The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123 ... 281  Next
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently reading?
PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 12:45 am 
Future Drummer

bune wrote:
William Bloke wrote:
bune wrote:
The Graveyard Book is great. And it doesn't matter if you read the book or the graphic novel, they're both great. Hell I'd recommend both anyway.

Oh yeah! I was trying to think of my other fave NG books but was posting in a hurry. I forgot about that one. I read that myself then read it to my kids later on. Such a good book and the kids still bring it up occasionally now.

My son read the graphic novel and loved it.

American Gods was my first Gaiman book and I loved it. Also if you like Good Omens, there's a BBC adaptation:
Quote:
On 5 September 2014, it was confirmed that the BBC would produce a radio adaptation of the novel, to be broadcast on BBC Radio 4, starting 22 December of that year. Mark Heap and Peter Serafinowicz led the cast, which also included Louise Brealey, Phil Davis, Mark Benton, Colin Morgan, Paterson Joseph, Josie Lawrence, Jim Norton, Adam Thomas Wright and Hollie Burgess.[19] Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett had cameo roles as a pair of traffic cops called "Neil" and "Terry".[20]

There's gonna be a miniseries! :hooray: but it's on Amazon :(
https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/15/neil-gaimans-good-omens-amazon-miniseries-has-its-stars/

PostPosted: Wed August 16, 2017 1:53 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Man the casting looks great. Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon August 28, 2017 6:14 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

My brother-in-law is a big Kingkiller fan but I haven't read the books yet. Anyone have input on whether he'd appreciate something like this?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/88 ... d-art-deck

PostPosted: Mon August 28, 2017 7:36 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I've got just over a quarter of this thing left. It's okay. Good, not great. I thought the first quarter was outstanding and I was expecting it to be one of my all time favorite SK books. Totally top tier. Then the second quarter lost a lot of steam. It's regaining it's mojo but it's still kinda spotty. I'm enjoying it well enough and it's certainly far from bad. I hope it builds toward a good ending.

PostPosted: Mon August 28, 2017 7:48 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:

I've got just over a quarter of this thing left. It's okay. Good, not great. I thought the first quarter was outstanding and I was expecting it to be one of my all time favorite SK books. Totally top tier. Then the second quarter lost a lot of steam. It's regaining it's mojo but it's still kinda spotty. I'm enjoying it well enough and it's certainly far from bad. I hope it builds toward a good ending.

I thought this was one of his better books, and found Lisey's Story to be sort of a pointless retreat of the themes. I know you loved LS. I wonder if either of us would feel differently had we read the other book first?

Also did you see that I watched The Dark Tower last night and hated it? I hated it.

PostPosted: Mon August 28, 2017 8:28 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

durdencommatyler wrote:

You think the book is bad, the miniseries was horrid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bag_of_Bones_(miniseries)

PostPosted: Mon August 28, 2017 8:33 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I thought this was one of his better books, and found Lisey's Story to be sort of a pointless retreat of the themes. I know you loved LS. I wonder if either of us would feel differently had we read the other book first?

Also did you see that I watched The Dark Tower last night and hated it? I hated it.

Probably, yes.

And, no I did not see that. And I'm not surprised. You don't like much, trag.

PostPosted: Mon August 28, 2017 8:34 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

bune wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Well, again, I do NOT think the book is bad. Not even a little bid. It's a good book. And I'm hopefully for a strong ending.

PostPosted: Mon August 28, 2017 8:34 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Probably, yes.

:? I love probably 80% of King's works.

PostPosted: Mon August 28, 2017 8:36 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Probably, yes.

I meant the movie, trag. I can't remember the last time I saw you applaud of movie. I guess you like that thing on HBO or whatever. I guess I should have said, "you don't like much that I like, trag."

PostPosted: Mon August 28, 2017 8:39 pm 
The Master

durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Probably, yes.

I meant the movie, trag. I can't remember the last time I saw you applaud of movie. I guess you like that thing on HBO or whatever. I guess I should have said, "you don't like much that I like, trag."

I loved The Amazing Spider Man! And Moonlight! I thought Atomic Blonde was silly and hokey, but I still had fun. Oh, and we watched Certain Women a couple weeks ago and I LOVED it; I'm still thinking about it.

PostPosted: Mon August 28, 2017 8:40 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Probably, yes.

I loved The Amazing Spider Man! And Moonlight! I thought Atomic Blonde was silly and hokey, but I still had fun. Oh, and we watched Certain Women a couple weeks ago and I LOVED it; I'm still thinking about it.

Amazing Spider-Man was okay. Moonlight is great. Atomic Blonde is ... well, okay. Fine. I stand corrected. My apologies. I'm sorry you hated The Dark Tower.

PostPosted: Mon August 28, 2017 8:43 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

durdencommatyler wrote:
bune wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

Well, again, I do NOT think the book is bad. Not even a little bid. It's a good book. And I'm hopefully for a strong ending.

I didn't mean bad as in not good, just bad as in it loses steam and goes off the rails.

PostPosted: Mon August 28, 2017 8:44 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

bune wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
bune wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I didn't mean bad as in not good, just bad as in it loses steam and goes off the rails.

Did you dislike the last third of the book, bune?

PostPosted: Mon August 28, 2017 8:55 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

It's been a few years since I've read it. The only reason the miniseries sticks out to me is I saw it at the library so I watched it. I do remember enjoying the book though. He does get a little explaney there in the middle with the genealogy and stuff but that's just SK - he talks a lot.

PostPosted: Sun September 10, 2017 3:23 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

Paperback Raita

90s Englishman in India drug heist novel. Read it years ago and enjoyed it a lot. Giving it the second go before I pass it on to a friend (part of my minimizing stuff).

PostPosted: Sun September 17, 2017 10:48 am 
what on earth am I talking about

Only 200 pages into The Hearts Invisible Furies by John Boyne (boy in the striped pyjamas) and I'm floored. Just so brilliant. It's like walking around Dublin in the 40s and he's captured the voices of his characters so perfectly. Can't put it down.

PostPosted: Sun September 17, 2017 12:06 pm 
Future Drummer

finished The Time Machine today, starting War of the Worlds tomorrow...

I :heartbeat: HG Wells

PostPosted: Mon September 18, 2017 4:02 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I re-read those books either early this year or late last and they really are awesome.

Finished Alas, Babylon over the weekend.
Quote:
Alas, Babylon is a 1959 novel by American writer Pat Frank (the pen name of Harry Hart Frank)[1] It was one of the first apocalyptic novels of the nuclear age and has remained popular more than half century after it was first published, consistently ranking in Amazon.com's Top 20 Science Fiction Short Stories list (which groups together short story collections and novels)[2] and has an entry in David Pringle's book Science Fiction: The 100 Best Novels. The novel deals with the effects of a nuclear war on the fictional small town of Fort Repose, Florida, which is based upon the actual city of Mount Dora, Florida.[3] The novel's title is derived from the Book of Revelation "Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! for in one hour is thy judgment come."
That's probably the scariest depiction of a nuclear attack that I've read, and I can't really even say what unnerved me about it the most.

PostPosted: Wed September 20, 2017 1:49 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

I just finished Clinton's What Happened. It's pretty boring and doesn't offer much in the way of a path forward. If you're considering it, I'd say, skip it and read Franken's Giant of the Senate instead.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123 ... 281  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Arts & Entertainment