The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 535, 536, 537, 538, 539, 540, 541 ... 1224  Next
 Post subject: Re: NBA Thread
PostPosted: Sat September 23, 2017 7:07 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Let the West continue to load up on superstars and better teams, as long as the competition doesn't get any stronger in the East.

If Melo plays defense in the playoffs this could be interesting.

PostPosted: Sat September 23, 2017 7:32 pm 
The Master

Coach wrote:
Let the West continue to load up on superstars and better teams, as long as the competition doesn't get any stronger in the East.

If Melo plays defense in the playoffs this could be interesting.

A big if.

PostPosted: Sat September 23, 2017 7:33 pm 
The Master

4/5 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
4/5 wrote:
Another staggering trade. The Thunder have turned trash into Paul George and Melo. Unreal.

Lowe reports that just like the Pacers the Knicks apparently didn't want to trade with the Cavs. It's sorta unbelievable that at the start of this offseason the Cavs were one major piece from being able to better challenge the Warriors, and despite an insane amount of star movement, the Cavs are almost certainly worse now than they were when they got spanked back in June.

Not that Melo is a superstar at this point, but is Sam Presti a sorcerer?

The most amazing part to me is the Thunder went from a franchise that was allergic to the luxury tax to a team that is putting all of their chips in on this season. If all these guys leave in free agency, could be some long winters in OKC.

They almost certainly can't keep all 3 of them beyond this next year, and it wouldn't be surprising if they didn't keep any of them, but credit to them for not standing idly by. Their offseason feels very Miami Heatish to me, back in the day when Miami made trades for Shaq, Zo, Hardaway, Eddie Jones, etc., giving up lots of supporting role players, but turning them into stars.

It is almost as if the Durant departure shook them awake.

PostPosted: Sat September 23, 2017 7:46 pm 
See you in another life, brother

The movement of talent from East to West has also been something to see. Last year I thought that the gap between East and West was actually overstated and that while the West was still better, it wasn't as wide a gap as it has been for the last 6 or 7 years. And then this offseason happened.

PostPosted: Sat September 23, 2017 8:15 pm 
The Master

4/5 wrote:
The movement of talent from East to West has also been something to see. Last year I thought that the gap between East and West was actually overstated and that while the West was still better, it wasn't as wide a gap as it has been for the last 6 or 7 years. And then this offseason happened.

It helps the West seems to have more solid organizations.

PostPosted: Sun September 24, 2017 12:27 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Monkey_Driven wrote:
4/5 wrote:

It helps the West seems to have more solid organizations.

Agreed.

And there's been swings in talent over the past several decades between East and West. Just like the NFL where the NFC ruled for so long before the force awakened in the AFC. Couple injuries to major stars evens things out. War of attrition in sports.

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 2:25 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Chicago Bulls are buying out D.Wade's contract. Cleveland, San Antonio, and Miami are the supposed interested teams.

Verb?

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 2:42 am 
The Master

PHATJ wrote:
Chicago Bulls are buying out D.Wade's contract. Cleveland, San Antonio, and Miami are the supposed interested teams.

Verb?

He'll go to the Rockets or Thunder.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 1:32 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i am exhausted by this NBA offseason

i can't believe the season starts in 3 weeks

it will be interesting to see what type of choreographed national anthem protests teams come up with to upstage the NFL

maybe an Afrofuturist rendition of Officer Krupke

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 3:56 pm 

How much, if any, would Wade actually help the Cavs at this point?

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 4:05 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

4/5 wrote:

If it keeps Shumpert and Jeff Green off the floor, then he's a valuable addition.

Picturing a Rose-Wade starting backcourt and I'm feeling sick.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 4:19 pm 
The Master

Wade does not match up well with the Warriors at all at this stage of his career. If the Warriors make it that far in the more stacked West.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 5:07 pm 

Monkey_Driven wrote:
Wade does not match up well with the Warriors at all at this stage of his career. If the Warriors make it that far in the more stacked West.

Don't try to act like they aren't still the prohibitive favorites to win the West.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 5:11 pm 
The Master

4/5 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

Don't try to act like they aren't still the prohibitive favorites to win the West.

Oh, they're absolutely still the favorites. The road there isn't as easy now. They've had really good injury luck the past few years. Going to catch up with them.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 5:12 pm 

Joesanity wrote:
4/5 wrote:

If it keeps Shumpert and Jeff Green off the floor, then he's a valuable addition.

This is pretty much what I think.

His game is not going to help them much at all in the playoffs. Maybe it means Shump plays less, so that's good. Maybe he provides some second unit ball handling while IT is out. Maybe he shot 1,000 3s every day this summer and he can hit 33% this season. But he's an aging player who can't shoot and can't get to the basket like he used to or play much defense at all.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 5:12 pm 

Monkey_Driven wrote:
4/5 wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:

Oh, they're absolutely still the favorites. The road there isn't as easy now. They've had really good injury luck the past few years. Going to catch up with them.

Man, I really hope so. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 5:13 pm 
The Master

4/5 wrote:
Joesanity wrote:
4/5 wrote:

This is pretty much what I think.

His game is not going to help them much at all in the playoffs. Maybe it means Shump plays less, so that's good. Maybe he provides some second unit ball handling while IT is out. Maybe he shot 1,000 3s every day this summer and he can hit 33% this season. But he's an aging player who can't shoot and can't get to the basket like he used to or play much defense at all.

I'm just picturing him giving up 20 transition baskets in the Finals right now.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 5:14 pm 

Also, there was a great article on ESPN about Pop speaking out against Trump. I know it's already been said but it can't be said enough, Pop is the best.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 5:16 pm 

Monkey_Driven wrote:
I'm just picturing him giving up 20 transition baskets in the Finals right now.

I like him too much to picture that, so I'm more so dreading that. But yeah.

I got an update that suggests he's picking the Cavs, but I was actually thinking he's going to surprise people and go to OKC.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 5:17 pm 
Rank This Poster

4/5 wrote:
Also, there was a great article on ESPN about Pop speaking out against Trump. I know it's already been said but it can't be said enough, Pop is the best.

Aren't you the guy who called him a "bully" for being mean to all those fragile sideline reporters?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 535, 536, 537, 538, 539, 540, 541 ... 1224  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports