The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1921 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 97  Next
 Post subject: Re: Crucify the Insincere: A Smashing Pumpkins Thread
PostPosted: Thu August 24, 2017 5:22 am 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I really like the Corgan song, especially all the vibrato. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Do you like Antony & The Johnstons/Anohni? It reminds me of that.

PostPosted: Thu August 24, 2017 5:32 am 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I really like the Corgan song, especially all the vibrato. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Do you like Antony & The Johnstons/Anohni? It reminds me of that.

I loved that Bird album back in the day. Haven't listened to it an ages, though.

Post subject: Re: generic smashing pumpkins thread
PostPosted: Thu August 24, 2017 9:48 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

tragabigzanda wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
The grunge tourney compelled me to throw together an SP playlist for a long drive yesterday. I think that Billy's ability to convey different characters with his voice is really something special, like Bowie-level good.

Just listen to Bullet With Butterfly Wings: Within the first several bars, he goes from the detached, emotionless "The world is a vampire..." to the hint of bitterness felt in the line "Betrayed desires..." By the time we're at the pre-chorus ("Even though I know..."), the song's character can't really contain the emotion any more; it's starting to seep out in a seething ooze. And then that chorus blasts, and it's all torture and angst.

He uses his voice so effectively across their discography. Unlike Vedder, Cornell, Cobain, Lanegan, and Staley, who all seemed to bring their real-life personality to the microphone, Corgan's songs, and his vocalizations, offer unique characters that bring his songs to life in a completely different way. Add to that the production flourishes and overall sound, and the SPs are more like NIN to me, in that each song brings me into the world of the singer, makes me occupy a different landscape and set of emotions with each track. Dude is brilliant, even if his public persona is silly and annoying.

I have to say, I feel almost totally the opposite of this. The worst thing about post-1994 (or so) Smashing Pumpkins is that I find Billy totally suffocating, it's like having an angst-ridden teenager dumping a wheelbarrow of his weird neuroses over you. I find Cornell, Staley, etc. way more listenable in contrast. I think one of the reasons I still love those first two Pumpkins records are Billy's voice and lyrics aren't pushed to the fore anywhere near as much, they're just some breathy punctuations over beatific guitar explosions. The more confidence he had in his voice, the less I can stand listening to it.

So would you say that the later SP records are laborious for you because you've acutely aware that it's BILLY CORGAN on the mic? Because after re-reading my post, I think that's the more succinct way I could have made my point: I'm acutely aware when it's Vedder/Staley/etc; but Corgan is able to create these characters who take me into the fantasy of their given song.

Yeah, I'd say that's right, and funnily enough, my experience is basically the complete inverse of yours. Even when Layne Staley, the doomed heroin addict, sings about being a doomed heroin addict, I don't find it remotely as over-bearing or intensely personal; there's always some degree of (quite welcome) detachment, as though he's singing character songs which have been heavily informed by his own personal experiences. I'm never able to detach Billy's singing from Billy, the person - and I don't even find him that annoying or unsympathetic the way frequently do.

PostPosted: Thu August 24, 2017 2:55 pm 
The Master

Birds in Hell wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Birds in Hell wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
The grunge tourney compelled me to throw together an SP playlist for a long drive yesterday. I think that Billy's ability to convey different characters with his voice is really something special, like Bowie-level good.

Just listen to Bullet With Butterfly Wings: Within the first several bars, he goes from the detached, emotionless "The world is a vampire..." to the hint of bitterness felt in the line "Betrayed desires..." By the time we're at the pre-chorus ("Even though I know..."), the song's character can't really contain the emotion any more; it's starting to seep out in a seething ooze. And then that chorus blasts, and it's all torture and angst.

He uses his voice so effectively across their discography. Unlike Vedder, Cornell, Cobain, Lanegan, and Staley, who all seemed to bring their real-life personality to the microphone, Corgan's songs, and his vocalizations, offer unique characters that bring his songs to life in a completely different way. Add to that the production flourishes and overall sound, and the SPs are more like NIN to me, in that each song brings me into the world of the singer, makes me occupy a different landscape and set of emotions with each track. Dude is brilliant, even if his public persona is silly and annoying.

I have to say, I feel almost totally the opposite of this. The worst thing about post-1994 (or so) Smashing Pumpkins is that I find Billy totally suffocating, it's like having an angst-ridden teenager dumping a wheelbarrow of his weird neuroses over you. I find Cornell, Staley, etc. way more listenable in contrast. I think one of the reasons I still love those first two Pumpkins records are Billy's voice and lyrics aren't pushed to the fore anywhere near as much, they're just some breathy punctuations over beatific guitar explosions. The more confidence he had in his voice, the less I can stand listening to it.

So would you say that the later SP records are laborious for you because you've acutely aware that it's BILLY CORGAN on the mic? Because after re-reading my post, I think that's the more succinct way I could have made my point: I'm acutely aware when it's Vedder/Staley/etc; but Corgan is able to create these characters who take me into the fantasy of their given song.

Yeah, I'd say that's right, and funnily enough, my experience is basically the complete inverse of yours. Even when Layne Staley, the doomed heroin addict, sings about being a doomed heroin addict, I don't find it remotely as over-bearing or intensely personal; there's always some degree of (quite welcome) detachment, as though he's singing character songs which have been heavily informed by his own personal experiences. I'm never able to detach Billy's singing from Billy, the person - and I don't even find him that annoying or unsympathetic the way frequently do.

:thumbsup: I can certainly relate, that's for sure.

PostPosted: Thu August 24, 2017 5:05 pm 
Future Drummer

this just came up on my random playlist, never heard it before. a nice little acoustic ditty from the pisces deluxe reissue.

PostPosted: Thu August 24, 2017 5:09 pm 
The Master

Say, I like that.

PostPosted: Thu August 24, 2017 7:28 pm 
Future Drummer

Iholdthepain wrote:
Rank your Pumpkins shows...

November 29, 2000 United Center, Chicago, IL
kinda hard not to put this one at the top. couldn't get metro tix, obviously, so this was the consolation prize. four of us tried for tickets when they went on sale, and i was the only one to score a pair. i kept that a secret, though, because my friend, who was the biggest fan of our group and really is responsible for my interest in the band, had her birthday on november 22 and i wanted to make it a surprise gift a week before the show. we were able to get another pair from a broker for a 'reasonable' price so all four of us could go. drove all the way from northern minnesota in shitty winter conditions for much of the trip. so, lots of anticipation and excitement, and the show did not disappoint. i'm not even sure it's arguable that this isn't one of the ten best shows the band ever played.

June 25, 2015 Pantages Theatre, Minneapolis, MN
this was an 'in plainsong' acoustic-electric show that featured mostly billy and jeff, with added accompainament in the latter half of the show. i feel weird rating it this high, and maybe some of it is recency, but i really did enjoy this show and environment, and it demonstrated that billy could still play inspired if/when he wants to. the last part of the main set after the adore suite got a little hokey, but everything else was a real pleasant surprise and gave me excitement about smashing pumpkins music i hadn't had in years.

August 9, 2000 Summersault 2000 Winnipeg
an outdoor festival setlist, and the show actually felt fun because it seemed the band was having fun, with teases of rammstein's 'du hast' and a wtf cover of human league's 'don't you want me'. drown closed the show, which if i had my way, would close any pumpkins show i saw. plus, i made eye contact with melissa and she smiled and nodded at me. :heartbeat:

April 12, 2000 Northrop Auditorium, Minneapolis, MN
this was my first real show as an actual fan of the band instead of just being moderately familiar with them. i remember really wanting to hear 'tear', so was happy to get that song here. glass + the ghost children was (and is) my favorite machina track, and despite seeing the song a bunch of times over the years, this was the only performance i've seen that hewed close to the album version, making it a bit more memorable.

October 2, 2007 Roy Wilkins Auditorium, St. Paul, MN
the 2007 version of the band really wasn't that bad, they were just touring on some mostly shitty music. this show was in a dump of a venue, but thankfully we had seats straight back from the stage so sound wasn't too bad. the non-zeitgeist era song selections were mostly up my alley, and was highlighted by 'home', a song i quite like and hadn't popped up yet that leg of the tour and so was a nice surprise. gossamer was on the setlist as the encore, and i wish they'd have played that instead of the three single song encores they did play.

October 23, 2007 Tower Theatre, Upper Darby, PA
this was the fourth show of a 4-show run at the tower, and to make it a little different than the others they did a 9-song acoustic set to open, which included acoutic versions of 'home' and 'blue skies bring tears' that made this night stand a bit above the other three.

October 22, 2007 Tower Theatre, Upper Darby, PA
October 21, 2007 Tower Theatre, Upper Darby, PA
October 19, 2007 Tower Theatre, Upper Darby, PA
i'm just going to bunch these together because none of them stand out ten years down the road. the positives were hearing songs like 'set the ray to jerry', 'starla', and 'rocket'. but they played a bunch of shit songs every night, including a ridiculous, bloated version of 'heavy metal machine' to close the set or encore. i'd be ok never hearing that song again. explosions in the sky opened all four of these shows, though, so that was nice.

July 17, 1998 Block E at Hennepin Avenue, Minneapolis, MN
this was a free show in front of 100,000 people in downtown minneapolis. we were packed in tight, but couldn't get any closer than just outside of the fenced perimeter of the block so seeing/hearing wasn't very good. i also hadn't really gotten into the pumpkins yet, though i did know at least a majority of the songs because the pumpkins were everywhere. i do remember being at the show and some crowd moments here and there, but the show/music itself is a total a blur. i do remember a news story came out a couple days later about a woman, who was a big fan AND a murderer, escaping prison just to go to the show and getting caught downtown. i did just find a video of the entire show on youtube, so looks like i'll finally get to see and hear it.

PostPosted: Thu August 24, 2017 11:39 pm 
Future Drummer

Thanks for posting reviews, Andy. I like reading others' experiences. Cool you got the nod from Melissa... She was a fun bass player to watch. I loved that Machina tour, especially since they got Jimmy back in the band. The Adore-era SP tour was good for what it was, but I'm glad Billy didn't continue in that direction for long.

PostPosted: Wed August 30, 2017 1:14 pm 
The worst

The Pumpkins got screwed over in the preliminary tournament. They need your support in the main bracket Best of Grunge Tournament

Running TSIS Review

I Am No Guide - Pearl Jam Song by Song - Coming this July!
He/Him/His

PostPosted: Mon September 04, 2017 3:58 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

Iholdthepain wrote:
Thanks for posting reviews, Andy. I like reading others' experiences. Cool you got the nod from Melissa... She was a fun bass player to watch. I loved that Machina tour, especially since they got Jimmy back in the band. The Adore-era SP tour was good for what it was, but I'm glad Billy didn't continue in that direction for long.

Melissa was great....but the girl from the Oceania tour was amazing. She was really cool.

PostPosted: Wed September 20, 2017 3:49 pm 
A Return To Form

Just Billy and a piano.

Daydream
Snail
Vanilla
I Fall
Smiley
Aeronaut

I really liked Snail and Vanilla - always cool to hear familiar songs reworked. Also, he's still an amazing talent.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/09/ ... use-watch/

PostPosted: Thu September 21, 2017 3:05 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

So Billy did a short film with the new album. The trailer is out there and its weird.

PostPosted: Thu September 21, 2017 3:06 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Shocking

PostPosted: Thu September 21, 2017 3:10 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

durdencommatyler wrote:
Shocking

Yeah, that was my point.

PostPosted: Thu September 21, 2017 3:32 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

VinylGuy wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Shocking

Yeah, that was my point.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon October 02, 2017 5:10 am 
"Supersonic sucks."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/featu ... ns-w504739

Quote:
Billy Corgan was midway through recording the Smashing Pumpkins' follow-up to their 2014 LP Monuments to an Elegy when he was hit with a strange sensation. "I felt like I had exhausted the idea [of the band] on my own," he says. "That doesn't mean I haven't had help, but I think my interest in working on just the name Smashing Pumpkins is not as interesting to me without original people involved. It doesn't seem to have the same resonant energy for me. I like to think that if I do any work in the future it would be with them, if possible."

The only person to play on the record outside of Corgan and a string quartet is original Smashing Pumpkins guitarist James Iha, who appears on "The Processional." It marks his first time on a song with Corgan since the 2000 Smashing Pumpkins LP Machina II/The Friends & Enemies of Modern Music. They were estranged for many years following the dissolution of the original Pumpkins that year, but in March 2016 they shocked fans when they performed a series of songs from Siamese Dream at a handful of shows on the Pumpkins' In Plainsong tour. "I sent him some [songs] and said to him, 'I feel like this is right up your alley' as far as the kind of music he likes to work on," says Corgan. "He picked out two songs, though one will likely be a B side."

Iha's appearance is likely to fuel persistent rumors that the original Pumpkins will reunite in the near future. Just a few years ago, Corgan was estranged from every member of the 1990s lineup. But drummer Jimmy Chamberlin returned to the band in 2015, and the next year Corgan smoothed things over with Iha and even reestablished a relationship with reclusive bassist D'arcy Wretzky. "I talk to D'arcy all the time," says Corgan. "We reconnected, I guess, about a year and half ago. We talk really regularly. I'm really happy to have her back in my life."

I find myself weirdly invested in a Smashing Pumpkins reunion - I really hope they manage to pull it off without splitting in acrimony (again).

PostPosted: Fri October 06, 2017 6:39 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

What is this

PostPosted: Fri October 06, 2017 6:53 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

The world is a vampire
Turning all the frogs gay

PostPosted: Fri October 06, 2017 7:12 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Holy shit, he looks like my Aunt Kay with five o'clock shadow. WTF.

PostPosted: Fri October 06, 2017 9:17 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

Ol' Bill played this solo show a few days ago, debuting a few songs off his new record and playing some well-chosen SP stuff:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1921 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 97  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands