The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 71  Next

Rate Binaural
5 Stars: A top tier album 50%  50%  [ 82 ]
4 Stars: A very good album 36%  36%  [ 59 ]
3 Stars: Average 10%  10%  [ 17 ]
2: Stars: I expect more 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
1 Star: Embarrassing 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 163
 Post subject: Re: Binaural: Official Album Thread
PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 12:33 am 
Poster of the Year

Reckoning relies heavily on binaural recording.

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 12:46 am 
Rank This Poster

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Leatherhead wrote:
Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
Leatherhead wrote:
I love the feel and atmosphere of Binaural. Can anybody recommend any other albums that have a similar feel to them?

Like, non PJ?

Yea.

REM's Reckoning

I've never gotten into much REM but have always thought that I should. I'll check this out.

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 12:48 am 
Rank This Poster

LetMeSleep wrote:
Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
Leatherhead wrote:
I love the feel and atmosphere of Binaural. Can anybody recommend any other albums that have a similar feel to them?

Like, non PJ?

I think Bob Dylan's Time Out Of Mind has a similar feel. A warm, evening feel of humidity. I know TooM was all recorded at night to specifically get that feeling and songs like NAIS and Of The Girl certainly match it.

I'll check this out, but Bob Dylan has never really rocked enough for me. While Binaural has the moody slow songs, it definitely still rocks.

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 12:53 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Warmth and humidity are words I would not use to describe Binaural at all.

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 12:56 am 
Rank This Poster

theplatypus wrote:
Warmth and humidity are words I would not use to describe Binaural at all.

Yea, not really.

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 1:03 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Birds in Hell wrote:
Parting Ways is a total snooze, one of my least favourite songs the band had released at that point. Education makes for a much better closer.

:throwup:

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 1:47 am 
The Master

Leatherhead wrote:

Have you explored Tchad Blake's discography at all? His fingerprints are all over Binaural. The leap your ear holes will have to take from Binaural to Los Lobos's Colossal Head is not too big (and sidenote: Kiko is also Blake, and is more popular, but I feel but Colossal Head is closer in musicality); and Soul Coughing's El Oso is also very similar (if you can get into the singer, which I can't, but PhatJ can).

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 2:12 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Hell yes I can. Mike Doughty is great, although admittedly his voice isn't for everyone.

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 2:47 am 
Rank This Poster

tragabigzanda wrote:
Leatherhead wrote:

Have you explored Tchad Blake's discography at all? His fingerprints are all over Binaural. The leap your ear holes will have to take from Binaural to Los Lobos's Colossal Head is not too big (and sidenote: Kiko is also Blake, and is more popular, but I feel but Colossal Head is closer in musicality); and Soul Coughing's El Oso is also very similar (if you can get into the singer, which I can't, but PhatJ can).

One song in to Colossal Head. Really liked it. Here goes #2, sounds great already. I've never listened to this band.

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 9:52 pm 
The Master

Leatherhead wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Leatherhead wrote:

One song in to Colossal Head. Really liked it. Here goes #2, sounds great already. I've never listened to this band.

Yeah, that first song on Colossal Head is great.

PostPosted: Sat October 14, 2017 1:45 am 
Rank This Poster

tragabigzanda wrote:
Leatherhead wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Leatherhead wrote:

Yeah, that first song on Colossal Head is great.

Stopped after song #3 though, nothing but Spanish is kinda hard for me to get into.

PostPosted: Sat October 21, 2017 4:48 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I wish they had done more of it. Binaural always sounded amazing to me.

PostPosted: Fri October 27, 2017 8:54 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

I just wanted to say this album is really connecting with me at this very moment. There are themes on here I don't think I've gotten until recently. The whole idea of the world spinning out of your control and how man connects to the cosmos is hitting on something. I actually rate this album on the lower end of the PJ catalogue, and probably always will, but the fact that even an album that I think is sort of a missed opportunity is this strong says something about the band.

This album can best be described as "difficult". Both in the good sense of the word and the bad sense. The themes themselves of the songs - events around you being out of control, connecting to the ether out there or just feeling completely disconnected, are just really difficult subjects. They set a really high bar for themselves on this record. It is serious in every sense of word. Lyrics alluding to all of this - "Out of my hands", "we were miles apart", "lost her invitation to the party on Earth", "set up the 10 pins, a human tide rolls in like a ball that's spinning", etc.

Nothing As It Seems is spooky and mysterious and just feels unsettled, and Rival and Sleight of Hand both cover unsettling topics from difficult points of views. And Parting Ways ending it all. 2016-2017 is certainly a time where alot of people feel left to their devices in an environment that is out of control, and this record connects me to this time more than the others.

Even the problems I have with this record - the mix being difficult to penetrate, lack of hooks, the subject matter sometimes being hard to grasp and connect to - all contribute to the feeling of just feeling out of sorts and out of place. I think the band was really hitting on something here. They didn't capture it with complete success, but man they were really going for a very specific and unique feeling, and doing it from songwriting perspectives they've never really tried before or since. It's no OK Computer, but there's a feeling in there and artistic intent that is really worth some analysis.

So, I'm really glad this record exists, if only as a piece of art that is like a picture you find in the bottom of a crate that you thought never existed, but captured a moment that you really should pay attention to in the year 2017 with all of the shit going on.

PostPosted: Sat October 28, 2017 12:21 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat October 28, 2017 1:46 am 
The Master

Well said.

PostPosted: Sat October 28, 2017 6:12 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

This record has changed & improved so much for me over the years. It used to be my least favorite Pearl Jam record. Anymore, I'd rank it around or above No Code (like top 5).

The people who connected with this thing and defended it from day one are geniuses with impeccable taste that the rest of us should humbly bow to and shine the shoes of.

PostPosted: Sat October 28, 2017 8:20 pm 
Poster of the Year

durdencommatyler wrote:
The people who connected with this thing and defended it from day one are geniuses with impeccable taste that the rest of us should humbly bow to and shine the shoes of.

Yet you still won't budge on Habit.

PostPosted: Sat October 28, 2017 8:46 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

cutuphalfdead wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

God, that song is the worst. It's probably the single song that keeps Binaural ahead of No Code. I'm serious.

PostPosted: Sat October 28, 2017 9:02 pm 
Poster of the Year

durdencommatyler wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

God, that song is the worst. It's probably the single song that keeps Binaural ahead of No Code. I'm serious.

No that's I'm Open.

PostPosted: Sat October 28, 2017 9:19 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

cutuphalfdead wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

No that's I'm Open.

I'm Open is also up there, yeah. It definitely hurts the record. But I figure I'm Open and Soon Forget are about equal. There's nothing on Binaural as bad a Habit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1409 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 71  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam