The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Ed takes a knee
PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 1:41 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Freedom of expression, although I think entertainers/performers should not alienate people and get political, they should bring people together, but he has the right, and this is Ed Vedder so I'm not surprised, but what is the knee about now? Police brutality? Anti military? Anti Trump? Just being pissed off about any injustice?

https://sports.yahoo.com/m/05d9f03e-ce9 ... er%2c.html

Post subject: Re: Ed takes a knee
PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 1:54 pm 
Broken Tamborine

The original "Take a Knee" protest started about a year ago by an NFL player named Colin Kaepernick. According CK, he took a knee (during the national anthem) to protest, what he believes, is systematic police brutality/systematic oppression against people of color.

A handful of players during last season and the first 2 weeks this year also took a knee during the anthem.

The controversy (many in america believe the players should not be allowed to knee during the anthem) had mostly died down until the POTUS threw some wood on the fire at a rally in Alabama last friday night. He called on the owners of the teams to "fire" players taking a knee while also calling those players "sons of bitches".

Those comments sparked outrage from many athletes, team owners and coaches. This past Sunday, hundreds of players took a knee. It is unclear how many are taking a knee for the original purpose since many are taking a knee as a protest toward the POTUS' comments.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 2:08 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Quote:
although I think entertainers/performers should not alienate people and get political

I want to live.
I want to choose.

Spoiler: show
HEEEYYYYEEEYYYYEEEAAHHHHH breaths in YEAAHAHHH YEAYEAH WOW

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 2:09 pm 
Broken Tamborine

Habitman wrote:
The original "Take a Knee" protest started about a year ago by an NFL player named Colin Kaepernick. According CK, he took a knee (during the national anthem) to protest, what he believes, is systematic police brutality/systematic oppression against people of color.

A handful of players during last season and the first 2 weeks this year also took a knee during the anthem.

The controversy (many in america believe the players should not be allowed to knee during the anthem) had mostly died down until the POTUS threw some wood on the fire at a rally in Alabama last friday night. He called on the owners of the teams to "fire" players taking a knee while also calling those players "sons of bitches".

Those comments sparked outrage from many athletes, team owners and coaches. This past Sunday, hundreds of players took a knee. It is unclear how many are taking a knee for the original purpose since many are taking a knee as a protest toward the POTUS' comments.

Colin Kaepernick? The guy that looks like a muppet and wears a Fidel Castro T-shirt at a press conferences? I need a Milky Way.......

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 2:16 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

I feel like I'm trying to decipher one of Mike Huckabee's jokes.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 4:01 pm 
Poster of the Year

luny sounds dumber than KD's mom

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 4:04 pm 
A Return To Form

LuNY wrote:
Freedom of expression, although I think entertainers/performers should not alienate people and get political, they should bring people together, but he has the right, and this is Ed Vedder so I'm not surprised, but what is the knee about now? Police brutality? Anti military? Anti Trump? Just being pissed off about any injustice?

"although I think entertainers/performers should not alienate people and get political"

Why?

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 4:23 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

tyweed wrote:
LuNY wrote:

"although I think entertainers/performers should not alienate people and get political"

Why?

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 4:39 pm 
Broken Tamborine

tyweed wrote:
LuNY wrote:

Why?

"Freedom of expression, although I think entertainers/performers should not alienate people and get political, they should bring people together, but he has the right"

Because I feel artists should bring people together not polarize them. Music should bring all people together, no matter what you think, leave that shit at the door and dance, jump, sing, have fun, enjoy the sound.

Last edited by LuNY on Tue September 26, 2017 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 4:48 pm 
Broken Tamborine

cutuphalfdead wrote:
luny sounds dumber than KD's mom

Why don't people take a knee for say black on black crime at the football game? Or for football players that beat their wives? Police brutality? Sure it exists, but isn't say black on black crime 1000 times worse? People claim they hate the media but these days they see news stories and are up in arms without knowing the facts first. There was a police shooting a few months ago headline "White cop shoots unarmed black man" But a few days later the fact was that it was a Hispanic cop that shot a black armed man. People are being played by a media they once claimed to loathe. I think people should distance themselves from these trashy topical issues of the day like: killing babies "abortion", people that break the law and illegally enter a country, welfare, (long term receivers that can work but choose to milk the system for life) people not listening to police orders. Everyone is so into politics and issues, but the issues are trash, so why the fuck should I care? Be a good person, kneel, stand up, sit down I don't give a fuck what you do, just don't hurt anyone.

Last edited by LuNY on Tue September 26, 2017 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 5:16 pm 
Stone's Bitch

oh boy

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 5:42 pm 
known prankster

America has made this guy rich and he pisses all over that? Respect the flag or get the fuck out of this country.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 5:51 pm 
Broken Tamborine

lecherouslittlestump wrote:
America has made this guy rich and he pisses all over that? Respect the flag or get the fuck out of this country.

Interesting that NASCAR gave so much to Ed for the EB foundation, I would imagine most NASCAR people are conservatives, Ed's work with Tomas Young, why take a knee? Why possibly alienate people? Eh do whatever you want actually, freedom of expression. I enjoy the freedom of indifference from topical trendy issues. I like their music, plain and simple. Doesn't make me less of a fan of what a great band they are.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 6:24 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Quote:
Because I feel artists should bring people together not polarize them. Music should bring all people together, no matter what you think, leave that shit at the door and dance, jump, sing, have fun, enjoy the sound.

Interesting that you wrote "artists" here, and not entertainers.

Art absolutely does not have a singular purpose, nor an obligation to serve as any kind of unifying presence. Recognizing that musicians are artists as much as entertainers is one of the many ways you undercut your own point. Also you do it by being an idiot.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 6:37 pm 
Even Jerry Fucking Jones has taken a knee at this point, and you're surprised that the guy wrote pro choice on his arm with a sharpie and roughed up a Bush mask on stage has done it? His Cubs fan film will alienate more people than this.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 6:49 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

I love when the play the national anthem before an Ed solo show.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 7:00 pm 
Future Drummer

McParadigm wrote:
Art absolutely does not have a singular purpose, nor an obligation to serve as any kind of unifying presence. Recognizing that musicians are artists as much as entertainers is one of the many ways you undercut your own point. Also you do it by being an idiot.

Besides, I'm sure if the conservative blowhards "took a knee" to protest "teh gayz", there would be no problem here.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 7:20 pm 
Broken Tamborine

"McParadigm
X
Re: Ed takes a knee
Tue September 26, 2017 6:24 pm

Interesting that you wrote "artists" here, and not entertainers.

No need to insult me. I clearly said it was his right to kneel. If you would like my address you can come to where I live and call me an idiot to my face, so calm down keyboard warrior. People use the word "artist" when referring to musicians/entertainers. He is a recording artist. He can kneel, but my opinion is that such actions are divisive and topical.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 7:25 pm 
Stone's Bitch

McP, please change your rank to "Keyboard Warrior" asap.

PostPosted: Tue September 26, 2017 7:28 pm 
Poster of the Year

Imagine how shitty music would be if it never took on political or social issues.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam