The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

Rate Daughter`
5 stars 76%  76%  [ 22 ]
4 stars 17%  17%  [ 5 ]
3 stars 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
2 stars 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
1 star 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 29
 Post subject: Re: Song of the Moment: Daughter
PostPosted: Wed September 13, 2017 6:54 pm 
10Club Complaint Department

This is just ridiculous.

PostPosted: Wed September 13, 2017 7:48 pm 
Future Drummer

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I mean that's pretty basic song structure

And yet after the first albums, they stopped doing it completely.

It's from 1:16 to roughly 2:00

The transition from that bridge into the guitar solo is SEAMLESS. Beautiful. Transcendent.

Seriously those 5 seconds alone are more interesting than most of Binaural and Riot Act....but then it just gets better.

The transition OUT of the solo is the best part. With that ONE squealing guitar note sustained, and then the acoustic comes back in and suddenly we're stripped back and Dave A is just grooving still without missing a step but everything else has bowed out and you get this striking effect and Eddie is singing over it all. It feels so right and seamless even though you've gone to a whole new thing its so SMOOTH, it feels so natural like of course this is where we should be now. And we just sit there grooving and then the drums start crashing and Mike comes back in....and boom suddenly you're soaring again.

This is incredible stuff.

It is so good. These guys used to be masters of crafting a dynamic song.

This song takes you on a journey with many different colors.

Binaural and Riot Act is so STATIC in comparison. Its boring. The songs don't go anywhere. This song does. And its so short and yet accomplishes so much in that short time.

PostPosted: Wed September 13, 2017 7:52 pm 
Future Drummer

That 1:53 to 2:00 part is just like...one of the most amazing parts of the catalog to me. They make it sound so easy BECAUSE its so smoothly done but its actually incredible

PostPosted: Wed September 13, 2017 7:57 pm 
Future Drummer

Also if you can call the opening acoustic chord line a riff it's one of the BEST riffs they've ever made. IDK if its considered a riff. But its great whatever it is. And I dunno how simple it is considering they're in some random whacky tuning. I don't care how simple it is or isnt though - its unique. The use of rhythm on this song...the way the vocals sync up with that guitar line.

Also one of the best moments of the catalog: Dave's entrance into this song. BOOM. Like a kickstart. And then you're moving. 00:17 to 00:21 is another section that Id classify as better than the entire middle portion of their catalog.

GOD this song is so good. You guys are crazy.

Im convinced that youve all heard it so many times that you don't hear it anymore, so its disqualified from consideration. That happens with me sometimes when I forget just how good Even Flow actually is.

PostPosted: Wed September 13, 2017 7:57 pm 
The Master

Sit down

PostPosted: Wed September 13, 2017 8:00 pm 
Future Drummer

This song has so much groove and bounce to it, the rhythm of the vocals the rhythm of the guitars, the drumline...and yet...its so CONTROLLED. It sounds so perfect. Not too controlled though...just perfectly reigned in.

The things they do in here is just so interesting. This song is so alive. Its like made up of 100 little pieces that all perfectly match together, whereas most of the middle albums just seem to use way fewer tools and colors.

PostPosted: Wed September 13, 2017 8:04 pm 
The Master

So, a 3 star song?

PostPosted: Wed September 13, 2017 8:39 pm 
mikejaso nd, i think maybe what you're responding to is the drums, which have a light yet funky touch that gives the song that seamless feeling of forward momentum.

because structurally daughter is about as basic and by-the-numbers (verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-solo-outro) as it gets.

PostPosted: Wed September 13, 2017 8:51 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

shame on you for posting the video that eliminates the first 10 seconds of the song. that recording of the countdown is one of the things that is magical about this album.

PostPosted: Wed September 13, 2017 9:11 pm 
Future Drummer

guestT wrote:
mikejaso nd, i think maybe what you're responding to is the drums, which have a light yet funky touch that gives the song that seamless feeling of forward momentum.

because structurally daughter is about as basic and by-the-numbers (verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-solo-outro) as it gets.

The way it smoothly transitions between those is not basic though. There is no way the way that solo transitions into that final chorus is 'basic'

PostPosted: Wed September 13, 2017 9:14 pm 
Future Drummer

I legit think even the spice added by the timing of how and where the drums enter the song at the beginning is more interesting than most anything on Binaural or Riot Act

PostPosted: Wed September 13, 2017 9:15 pm 

Ffs Dude, just because you love the way something sounds doesn't mean it's technically difficult.

PostPosted: Wed September 13, 2017 9:18 pm 
Future Drummer

Who's talking about technically DIFFICULT? Technically difficult means nothing to me, what matters is what you hear. Its an interesting effect that makes the song sound very dynamic because of the contrast of how it sounds before and after that drum fill. Binaural (and especially riot act) rarely does anything like that.

PostPosted: Wed September 13, 2017 9:21 pm 
Future Drummer

Like they didn't have to start the song with just an acoustic guitar and vocals, and then bring in drums and other guitar melodies suddenly. That was a choice they made. And its an interesting choice. A choice that IMO is much more interesting than any choice on those middle albums.

PostPosted: Wed September 13, 2017 9:32 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

I'm kind of with mikejasond on this, in that I think Daughter is simply a more satisfying piece of music than anything on either Binaural or Riot Act (though Evacuation gets pretty close for me) and that it's deliberate choices of songwriting, performance and arrangement that make it so. There's nothing like it on later records, and I think that's largely down to the band's songwriting evolving (not always for the better) and a different drummer with a very different feel.

PostPosted: Wed September 13, 2017 9:39 pm 
The Master

I have never been disagreeing that Daughter is an incredible, deeply satisfying piece of music. Just that he assertion that it is a more complex composition than anything on Binaural or RA is not true.

PostPosted: Wed September 13, 2017 9:45 pm 
The Master

LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I have never been disagreeing that Daughter is an incredible, deeply satisfying piece of music. Just that he assertion that it is a more complex composition than anything on Binaural or RA is not true.

This guy gets it.

PostPosted: Wed September 13, 2017 9:48 pm 

Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

This guy gets it.

100%

PostPosted: Wed September 13, 2017 9:50 pm 
Future Drummer

It plays with more dynamics and sounds and sections for sure even if the notes themselves are not complex

PostPosted: Wed September 13, 2017 9:51 pm 
"Supersonic sucks."

PHATJ wrote:
Monkey_Driven wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

This guy gets it.

100%

I don't know, it seems as though you guys are deliberately misreading him. I don't think he's making any claims about the song's musical complexity, only trying to articulate why the band's earlier material is more musically satisfying than their later/middle period work, even if the latter may be more technically accomplished.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

Board index » Watched from the Window ... » Pearl Jam