The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: Binaural / Riot Act / Avocado Vinyl Re-Issues?
PostPosted: Wed October 04, 2017 1:56 am 
The Master

Did an A/B listen of the two versions. Here's what I'm hearing:

All the new subtleties I'm picking up are in the left and right sides of the speaker, not the middle. I'm getting more of the finger work on the guitars, and more of the room and air around the drums (particularly the toms). The kick and snare drums are noticeably lower in the Spotify version, and a lot of the sub-frequencies on the kick drum are MIA.

By contrast, the original version has the kick and snare super pumped up, with lots of bottom end to the kick; and there's a lot less air around those toms, instead I'm getting more of the close mics and bottom end to the tom hits. Also Jeff's bass lines are a lot more audible in the original version. Some good parts to listen to are the intro toms on Severed Hand; and the kick and snare hits on Parachutes; and basically Jeff's bass lines anywhere on the album..

My hunch is that while prepping the new masters for the vinyl re-release, they took a crack at a new master for S/T. Finding that it didn't necessarily improve on the original, they've opted for a re-mix, which we have yet to hear...But I'll bet you $10 this is the re-master they attempted, and it wound up on Spotify for one reason or another.

PostPosted: Wed October 04, 2017 2:00 am 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:

All the new subtleties I'm picking up are in the left and right sides of the speaker, not the middle. I'm getting more of the finger work on the guitars, and more of the room and air around the drums (particularly the toms). The kick and snare drums are noticeably lower in the Spotify version, and a lot of the sub-frequencies on the kick drum are MIA.

By contrast, the original version has the kick and snare super pumped up, with lots of bottom end to the kick; and there's a lot less air around those toms, instead I'm getting more of the close mics and bottom end to the tom hits. Also Jeff's bass lines are a lot more audible in the original version. Some good parts to listen to are the intro toms on Severed Hand; and the kick and snare hits on Parachutes; and basically Jeff's bass lines anywhere on the album..

My hunch is that while prepping the new masters for the vinyl re-release, they took a crack at a new master for S/T. Finding that it didn't necessarily improve on the original, they've opted for a re-mix, which we have yet to hear...But I'll bet you $10 this is the re-master they attempted, and it wound up on Spotify for one reason or another.

You sure you can afford another $10 after being $10 out on that matt cameron album?

PostPosted: Wed October 04, 2017 2:12 am 
The Master

Strat wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

You sure you can afford another $10 after being $10 out on that matt cameron album?

The MC album was $8, and I'm pretty confident on my wager here. Predicted net revenue for Trag: $2. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed October 04, 2017 2:32 am 
Stone's Bitch

tragabigzanda wrote:

trag's ears are the best ears.

PostPosted: Fri October 06, 2017 2:26 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

Got this email from Amazon regarding my Avocado preorder:

Quote:
The vinyl record you pre-ordered will be arriving shortly. We thought you'd like to know that the record is AutoRip eligible. This means that the MP3 version of the album is now available for you to play or download from your Amazon Music Library for FREE.

Maybe if I get a chance this weekend, I'll see if the download version sounds any different than what we've already got.

PostPosted: Fri October 06, 2017 2:28 pm 
Stone's Bitch

emanon wrote:

Quote:
The vinyl record you pre-ordered will be arriving shortly. We thought you'd like to know that the record is AutoRip eligible. This means that the MP3 version of the album is now available for you to play or download from your Amazon Music Library for FREE.

Maybe if I get a chance this weekend, I'll see if the download version sounds any different than what we've already got.

Interesting. Trag, spenno and McP go pre-order the vinyl.

PostPosted: Fri October 06, 2017 3:13 pm 
The Master

evenslow wrote:
emanon wrote:

Quote:

Nah. I'm done re-buying PJ mech that I already own. I'll take a spin by ridleybradout's folder in another week or two. ;)

PostPosted: Fri October 06, 2017 3:18 pm 
Stone's Bitch

tragabigzanda wrote:
evenslow wrote:
emanon wrote:

Quote:

Nah. I'm done re-buying PJ mech that I already own. I'll take a spin by ridleybradout's folder in another week or two. ;)

Well, we should probably stop paying you for your posts then.

PostPosted: Fri October 06, 2017 3:48 pm 
The Master

evenslow wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
evenslow wrote:
emanon wrote:

Quote:

Well, we should probably stop paying you for your posts then.

I've just been signing them over to Strat to fund his yoga addiction.

PostPosted: Mon October 09, 2017 5:02 am 
Future Drummer

evenslow wrote:
emanon wrote:

Quote:

Ha, I had actually already pre-ordered the Avocado vinyl from Amazon :)

I just looked into this and my Amazon Music Library was associated with Amazon.co.uk, so it hadn't linked up with my purchase. I did sign up for a free US account to take a listen and it seemed to be the same as the original, but I'm not surprised that the new mix hasn't been switched over in their database yet (if it will at all).

Anyways, Spotify mix is here for your listening pleasure :D

Some minor edits were made:
- Restored gaps between tracks to proper length (Spotify shortens these)
- Non-destructive volume change (5db) to bring closer to that of CD album
:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon October 09, 2017 6:49 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Pete, I would like to buy your Binaural copy for $60.

PostPosted: Mon October 09, 2017 1:57 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

ridleybradout wrote:
evenslow wrote:
emanon wrote:

Quote:

Ha, I had actually already pre-ordered the Avocado vinyl from Amazon :)

I just looked into this and my Amazon Music Library was associated with Amazon.co.uk, so it hadn't linked up with my purchase. I did sign up for a free US account to take a listen and it seemed to be the same as the original, but I'm not surprised that the new mix hasn't been switched over in their database yet (if it will at all).

Anyways, Spotify mix is here for your listening pleasure :D

Some minor edits were made:
- Restored gaps between tracks to proper length (Spotify shortens these)
- Non-destructive volume change (5db) to bring closer to that of CD album
:thumbsup:

Thank you, sir.

I think I'm of the opinion that the record benefitted from the shorter gaps, but I'm very glad that this is definitely saved, now.

PostPosted: Mon October 09, 2017 3:26 pm 
The worst

thanks!

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon October 09, 2017 3:52 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

thank you :)

PostPosted: Mon October 09, 2017 9:27 pm 
Stone's Bitch

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue October 10, 2017 1:06 am 
The worst

so many details i never noticed before, or at least not clearly. Thanks again :)

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue October 10, 2017 1:23 am 
The worst

you know, not all the time, but sometimes, gone is a really good song

Running TSIS Review

He/Him/His

PostPosted: Tue October 10, 2017 1:44 am 
Future Drummer

stip wrote:

For me to poop on.

PostPosted: Tue October 10, 2017 1:45 am 
The Master

stip wrote:

I dont ever crave to listen to it on record or live. But every time ive heard it in person....ive always loved it.

PostPosted: Tue October 10, 2017 1:59 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

It is stunningly improved by the mix here.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 790 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 40  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam