veg out after smoking, then maybe Pink Floyd et al would be your go to? I'd just as soon listen to some three chord punk as I would psychedelic mood-scape.

I tend to find that when I drink, I get way more emotionally invested in my art. I think what I'm drinking (and how much) can change what I chose to reach for.

Interesting. I'm totally with you on getting more emotionally invested in art when drink and/or smoke. I don't think I've noticed it changing what I chose to reach for. Maybe because I'm drunk and high?

Where do you tend to go when you drink?

PostPosted: Fri November 03, 2017 6:35 pm 
The Master

Self wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Self wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Self wrote:

Interesting. I'm totally with you on getting more emotionally invested in art when drink and/or smoke. I don't think I've noticed it changing what I chose to reach for. Maybe because I'm drunk and high?

There are a few factors at play for me here. How was my day? What mood am i in and how does that impact how the alcohol affects me. Then...what do i reach for?

Some days im happy as a clam and just want to drinka nd have a good time and perhaps ill turn to some dirty Minneapolis Rock N roll to fuel that...

Other nights, depending on situation, i may need my Tom Waits, or an acoustic Neil.

PostPosted: Fri November 03, 2017 6:40 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Self wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Self wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Self wrote:

It depends on what I'm drinking and how far in I am. And sometimes on the time of year. For example, I always want to listen to Tom Waits. But if it's warmer outside and I'm having a whiskey or two, I might go with Mule Variations. But if I'm drinking gin, I'm more apt to grab Blue Valentine or Swordfishtrombones. Or if it's beer, maybe I'll do Heart of Saturday Night.

Things like that.

But beyond that, I tend to get really into country/bluegrass/blues and more southern jams when I'm drinking whiskey. And I tend to get more upbeat, poppy or electronic if I'm drinking gin. Beer tends to be old favorites. Again, that's all generalized but I feel like there's probably a real trend/pattern if I sat down and tracked it over a long period of time.

Oh, I find I'm more interested in new music, or I'm more open to exploring things if I'm slowing drinking beer. Once I get into full drunk, no stars mode, I really want stuff I know by heart and can sing or weep to.

PostPosted: Fri November 03, 2017 6:41 pm 
The Master

Whiskey and cheap beer is dirty rock n roll for me

Whiskey is late night heart of saturday night night cap sort of vibe

Gin and Tonic is summery and thus maybe something more along the lines of the Black Crowes or Black Keys

Stuff like that for me.

Though it varies. But i like how Joey has it fairly dialed in.

PostPosted: Fri November 03, 2017 9:03 pm 
Production Police

bodysnatcher wrote:
Weed absolutely opens me up to bands or albums I typically shy away from. Grateful Dead, for instance, as completely cliche that is.

And bad music is so much worse when you're stoned.

Weed and the whole downtempo/northern soul/trip hop movement (UNKLE, DJ Shadow, Tricky, etc) were basically one and the same for me in my early 20s.

PostPosted: Fri November 03, 2017 11:58 pm 
Polluted

durdencommatyler wrote:
It depends on what I'm drinking and how far in I am. And sometimes on the time of year. For example, I always want to listen to Tom Waits. But if it's warmer outside and I'm having a whiskey or two, I might go with Mule Variations. But if I'm drinking gin, I'm more apt to grab Blue Valentine or Swordfishtrombones. Or if it's beer, maybe I'll do Heart of Saturday Night.

Things like that.

But beyond that, I tend to get really into country/bluegrass/blues and more southern jams when I'm drinking whiskey. And I tend to get more upbeat, poppy or electronic if I'm drinking gin. Beer tends to be old favorites. Again, that's all generalized but I feel like there's probably a real trend/pattern if I sat down and tracked it over a long period of time.

Oh, I find I'm more interested in new music, or I'm more open to exploring things if I'm slowing drinking beer. Once I get into full drunk, no stars mode, I really want stuff I know by heart and can sing or weep to.

This is oddly specific.

PostPosted: Sat November 04, 2017 2:05 am 
tl;dr

I don't drink or smoke. I listen primarily to jazz and music by old people.

PostPosted: Sat November 04, 2017 2:07 am 
The Master

Kevin Davis wrote:
I don't drink or smoke. I listen primarily to jazz and music by old people.

No wonder you are so miserable.

PostPosted: Sat November 04, 2017 2:23 am 
tl;dr

Bullshit, I am delightful.

PostPosted: Sat November 04, 2017 2:25 am 
The Master

That's true. I couldnt even type that with a straight face.

I just listened to Moon Shape Pool and Northern Lights Southern Cross with a Gin and Ginger. I dont know what that says about me.

PostPosted: Sat November 04, 2017 2:27 am 
tl;dr

I'm about to crack the seal on the new Dylan Bootleg Series box set myself -- while doing the dishes, drunk on domesticity.

PostPosted: Sat November 04, 2017 2:29 am 
The Master

Kevin Davis wrote:
I'm about to crack the seal on the new Dylan Bootleg Series box set myself -- while doing the dishes, drunk on domesticity.

I just did my dishes buzzed on alcohol!

It makes no difference might be the saddest of all the songs.

PostPosted: Sat November 04, 2017 3:18 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Self wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Things like that.

This is oddly specific.

:?

PostPosted: Sat November 04, 2017 2:41 pm 
Polluted

durdencommatyler wrote:
Self wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Things like that.

This is oddly specific.

I wasn't trying to be a dick. It's just foreign to me. Tonight, I will drink good beer and see where it leads me.

PostPosted: Sat November 04, 2017 2:49 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Self wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Self wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Things like that.

This is oddly specific.

I wasn't trying to be a dick. It's just foreign to me. Tonight, I will drink good beer and see where it leads me.

I didn't think you were being a dick at all. I thought maybe you were making a joke that I just didn't get. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 2:46 am 
The Master

I have zero interest in alternate takes or live versions of songs.

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 3:10 am 
tl;dr

LoathedVermin72 wrote:

These sound like the words of a man who was strung along by 45 marginally different versions of "The Life of Pablo"

PostPosted: Wed November 15, 2017 3:11 am 
The Master

Kevin Davis wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

These sound like the words of a man who was strung along by 45 marginally differing versions of "The Life of Pablo"

I did not care for that, no.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11581 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199 ... 580  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands