The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: War on Drugs
PostPosted: Tue August 29, 2017 8:14 pm 
A Return To Form

I personally don't think it's better than lost in a dream. its production is a little better, but dream had better songs in terms of anthems or hooks. you could rock out to it more than this album, its a little subdued but it is on heavy rotation which is great sign of an album that needs continued listens.

PostPosted: Tue August 29, 2017 8:16 pm 
The Master

diesel wrote:
I personally don't think it's better than lost in a dream. its production is a little better, but dream had better songs in terms of anthems or hooks. you could rock out to it more than this album, its a little subdued but it is on heavy rotation which is great sign of an album that needs continued listens.

I have a feeling you will change your mind on it. Im getting more comfortable in the songs and finding tons of hooks and a very anthemic approach to many of the songs.

PostPosted: Tue August 29, 2017 8:53 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

I've heard three different people say that not only is this WoD's best album so far but it's also album of the year.

PostPosted: Tue August 29, 2017 8:57 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

I'm still undecided if it's as good as Lost in a Dream, but it's pretty damn great.

Now if I could only convince Mrs Rangi how great these guys are..... she really hates them.

Her bottom 3 rankings of bands I love from best to worst

R.E.M.
Radiohead
The War on Drugs

PostPosted: Tue August 29, 2017 9:19 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Rangi Guy wrote:
I'm still undecided if it's as good as Lost in a Dream, but it's pretty damn great.

Now if I could only convince Mrs Rangi how great these guys are..... she really hates them.

R.E.M.
Radiohead
The War on Drugs

my wife dislikes War On Drugs too. she says the guy's voice reminds her too much of Widespread Panic, and just ruins it for her.

PostPosted: Tue August 29, 2017 9:26 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

bodysnatcher wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:

R.E.M.
Radiohead
The War on Drugs

my wife dislikes War On Drugs too. she says the guy's voice reminds her too much of Widespread Panic, and just ruins it for her.

My wife says it's too white for her. Also finds it too depressing

PostPosted: Tue August 29, 2017 11:16 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

i'm sorry, but in chains is just so indescribably good.

PostPosted: Wed August 30, 2017 12:01 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Rangi Guy wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:

R.E.M.
Radiohead
The War on Drugs

My wife tells me to "turn off Bryan Adams" whenever I play twod.

PostPosted: Wed August 30, 2017 12:16 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Higgs wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:
bodysnatcher wrote:
Rangi Guy wrote:

R.E.M.
Radiohead
The War on Drugs

My wife tells me to "turn off Bryan Adams" whenever I play twod.

:haha:

yeah, there's a very 80s thread through his sound. but i like that. when i first started listening to TWOD, i just kept thinking, "why don't you just listen to Tom Petty?" But it finally clicked.

PostPosted: Wed August 30, 2017 4:43 am 
Posting (live)

I have listened to this album and it's not hitting me. In fact I may go as far as saying that for me, they peaked with A Needle in Your Eye #16. Lost had some moments and so does the new album except maybe the polish isn't for me. I guess I need to listen a few more times.

Celebration Rock podcast on War On Drugs was alright just not one of their best.

PostPosted: Wed August 30, 2017 5:15 am 
Production Police

I just listened to this band for the first time and I hated it. Carry on, team.

PostPosted: Wed August 30, 2017 6:28 am 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

dammit, Trag.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Wed August 30, 2017 11:34 am 
Polluted

tragabigzanda wrote:

I did the same based on the opinions of people I generally agree with, when it comes to music. Maybe I need to give them a chance? The first time through Lost In The Dream did very little for me. Felt like the safest, most milquetoast approach to a record I've heard in a while. There were a few moments here and there, but nothing that made me wanna listen again. I'll give the new one a spin, but I was surprised when I listened to this, you guys.

PostPosted: Wed August 30, 2017 12:00 pm 
Production Police

Self wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I did the same based on the opinions of people I generally agree with, when it comes to music. Maybe I need to give them a chance? The first time through Lost In The Dream did very little for me. Felt like the safest, most milquetoast approach to a record I've heard in a while. There were a few moments here and there, but nothing that made me wanna listen again. I'll give the new one a spin, but I was surprised when I listened to this, you guys.

Yeah, I found nothing to differentiate it from all the other reverb-drenched folk/pop-rock I've heard over the last several years. If you had told me this was a record by Ariel Pink, or The National, or any of the other bands I don't seem to get, I'd believe you.

PostPosted: Wed August 30, 2017 2:24 pm 
A Return To Form

Self wrote:
...The first time through Lost In The Dream did very little for me. Felt like the safest, most milquetoast approach to a record I've heard in a while...

This is actually not an uncommon reaction. Ive heard the meh reaction from some of my music snob friends too. "nothing original, just a bunch of mid-80s influences thrown into a blender with a splash of Dylan style ramblings". I generally agree with this but the instrumentation and arrangements is the strong suite of this band, and its excellent driving music.

I still don't think the new album is better than lost in a dream or even slave ambient but its good.

PostPosted: Wed August 30, 2017 2:25 pm 
A Return To Form

tragabigzanda wrote:
Self wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Yeah, I found nothing to differentiate it from all the other reverb-drenched folk/pop-rock I've heard over the last several years. If you had told me this was a record by Ariel Pink, or The National, or any of the other bands I don't seem to get, I'd believe you.

this sounds NOTHING like the national dude

PostPosted: Wed August 30, 2017 2:48 pm 
Production Police

diesel wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Self wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I agree about the singers, I just meant that the songwriting and production bores the shit out of me.

PostPosted: Wed August 30, 2017 3:51 pm 
"Pain" might be my song of the year.

PostPosted: Wed August 30, 2017 3:52 pm 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
diesel wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Self wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I agree about the singers, I just meant that the songwriting and production bores the shit out of me.

Have you actually listened ? Try headphones. The production is magnificent. So my going on. One reviewer related it to yankee hotel foxtrot

PostPosted: Wed August 30, 2017 6:17 pm 
Rank This Poster

At first these guys bored me, but now I think I really like this album

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 411 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 21  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Other Bands