The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 62  Next
 Post subject: Re: Let's Play Two: Live from Wrigley Field
PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 4:09 am 
The Master

Even Blow

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 4:14 am 
The Master

God you are fucking awful

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 4:20 am 
AnalLog

They should've broke up after Pinkpop 92" cause who needed the 98 2000 2003 and 2006 tours who need benaroyal who needed Hail Hail, Brain of J. I am sure Dave A could have really added some bad ass crashes to In the Moonlight. They could have at least got Rikki Rocket instead of that jackalope Ironing board drummer that gave a us weird red dot song and held the band together post Vitolovyvyvyggy .They suck that is why they sold 90,000 tickets to folks that had the time of their lives seeing a band that hasn't been relevant for 17 years

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 4:39 am 
The Master

Grievance

BANG BANG BANG

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 4:50 am 
Future Drummer

Did you guys even watch the even flow video?

Its like a religious experience.

This band used to not just be good. They used to be one of the best live bands EVER.

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 5:00 am 
Future Drummer

My friend is literally FB messaging me right now to tell me how amazing they sound in that Even Flow video and how much better the drummer is than the drummer they had in the documentary.

He doesn't know anybody's name besides Eddie Vedder. He is very much a casual listener. And even he can tell. Maybe its the casual listeners who can tell even more.

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 5:07 am 
AnalLog

They were once one of the best live bands ever yes.
Think of it this way close your eyes and remember Michael Jordan circa 96 now think of him with the Wizards. Is he still one the best ever of course he is. Pj is a group make up of some very rich 50 ish liberal elites who have nothing to prove they have become their idols they love to play with each other and us they include us a bunch balding over weight white dudes with suvs Ed says it is a communal I was a bell child in the pit in 1991 now I move my head maybe sway a little and spill my beer.

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 5:11 am 
Poster of the Year

yes close your eyes...

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 11:38 am 
Looks Like a Cat

mikejasond wrote:
Did you guys even watch the even flow video?

Its like a religious experience.

This band used to not just be good. They used to be one of the best live bands EVER.

I did. I couldn't even see the fucking drummer, much less be able to tell the blurry shape wasn't early 90's Cameron.

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 1:15 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

mikejasond wrote:
It was good just that old Even Flow footage was so amazing it always makes me sad how much Eddie fell and Dave A being replaced by Matt C. In 10 seconds you hear Dave and Eddie and it was incredible

Matt C. didn't replace Dave A.

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 1:23 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

Is hating pearl jam on rm cool again?

I can't keep up.

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 1:54 pm 
The Master

It's really amazing that such a talented drummer never found steady work with another big band again...

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 2:01 pm 
Future Drummer

Are you guys sarcastic? Do you not hear how good this band sounds?

Like seriously. THAT IS FRICKIN MUSIC. They are just so good. So passionate. So intense. So unique. They would spit in the face of modern PJ. I mean PJ now puts on great shows but its easy to forget that they used to legit blow other bands away. You hear them now and think they're good but they're not better than other bands. At the HOF they were definitely outshined by how good Yes was.

But this band in that even flow vid. They could go on stage and be as good as any other band, and be better than most. THEY ARE INCREDIBLE. Its better than the album. Its just....so amazing.

And I still think its funny that in a two hour movie my friends picked up on how good the 10 second clip of even flow was and brought it up before all else.

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 2:02 pm 
Future Drummer

Like listening to that Even Flow vid, I can't believe its a live recording and not something at a studio album. I legit don't think I've heard many other live clips of any band that are better. It actually AMAZES me. They could never do that now. Not many bands could.

Its just hard for me to believe, who never really even listened to most of their songs until 2013, that the band (that ANY BAND!) is that amazing

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 2:25 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

I think we give PJ a bad deal sometimes about how they sound now because we've had the privilege of listening to literally every show they've played since 2000 so we're so used to hearing every little mistake/inconsistency in Ed's vocals. I think for a guy in his 50s he sounds pretty damn good.

Dave A can kiss my ass, there's no way he was PJ's best drummer. All those fucking cymbals, it drives me nuts. Just because he was the drummer in the band's early intense years doesn't mean he's the best. He was a good drummer, and the pace of songs like Even Flow were better than now perhaps, but his cymbal crashing just takes over everything.

Ed has better vocal control now for the most part, although it is frustrating that he doesn't seem to accept his limitations and so sometimes goes for notes he absolutely knows he can't hit and then sounds like shit. Back then, he had the power but he didn't have the control and was too busy going nuts so often sounded too raw and unpolished for my ears. To be there live, though - I imagine it was absolutely insane and unforgettable. But, they were in their 20's. It's not fair to compare guys in their 20's to guys to how they are almost three decades later.

I saw this film in the cinema, and hearing Ed belt out Release was a goosebumps moment. He sounds unbelievable, so there's no complaints from me.

My ONLY complaint - they need to slow down Given To Fly. It sounds like Ed struggles on it these days BECAUSE it's too fast, he can't get his breath. Slow that motherfucker down, please.

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 2:54 pm 
tl;dr

I'm not really a big fan of 1991-92 live Pearl Jam. The band does play with a lot of passion but all of Ed's tortured intensity just doesn't work for me musically -- too often his voice succumbs to tics that are equally annoying to his present-day ones, and his voice seems crack or run out of breath mid-song sometimes due to the strain. They work out an ideal balance of passion and musicianship through 1993 and especially 1994, which is the pinnacle of the Dave A. era of the band, and which to me is still not as strong as the pinnacle of their years with Irons (Australia 1998) or Cameron (USA 2000).

Mike, you really should go over to the live forum and dig out the Soundboard Remasters Series thread. There are more pristine-sounding 1992 shows in that batch than any other year, and they blow that "Even Flow" clip away.

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 3:15 pm 
The Master

Lol at yes

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 3:21 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

I think i like every phase of PJ.

I had moments were i cant barely listen to those 92 shows...they sounded too desperate and the setlist were too ten oriented obviously. I prefer 1998 or 2005-2006 i guess.

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 3:28 pm 
Future Drummer

Kevin Davis wrote:
I'm not really a big fan of 1991-92 live Pearl Jam. The band does play with a lot of passion but all of Ed's tortured intensity just doesn't work for me musically -- too often his voice succumbs to tics that are equally annoying to his present-day ones, and his voice seems crack or run out of breath mid-song sometimes due to the strain. They work out an ideal balance of passion and musicianship through 1993 and especially 1994, which is the pinnacle of the Dave A. era of the band, and which to me is still not as strong as the pinnacle of their years with Irons (Australia 1998) or Cameron (USA 2000).

Mike, you really should go over to the live forum and dig out the Soundboard Remasters Series thread. There are more pristine-sounding 1992 shows in that batch than any other year, and they blow that "Even Flow" clip away.

I don't hear anything wrong with Eddie's vocals on Even Flow in that clip. I mean Ive seen some sloppy shows but that one was perfect as could be

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 3:29 pm 
The Master

VinylGuy wrote:
I think i like every phase of PJ.

I had moments were i cant barely listen to those 92 shows...they sounded too desperate and the setlist were too ten oriented obviously. I prefer 1998 or 2005-2006 i guess.

Same, I like some eras more than others, but every one has redeeming qualities.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 62  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam