The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: Binaural / Riot Act / Avocado Vinyl Re-Issues?
PostPosted: Thu October 12, 2017 6:52 pm 
Poster of the Year

Monkey_Driven wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
I don't understand people who don't have a better way to listen to music than spotify on a $25 bluetooth speaker.

We're not all millionaires chud.

I get that, and everyone prioritizes this stuff differently. But before the mp3 age, everyone seemed to have a stereo in their home. Now, most people I know will splurge on the tv that's too big for the room but literally have nothing better than an amazon essential bluetooth speaker to listen to music with.

PostPosted: Thu October 12, 2017 6:58 pm 
The Master

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
I don't understand people who don't have a better way to listen to music than spotify on a $25 bluetooth speaker.

I get that, and everyone prioritizes this stuff differently. But before the mp3 age, everyone seemed to have a stereo in their home. Now, most people I know will splurge on the tv that's too big for the room but literally have nothing better than an amazon essential bluetooth speaker to listen to music with.

nice cans

PostPosted: Thu October 12, 2017 6:59 pm 
I Have A Third Nipple

PostPosted: Thu October 12, 2017 8:05 pm 
The Master

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

Those same people with the massive TVs never calibrate them or turn off the soap opera effect either. You're right, it's all about priorities.

PostPosted: Thu October 12, 2017 10:46 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Monkey_Driven wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

Those same people with the massive TVs never calibrate them or turn off the soap opera effect either. You're right, it's all about priorities.

I will tell you I spent a few hundred bucks on some replacement speakers from crutchfields clearance sale for my home theater about 3 years ago and I was floored by the difference. It was like the audio equivalent of the first time you saw a DVD. It pains me to side with chud, but a little investment goes a long way when it comes to sound.

PostPosted: Thu October 12, 2017 10:52 pm 
The Master

Bi_3 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

I will tell you I spent a few hundred bucks on some replacement speakers from crutchfields clearance sale for my home theater about 3 years ago and I was floored by the difference. It was like the audio equivalent of the first time you saw a DVD. It pains me to side with chud, but a little investment goes a long way when it comes to sound.

Absolutely. Totally worth it. I have now spent too much money on my sound system at home. Too much yet not enough.

and a nice pair of cans

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 1:14 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

To be fair, most people who do buy what they perceive to be "great" sound systems get presence-boosting, EQ twisting gear that doesn't reveal a tenth the humanity and delicacy hidden in a good record that a great pair of monitor headphones does.

I'll take well constructed flat response phones over a sound system any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 3:17 pm 
The Master

I want mcp to come tweak my stereo equipment

PostPosted: Fri October 13, 2017 6:35 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

sounds sexy

PostPosted: Sat October 14, 2017 5:24 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

:naughty:

PostPosted: Sat October 14, 2017 5:31 pm 
The Master

more like McSexy eh?

PostPosted: Sat October 14, 2017 5:51 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

McPrickinDime

PostPosted: Sun October 15, 2017 3:17 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

durdencommatyler wrote:
McPrickinDime

Dime is 100% out of my league.

PostPosted: Mon October 16, 2017 3:30 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I did some a/b comparison and it's wild how much smoother the sound is.

PostPosted: Tue October 17, 2017 4:05 pm 
The worst

A neat little detail I never noticed in Gone - transitioning into one of the choruses (the second, i think) when eddie sings 'this time...) there is a whispered echo repeating it back underneath. Very subtle detail that was totally cool to discover.

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Wed October 18, 2017 1:01 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I just can't imagine having a collection of songs that are performed and captured this well, and being incurious or unmotivated or SOMEthing enough to both let them get mastered into sounding like garbage and also making the album art every possible argument for hesitation in buying.

PostPosted: Wed October 18, 2017 1:06 am 
The Master

McParadigm wrote:
I just can't imagine having a collection of songs that are performed and captured this well, and being incurious or unmotivated or SOMEthing enough to both let them get mastered into sounding like garbage and also making the album art every possible argument for hesitation in buying.

Not a guacamole fan are you?

PostPosted: Wed October 18, 2017 1:09 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

McParadigm wrote:

the only thing i can imagine is when S/T was released in 2006, we were right in the middle of the explosion of iPods and portable MP3 players. people were beginning to experience music differently, with tiny, shitty headphones. and no one knew wtf they were doing. MAYBE they were trying to make this sound good through small headphones?

i doubt that much thought was put into it, and it was just arbitrarily mastered how it was mastered. i dunno.

there's no excuse for the cover art though. that was just lazy. or, they were just trying to be funny. any of the inner art would have been better.

PostPosted: Wed October 18, 2017 1:11 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Monkey_Driven wrote:
McParadigm wrote:

Not a guacamole fan are you?

I just heard a song by that band from my youth. I gave up on them because they got all weird, but maybe I should check out this new one oh look at that an avocado png over an MS Paint backdrop hard pass

PostPosted: Wed October 18, 2017 1:16 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

McParadigm wrote:

So is it Adam Kasper's fault for the initial mixing, or the person uncredited for the master (Bob Ludwig?).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 40  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam