The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 110  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Official MMA Thread
PostPosted: Sun August 27, 2017 4:10 am 
Mind Your Tanners

AND HERE WE GO!

PostPosted: Sun August 27, 2017 11:58 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Welp, he lasted longer than I thought he would.

PostPosted: Sun August 27, 2017 11:59 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Stickman wrote:
Welp, he lasted longer than I thought he would.

Mayweather was just playing with him in the early rounds.

PostPosted: Mon August 28, 2017 12:40 am 
Gone

Maybe he can afford fix his ear with some plastic surgery now

PostPosted: Fri September 01, 2017 11:41 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

**We are still awaiting official figures coming out of Saturday’s fight between Floyd Mayweather, Jr. and Conor McGregor. The two notable figures that will receive the most attention are the gate record and pay-per-view record. The current gate record is $72-million from the Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao fight in May 2015 and that fight also holds the pay-per-view record with 4.6-million buys.

**At the conclusion of Saturday’s Mayweather/McGregor fight, all three judges had the fight scored in favor of Floyd Mayweather, Jr. Judge Dave Moretti had the fight 87-83 for Mayweather (McGregor winning the first three rounds and awarding a 10-8 for Mayweather in Round 9), Burt Clements had it 89-82 (only scoring Round 1 for McGregor) and Guido Cavalleri it 89-81 (he only scored Round 1 for McGregor and also had a 10-8 Round 9 for Mayweather).

**Residents in Oregon have already filed a class action lawsuit against Showtime regarding issues with Saturday’s pay-per-view. Zack Bartel is leading the suit and accusing Showtime of unlawful trade practices and unjust enrichment with Showtime not equipped to handle the volume of bandwidth necessary for Saturday’s night fight.

**After being off since August 5th, the UFC is back this weekend with a card from Rotterdam in the Netherlands and will have cards every Saturday throughout the month of September. This weekend’s card features heavyweight Stefan Struve and Alexander Volkov in the main event and the return of former featherweight champion Germaine de Randamie to the bantamweight division against Marion Reneau.

**Bellator quietly had a show this past Friday night in Verona, New York and aired on Spike TV. Below are the main card results:
*A.J. McKee def. Blair Tugman by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-26, 30-26) – A convincing win by McKee, who may have a hand injury as he mentioned he heard a pop after the fight when speaking to Jimmy Smith.
*Bruna Ellen def. Veta Arteaga by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
*Fernando Gonzalez def. Brennan Ward by guillotine choke at 1:02 of Round 3 – Ward won the first two rounds and then was caught in a guillotine and tapped in the third round.
*Andrey Koreshkov def. Chidi Njokuani by TKO at 4:08 of Round 1 – Koreshkov got Njokuani down on his back and started unleashing strikes and referee John McCarthy had to step in and stop the fight. Koreshkov is one of the most underrated welterweights in the entire sport and is such a skilled fighter to watch.

**Bellator returns on Saturday September 23rd with a return to the SAP Center in San Jose with Benson Henderson fighting Patricky “Pitbull” Freire in the main event. The card also features the Bellator debut of Roy Nelson against Javy Ayala (who is a tough heavyweight match up) and will also feature Lorenz Larkin taking on Paul Daley and the return of Aaron Pico.

**The UFC has added a lightweight bout between Clay Guida and Joe Lauzon to the Fight Night card on November 11th in Norfolk, Virginia.

**A women’s flyweight fight between Paige VanZant and Jessica Eye has been added to the UFC 216 card on October 7th in Las Vegas. Eye is coming down from bantamweight to join the newly created weight class after losing her last four fights at 135 pounds. VanZant is coming up from strawweight and last fought in December, where was stopped by Michelle Waterson. The UFC 216 card will be headlined by Tony Ferguson vs. Kevin Lee with the winner becoming the interim lightweight champion.

**Ronda Rousey and Travis Browne were married this past Saturday and posted a photo from the ceremony.

PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 12:27 am 
Mind Your Tanners

**Below is Episode 1 of UFC Embedded going into this Saturday’s UFC 215 card:

PostPosted: Wed September 06, 2017 12:31 am 
Mind Your Tanners

Kinda surprised this UFC isn't getting the same push as previous ones (like UFC 214). Demetrious Johnson is on the verge of setting UFC history if he wins this match

PostPosted: Thu September 07, 2017 7:23 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Mayweather-McGregor falls way short of Mayweather-Pacquiao gate record

PostPosted: Fri September 08, 2017 3:16 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Welp
Demetrious Johnson vs Ray Borg UFC 215 fight cancelled due to viral illness

PostPosted: Tue September 12, 2017 5:47 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

**Forbes reported this past week that Lorenzo & Frank Fertitta have sold their remaining equity in the UFC and are now full divested of the ownership stake in the company. Following last year’s massive sale in July of 2017, the brothers held onto approximately 5.8% of the promotion. Forbes reports that the remaining equity sale to WME-IMG was completed last month. Nether WME-IMG or the UFC have commented on the deal. Forbes added that the latest deal leaves the UFC valued at $5 billion dollars.

**The UFC has announced that a welterweight fight between Donald Cerrone and undefeated Darren Till will headline the Fight Night card on October 21st in Gdansk, Poland. Cerrone is coming off a pair of losses, including a decision loss to Robbie Lawler this past July. Till is 15-0-1 and is coming off decision wins over Jessin Ayari and Bojan Velickovic, who he just defeated last weekend at the UFC card in Holland.

**A middleweight fight between Elias Theodorou and Dan Kelly has been announced for the UFC’s return to Sydney, Australia on November 19th. Both were members of the TUF Nations season of Ultimate Fighter in 2014, with Theodorou winning the middleweight contract on the show. Theodorou has put together a 5-2 record inside the UFC and is coming off a decision loss to Brad Tavares this past July. Since joining the UFC after TUF, Kelly has gone 6-2, including a four-fight win streak that was ended by Derek Brunson this past June with a first round knockout by Brunson.

**The UFC has announced a flyweight fight between Tim Elliott and Justin Scoggins has been added to the UFC on FOX card on December 16th in Winnipeg, Manitoba at the MTS Centre.

**The UFC held their first card in the city of Edmonton this past Saturday night at Rogers Place. The show drew an announced sellout number of 16,232 and a gate of $2,028,307.14. This was a card that had minimal interest heading in considering the proximity to the Mayweather vs. McGregor fight two-weeks ago and hardly a marquee show from the UFC (although on paper, there were a lot of close fights and interesting match ups). Below are the results from the card:
*Kajan Johnson def. Adrian Martins by KO at 0:49 of Round 3 – The first round was extremely dull as Martins boxed Johnson against the cage but threw next to nothing. Johnson won the second round but it was not a marked difference from the first round and then Johnson landed a counter right hand behind the ear and Martins was out.
*Arjan Bhullar def. Luis Henrique by unanimous decision (29-28 all) – Bhullar was making his UFC debut and has come in with a lot of attention as a potential breakout fighter for the Indian and Canadian markets. Bhullar won the first two rounds and dropped the third round.
*Alex White def. Mitch Clarke by TKO at 4:36 of Round 2 – White’s striking was far superior with his range and loading up on combinations. White dropped him towards the end of Round 2 and got the stoppage. Clarke announced his retirement after the fight.
*Rick Glenn def. Gavin Tucker by unanimous decision (30-25, 30-24, 29-27) – This was a one-sided beating by Glenn and there was lots of criticism over the leniency of official Kyle Cardinal to allow the fight to keep going as long as it did. Tucker has defended Cardinal’s officiating but Tucker suffered tons of facial injuries and when you have a score like 30-24 (that is justifiable) that is typically a sign the fight went too long.
*Sarah Moras def. Ashlee Evans-Smith by armbar at 2:51 of Round 1 – Evans-Smith got side control and Moras regained guard, worked from underneath and eventually flipped Evans-Smith over for the armbar. Moras is very flexible and was never in danger once put on her back.
*Ketlen Vieira def. Sara McMann by arm-triangle choke at 4:16 of Round 2 – McMann won the first round and then was caught and taken down in the second round with Vieira on top and set up the fight-ending arm-triangle submission. This was a major win for Vieira and joins Ronda Rousey, Miesha Tate and Amanda Nunes as the only women to beat the Olympic silver medalist. McMann is about to turn 37 years old and this snapped a three-fight win streak and it was very possible that McMann could have received a title fight with a win here.
*Jeremy Stephens def. Gilbert Melendez by unanimous decision (30-26, 30-26, 30-25) – The whole fight was controlled by Stephens administering tons of low leg kicks to the right leg of Melendez, who could hardly stand on the leg throughout the fight. Stephens looked tremendous with the leg kicks and mixing it up with his combinations to easily win all three rounds. There was a great argument to not send Melendez out for the third round, as he told his corner he was done but they convinced him to keep going.
*Ilir Latifi def. Tyson Pedro by unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28) – This will stall the momentum on Pedro, who came in undefeated and had never been out of Round 1. Pedro is only 25-years old and this will be a good learning experience for him to have under him.
*Henry Cejudo def. Wilson Reis by TKO at 0:25 of Round 2 – Cejudo’s striking has progressed significantly and it’s been evident for a while, but was on full display in this fight. Cejudo lit up Reis throughout the first round and then dropped him with a right hand to start Round 2 and got the finish with strikes. Cejudo says he wants to fight for the flyweight title again and made a hell of an argument for a rematch with Demetrious Johnson in this fight.
*Rafael dos Anjos def. Neil Magny by arm-triangle choke at 3:43 of Round 1 – RDA got Magny down with a leg kick and eventually worked to mount and then applied the submission. The welterweight division is low on contenders for Tyron Woodley and RDA has placed himself in a great spot with two wins since moving up from lightweight.
*Amanda Nunes def. Valentina Shevchenko by split decision (48-47, 47-48, 48-47) to retain the UFC bantamweight title – It was a close fight. It was even going into Round 5 and Nunes getting the pair of takedowns and taking the back of Shevchenko was the difference – not all that different from the first Johny Hendricks vs. Robbie Lawler fight at UFC 171, where it came down to Hendricks getting a takedown in the final minute and Lawler having a look on his face like he knew he just lost the fight based on the takedown. Shevchenko was very upset after the fight and complained when Joe Rogan interviewed her and could not fathom that she lost the fight. It is a tough spot for Shevchenko, who is 0-2 against Nunes and this is hardly a fight that did the business to warrant a rematch, even though Nunes doesn’t have an obvious contender next in line. The Edmonton crowd booed the fight at times and also chanted “Let’s Go Oilers”, this was hardly an awful fight and significantly better than the Tyron Woodley vs. Demian Maia fight in July.

**The Fight of the Night bonus went to Jeremy Stephens and Gilbert Melendez with the Performance bonuses handed out to Henry Cejudo and Rafael dos Anjos for $50,000 each.

**Gavin Tucker posted a statement on Monday morning following his loss to Rick Glenn. Tucker defended the discretion of referee Kyle Cardinal and gave the following update regarding the injuries he sustained in the fight:

I have four broken bones in my face. the first which started on the jaw in rd 1 and the fight went down for me from there. i have 2 fractured orbital and another vertical fracture in the jaw according to the x ray/CT scan. the heartbreak of losing hurts much worse. throughout the day i wiped alot of blood off my cheek and i can’t say for sure there weren’t some tears in there. I fought w blurred vision and 3 different Rick Glenns kicked the fuck out of me for the last two rds. (i tried to hit the one in the middle) congrats to my opponent. i hope you go far because i plan on seeing you again.
I fought my heart out. I’m a rare breed of straight savage and i don’t need social media to tell me that. however…i am appreciative of all the support i received on here. which is why I’m writing this. I have no excuses and won’t stand for anyone making them for me. that’s not how the north folk get it done.

**Amanda Nunes is planning to have nasal surgery coming out of this fight (this has been an issue that has affected her in both the Ronda Rousey fight last December and was the reason she pulled out of the fight with Valentina Shevchenko this past July on the day of UFC 213) and doesn’t expect to fight until 2018. There are a lot of moving parts within the women’s bantamweight division as your next set of contenders would be Holly Holm (who could be going up to 145 if they can make the Cyborg fight) and Raquel Pennington. It will also be interesting to see if any of the top ranked bantamweights look at moving down to the newly-created flyweight division and could be an option for Shevchenko if she doesn’t believe a rematch is possible for the title.

**The UFC continues next Saturday with a Fight Night card in Pittsburgh featuring Luke Rockhold’s return against David Branch in the middleweight main event. This will be Rockhold’s first fight since dropping the middleweight title to Michael Bisping at UFC 199 in June 2016. This card is also going up against the second biggest boxing fight of the year with Gennady Golovkin fighting Saul Canelo Alvarez on HBO.

**Justin Ledet will be fighting this Saturday on the Fight Night card from Pittsburgh and has received a new opponent. Ledet was scheduled to fight Dmitry Sonsvskiy and he has been replaced by 36-year old Azunna Anyanwu, who has a 14-4 record. Anyanwu defeated Greg? Rebello on the inaugural edition of “Dana White’s Tuesday Night Contender’s Series” with a second-round knockout.

PostPosted: Thu September 14, 2017 4:10 am 
Mind Your Tanners

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/96855320/ufc-strips-jon-jones-of-title-after-failed-doping-test

Quote:
The UFC has stripped its light heavyweight title from Jon Jones for a third time and reinstated Daniel Cormier as the champion after Jones' latest failed doping test.

Can't say I'm surprised

PostPosted: Thu September 14, 2017 3:12 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Odd it even took that long. Shame though, he has legit skill but can't seem to keep his nose clean.

PostPosted: Thu September 14, 2017 7:43 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

Stickman wrote:
Odd it even took that long. Shame though, he has legit skill but can't seem to keep his nose clean.

Yeah - Jones legit doesn't need to be taking this stuff - he's a skilled fighter. Hope one day he can get his shit together

PostPosted: Mon September 25, 2017 12:30 am 
Mind Your Tanners

*The flyweight title fight between Demetrious Johnson and Ray Borg that was scheduled for this past Edmonton PPV and pulled due to Borg’s illness has been re-scheduled for UFC 216 on October 7th in Las Vegas. The card will be headlined by Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee fighting for the interim lightweight title.

**Valentina Shevchenko appeared on “The Luke Thomas Show” on SiriusXM on Wednesday and stated that she plans to fight at the newly created women’s flyweight division in her next fight. Following her second loss to Amanda Nunes this past weekend, it makes sense that Shevchenko (who is not big for the bantamweight division) would opt to cut down and could easily get a title fight in her first fight at flyweight and would be favored over any of the women on the current season of TUF, where the first champion will be crowned in December.

**A third title fight has been added to the UFC 217 card on November 4th at Madison Square Garden. Joanna Jedrzejczyk will defend the women’s strawweight title against Rose Namajunas on the card along with Michael Bisping defending the middleweight title against Georges St-Pierre and Cody Garbrandt meeting T.J. Dillashaw for the bantamweight title. Jedrzejczyk has defended the title five times and is coming off a win over Jessica Andrade from this past May at UFC 211. Namajunas last fought Michelle Waterson and submitted her this past April.

**The UFC has announced a lightweight bout between Anthony Pettis and Dustin Poirier for the UFC Fight Night card on November 11th in Norfolk, Virginia.

**USADA has flagged Jesse Taylor for an out-of-competition drug test that was administered on August 22nd. It is not known what substance was found in Taylor’s test but as a result of the test result, he has been pulled from his scheduled bout with Belal Muhammad on November 19th in Sydney, Australia.

**Daniel Cormier released a statement last Friday regarding Jon Jones and asking fans not to attack Jones as he goes through his issues:

Life can be such a roller coaster. I think sometimes you have to just take a moment and breathe it in. You never know what’s gonna come your way. You try and handle it the best way you can. One thing that has been amazing is the support from you the fans. I have never felt so much love. It’s crazy because this all happened when I lost. Guys now I call upon you to take a breathe, lay off of Jones. Let him and his team figure out what’s going on and what happened. I was down and some may have kicked me but the majority of you showed compassion and love. After the fight Jones showed compassion, regardless of what has happened as humans we must show compassion. Jon is not on this ride alone, remember this man has a family. Let’s respect that. You don’t show ur support for me by hurting others. Again I thank you for ur unbelievable support and I trust that you guys will come thru again. DC

**The UFC returned to Pittsburgh last Saturday for a Fight Night card that flew under the radar all week long, but ended up being a great action card with eight finishes among the ten fights on the card. The big question will be how many watched this card as you had the second biggest boxing fight of the year going up against it with Gennady Golovkin fighting Saul Canelo Alvarez on pay-per-view and if there is a boxing fight that was going to lure away MMA fans, that was a fight that was going to be able to accomplish that. Overall, this was a really good show and you had a marquee star in the main event with Luke Rockhold fighting for the first time since June 2016 when he lost the middleweight title to Michael Bisping and a curiosity to see how he looked as he is a major player at 185 pounds. Below are the results:
*Gilbert Burns def. Jason Saggo by KO at 4:55 of Round 2 – Saggo was dropped with a clean overhand right at the end of the round with seconds to spare the fight was stopped.
*Uriah Hall def. Krzysztof Jotko by KO at 2:25 of Round 2 – Jotko rocked Hall in the first round with an uppercut and swarmed him with more and it was amazing that Hall recovered, but it was definitely a 10-8 round for Jotko. Hall had his second wind by the end of Round 1 and in the second, dropped Jotko with a straight right and attacked with follow up strikes for the come-from-behind win. This was really impressive and one of Hall’s best performances considering the adversity of the first round.
*Daniel Spitz def. Anthony Hamilton by TKO at 0:24 of Round 1 – Spitz caught him by the temple with a counter right hand and Hamilton went down and ate a few strikes as Dan Miragliotta stopped the fight. Hamilton seemed upset at the stoppage, but he was clearly hit and not an egregious stoppage.
*Olivier Aubin-Mercier def. Tony Martin by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28) –
*Justin Ledet def. Azunna Anyanwu by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28) – Ledet fought off Anyanu with his jab and superior boxing, nearly closing the right eye of Anyanwu by the end. Anyanwu has a lot of power and good conditioning considering he took this fight on less than a weeks’ notice.
*Kamaru Usman def. Sergio Moraes by KO at 2:48 of Round 1 – Usman drilled him with a right hook and a follow up hammer fist. After the fight, Usman challenged Rafael dos Anjos and is undefeated inside the UFC since winning TUF in 2014.
*Gregor Gillespie def. Jason Gonzalez by arm-triangle at 2:11 of Round 2 – This was one of the best fights of 2017. It wasn’t at the level of Justin Gaethje vs. Michael Johnson, but the first round was as good a round as you will see this year. Gillespie rocked Gonzalez with a right elbow in the first and they had an ungodly exchange of strikes standing with Gonzalez taking the brunt of them. Gillespie’s takedowns were the difference as he was able to mount Gonzalez in the second and get the arm-triangle from mount. Gillespie is undefeated and a guy to watch.

*Anthony Smith def. Hector Lombard by TKO at 2:33 of Round 3 – Lombard was obliterating the lead leg of Smith throughout the first two rounds. In the third, Smith hit a flying knee and later connected with a right hand, jab and another right that dropped Lombard and got the stoppage. Smith was upset that Lombard claimed to not even know his name before the fight. Smith also said he is open to fighting at light heavyweight because it’s a hard weight cut to 185 and an easier path to a title at 205.
*Mike Perry def. Alex Reyes by KO at 1:19 of Round 1 – Perry is not conventional at all and will have trouble with the elite strikers of the division, but his power is incredible and was evident in this fight. Reyes is a lightweight that only weighed in at 167.5 after taking this fight mid-week when Thiago Alves could not make it from Florida to Pittsburgh. Perry landed a knee from the Thai clinch, landed another knee that dropped Reyes and dropped a hammer fist. Perry challenged Robbie Lawler after the fight.
*Luke Rockhold def. David Branch by tapout due to strikes at 4:05 of Round 2 – Branch had a great opening round and unloaded a flurry that Rockhold ate. In the second, Rockhold was adjusting between stances and throwing kicks to the body. He got the takedown and easily mounted Branch and after landing numerous shots, Branch tapped and Rockhold got the win. Rockhold told Georges St-Pierre to pull out of the fight with Michael Bipsing and that was “his fight”.

**The Fight of the Night was obviously awarded to Gregor Gillespie and Jason Gonzalez. The Performance bonuses went to Mike Perry and Uriah Hall with everyone receiving $50,000.

**Matt Brown has announced that his upcoming fight with Diego Sanchez on November 11th in Norfolk will be the final fight of his career. Brown is 36-years old and this will be the 37th fight of his professional career. Brown was a member of Season 7 of the Ultimate Fighter and has been fighting for the UFC since 2008. Brown has fought 23 times for the promotion with a 13-10 record, including a stretch of seven consecutive wins between 2012 and 2014. Brown has lost his last three fights to Demian Maia, Jake Ellenberger and Donald Cerrone and began working with Duane Ludwig ahead of the Cerrone fight.

**The UFC returned to the Saitama Super Arena on Friday night (Saturday morning in Japan) for a Fight Night card. For the second straight week, they had a tremendous main card with lots of finishes and another fight-of-the-year candidate. Below are the results:
*Daichi Abe def. Hyun Gyu Lim by unanimous decision (29-28 all)
*Shinsho Anzai def. Luke Jumeau by unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28)
*Syuri Kondo def. Chan-Mi Jeon by split decision (30-27, 28-29, 30-27)
*Keita Nakamura def. Alex Morono by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28)
*Jussier Formiga def. Ulka Sasaki by rear-naked choke at 4:30 of Round 1 – Formiga got him to the ground and then worked to get his back and eventually got the choke locked and tapped him.
*Teruto Ishihara def. Rolando Dy by unanimous decision (28-27, 28-27, 29-27) – The final round saw Dy kick Ishihara so hard in the balls and resulted in a point deduction.
*Gokhan Saki def. Henrique da Silva by KO at 4:45 of Round 1 – This was an awesome fight with Saki’s striking at a different level, but he did tire down the stretch of the round and was getting hit against the cage repeatedly when he suddenly landed a right hand followed by a crazy left hook to put Da Silva out. It was an incredible knockout by Saki.
*Dong Hyun Kim def. Takanori Gomi by TKO at 1:30 of Round 1 – Kim was patient and circled on the outside before dropping Gomi with a right hand and finishing with hammer fists. This was another hard one to watch Gomi lose. Gomi has now lost five straight fights with all of them first round stoppages (and only one by submission) and realistically he shouldn’t be fighting any longer, especially now in the UFC lightweight division.
*Jessica Andrade def. Claudia Gadelha by unanimous decision (30-25, 30-26, 30-27) – This fight was incredible for all three rounds and another fight of the year candidate. Surprisingly all three judges gave the first round to Andrade. Gadelha was landing lots of strikes but then Andrade ended the round very strong. Round 2 was a 10-8 round for Andrade and you could say the same about Round 3. Andrade has a lot of power at 115 pounds and slammed Gadelha repeatedly and when she got on top was vicious with her top game and Gadelha was exhausted by the end. This was a great fight.
*Ovince Saint Preux def. Yushin Okami by Von Flue choke at 1:50 of Round 1 – This was nuts, Okami shot in and OSP defended the takedown, worked on top and set up the Von Flue and when he freed his leg and go to the side, all his shoulder pressure went down on Okami and he was out cold from the choke. This is the third time Saint Preux has won with the Von Flue choke, which is a very difficult choke to pull off at the elite level. Jason Von Flue should graciously hand over the naming rights to the submission.

**The Fight of the Night bonus went to Jessica Andrade and Clauda Gadelha and the Performance bonuses went to Ovince Saint Preux and Gokhan Saki for $50,000 each.

PostPosted: Sat October 07, 2017 11:53 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

**There was an altercation during a UFC 216 media lunch recently between heavyweight Fabricio Werdum and lightweight Tony Ferguson and was caught on video by the mediain attendance. The issue began as Ferguson was speaking and told Werdum to quiet down, he did not and both got up exchanging words with UFC official Chris Costello getting in between the two. It is also believed that Werdum used a homophobic slur during the exchange and has since apologized for using the word, which he claimed was a commonly used word in Spanish and didn’t mean to offend anyone with it.

**Several big fights have been announced over the past few days. Ariel Helwani at MMA Fighting was the first to report that heavyweights Alistair Overeem and Francis Ngannou will fight at UFC 218 on Saturday December 2nd in Detroit. This would almost seem like a lock to determine the next challenger for the title if Cain Velasquez is not ready to return yet. Helwani also reported that a flyweight bout between Sergio Pettis and Henry Cejudo will take place at UFC 218. The two were scheduled to fight earlier this year and Cejudo had to withdraw the week of the fight due to a hand injury.

**MMA fighter Jonno Mears has received a lot of publicity over the past week following one of the most unique submission wins in recent memory. Mears was able apply a legitimate Boston crab on Aaron Jones at the Full Contact Contender 19 card on Saturday in Manchester, England and got Jones to tap to the submission hold:

**The big card of the weekend is the UFC 216 pay-per-view from the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas and features a very intriguing lightweight main event between Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee. Lee had an extremely tough weight cut and needed two attempts to make weight earlier today. Lee originally weighed 156 pounds but wasn’t allowed the one-pound allowance due to it being a title fight. On his second try, he came in at 154.5 pounds.

Ferguson is a pretty sizeable favorite, but this is a very tough fight to predict. Ferguson had one of the best fights of his career in his last outing, going five-rounds with Rafael dos Anjos in Mexico City and earning the decision victory and has won nine straight fights. During that streak, he has had trouble with Edson Barboza early in their fight and then against Lando Vannata last year, but in both cases it was Ferguson that did win the fight. Lee is a very strong wrestler, but has never got past the third round in his career and you have to favor Ferguson the later the fight goes as he has been tested in the championship rounds. Lee is young enough that even with a loss, he could become a very big star as he has a lot of personality and made a big name for himself in 2017. The winner of this fight could get Khabib Nurmagomedov next, even though both guys would obviously angle hard for the fight with Conor McGregor to unify the titles, but that is going to be a tough fight for either one to land. Here is the full card for Saturday night’s event:

MAIN CARD (10pm Eastern on pay-per-view)
*Tony Ferguson vs. Kevin Lee for the interim lightweight title
*Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg for the UFC flyweight – Johnson is look to break the record of Anderson Silva for consecutive title defences in this one and is a massive favorite over Borg
*Fabricio Werdum vs. Derrick Lewis – Werdum is now 40-years old but Lewis has a history of going into fights hurt and announced his retirement at the conclusion of his last fight. Lewis has so much power but the striking and grappling are definitely areas that Werdum would be favored in.
*Mara Romero Borella vs. Kalindra Faria – Both women are making their UFC debuts and are replacing the flyweight fight between Paige VanZant and Jessica Eye. This is hardly a pay-per-view quality fight.
*Beneil Dariush vs. Evan Dunham

PRELIMINARY CARD (8pm Eastern on FX, TSN 2 in Canada)
*Tom Duquesnoy vs. Cody Stamann
*Bobby Green vs. Landa Vannata – this could be an excellent fight
*Pearl Gonzalez vs. Poliana Botelho
*Matt Schnell vs. Marco Beltran

FIGHT PASS CARD (6:30pm Eastern)
*Walt Harris vs. Mark Godbeer
*Magomed Bibulatov vs. John Moraga
*Thales Leites vs. Brad Tavares – this is a hell of a middleweight deep down the card

**Combat Press was the first to report that Nik Lentz was pulled from Saturday’s card due to illness and his fight with Will Brooks was off the prelims. The UFC has taken the flyweight bout between Matt Schnell and Marco Beltran from Fight Pass and placed it onto the televised prelims.

**Next weekend the UFC is off and then will be running a card every weekend until the end of the year, with the exception of Christmas weekend.

**Below are the three episodes of UFC Embedded released so far for UFC 216:

**Helwani has also reported that Dominick Cruz will return at UFC 219 on December 30th and take on Jimmie Rivera in a great bantamweight fight. Cruz has not fought since losing the title to Cody Garbrandt at UFC 207 last December and will be a full year between fights for Cruz. The undefeated strawweight Cynthia Calvillo will be fighting former 115-pound champion Carla Esparza on the UFC 219 card as well.

PostPosted: Sun October 15, 2017 6:39 am 
Mind Your Tanners

**New UFC interim lightweight champion Tony Ferguson posted a photo on Tuesday that indicates Ferguson is currently 200 pounds after making weight last Friday for his lightweight fight with Kevin Lee.

**ESPN was the first to report that featherweights Cub Swanson and Brian Ortega will meet in the main event of the UFC’s Fight Night card on Fresno, California on Saturday December 9th. ESPN also reported that bantamweights Bryan Caraway and Luke Sanders will meet on that same show.

**The UFC has inked a deal with Modelo Especial to become the official beer and malt beverage of the UFC, beginning in 2018. The deal was first reported by ABC News and would signal an end to the UFC’s relationship with Bud Light that dates back to 2008. The deal with Modelo will be specific to the U.S. market and will be a multi-year partnership.

**Gokhan Saki, who just made his UFC debut last month in Japan, will be returning to get another fight in before the end of the year. The light heavyweight is set to fight Khalil Rountree on December 30th at the UFC 219 card from Las Vegas. Saki made his UFC with an impressive knockout win over Henrique da Silva last month.

**UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping, Georges St-Pierre and UFC president Dana White were in Toronto friday for a press conference at the Hockey Hall of Fame and doing media ahead of their bout at UFC 217 next month. The venue was very small with media in attendance and about 75 fans let into the event. Had they booked a bigger venue, this would have brought out a huge amount of fans, but they opted to go with the Hockey Hall of Fame as a unique setting. There wasn’t much news to come out of it other than Bisping flat out stating he won’t be retiring after this fight, while St-Pierre maintained if he doesn’t win this fight then he won’t continue to fight. Bisping goaded St-Pierre throughout the press conference and Dana White had to get in between them during the face-off afterwards. The size disparity between the two is very noticeable in person and that’s going to be the story heading into this fight with how big St-Pierre will get for this fight without compromising his speed, which is such an important element to his style.

**The UFC has announced their main event for the next FOX card on Saturday December 9th in Winnipeg, Manitoba. The card will feature Robbie Lawler fighting Rafael dos Anjos with UFC president Dana White stating today in Toronto that the winner would receive the next welterweight title fight against Tyron Woodley. They have also announced three more intriguing fights for the Winnipeg event with Jose Aldo fighting Ricardo Lamas in a rematch from a Feb. 2013 bout that Aldo prevailed in, Mike Perry vs. Santiago Ponzinibbio in a great welterweight fight and they have announced Erick Silva fighting on Jordan Mein.

**A verbal agreement is in place for lightweights Al Iaquinta and Paul Felder to meet at UFC 218 on December 2nd in Detroit, Michigan. Iaquinta is on a five-fight win streak going back to September 2014 and returned after a two-year layoff this past April to knockout Diego Sanchez. Felder has won his last two fights with stoppage victories over Alessandro Ricci and Stevie Ray this year.

PostPosted: Sun October 29, 2017 11:44 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

**TSN in Canada has a produced a half-hour special called “The Mind of GSP” and will feature interviews with Georges St-Pierre, Michael Bisping and UFC president Dana White going into UFC 217. The special will debut next Wednesday November 1st at 8pm Eastern.

**Below is a lengthy interview that Jason Gay of the Wall Street Journal conducted with UFC president Dana White earlier this month:

**Here are the results from the UFC Fight Night card from Saturday night in Sao Paulo, Brazil in front of an announced crowd of 10,265 at the Ginasio do Ibirapuera:
*Marcelo Golm def. Christian Colombo by rear-naked choke at 2:08 of Round 1
*Deiveson Figueiredo def. Jarred Brooks by split decision (29-28, 27-30, 29-28)
*Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos def. Max Griffin by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-27, 29-28) – Really good action fight.
*Jared Gordon def. Hacran Dias by unanimous decision (29-26, 30-26, 29-27)
*Antonio Carlos Junior def. Jack Marshman by rear-naked choke at 4:30 of Round 1
*Vicente Luque def. Niko Price by D’arce choke at 4:08 of Round 2
*John Lineker def. Marlon Vera by unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 29-28) – Vera’s best round was in the third, but Lineker had the bigger power shots all fight long and you could give all three rounds to Lineker.
*Thiago Santos def. Jack Hermansson by TKO at 4:59 of Round 1 – Santos lit up Hermansson and then poured it on with a final flurry at the end of the round and official called it off with 1 second remaining and it was the right call.
*Francisco Trinaldo def. Jim Miller by unanimous decision (29-28 all) – Miller won the first and then Trinaldo won Round 2 & 3. Miller didn’t have the stamina to deal with Trinaldo’s striking and then Trinaldo got on top to ride out rounds. Trinaldo is not a lightweight that gets a lot of focus but this his 12th UFC win in a tough division.
*Pedro Munhoz def. Ron Font by mounted guillotine at 4:03 of Round 1 – Munhoz was losing the round and then tagged Font, who shot for a takedown and Munhoz rolled into a mounted guillotine and Font instantly tapped. Munhoz has a deadly guillotine.
*Colby Covington def. Demian Maia by unanimous decision (30-27, 30-26, 29-27) – I scored it 29-28 for Covington. This was the biggest win of Covington’s career and puts him at 8-1 within the UFC’s welterweight division. Maia surprisingly out struck Covington in the opening round, while Covington damaged Maia with leg kicks. Maia was very tired in Rounds 2 & 3 and Covington continually stopped his takedown attempts and landed on Maia. After the fight, Covington ran down Brazil and called it a “dump” and that the people were “filthy animals”. Covington was pelted with garbage as he was helped to the back. This got a lot of heat live in the arena.
*Derek Brunson def. Lyoto Machida by KO at 2:30 of Round 1 – It was Machida’s first fight in two-years and was working off his counters, although Brunson seems to be a significantly more patient fighter after the Robert Whittaker disaster last year. Brunson dropped Machida and then hammered him with three additional shots for the finish. Afterwards, Daniel Cormier put him on the spot to call someone out and Brunson said he’d like to fight Luke Rockhold.

PostPosted: Tue October 31, 2017 11:01 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

ICYMI ..McGregor trying to explain away his 'fucking faggot' outburst..Ignorant prick makes the WORST non apology desperate attempt to explain away the fact he is in fact a homophobic ignorant prick. He’s just sorry he got caught. Not that he said it. And it’s not the first time. Fucking shitebag.
this is the most awkward pathetic 90 seconds of anyones life youll see this week..

PostPosted: Tue October 31, 2017 11:03 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

PS he didnt campaign for marriage equality in ireland..he posted literally one tweet in support of it after the polls indicated it would pass..

PostPosted: Wed November 01, 2017 3:58 am 
Mind Your Tanners

yeah, he didn't do a ton to convince me there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2193 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48 ... 110  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Sports