The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Release

Post subject: CD to Vinyl question
PostPosted: Mon August 08, 2016 8:20 pm 
Future Drummer

I'm thinking of surprising my kid with a vinyl made of his album. To keep it a surprise I'd have to use the cd as the source. Anybody know what the downsides of this are? Would using FLAC files via bandcamp be a better option?

Post subject: Re: CD to Vinyl question
PostPosted: Mon August 08, 2016 8:33 pm 
The Master

surfndestroy wrote:
I'm thinking of surprising my kid with a vinyl made of his album. To keep it a surprise I'd have to use the cd as the source. Anybody know what the downsides of this are? Would using FLAC files via bandcamp be a better option?

Based on how you phrased the question, I'm worried you might be in over your head...

There are numerous articles out there on the record cutting process. In a nutshell, you have to get a master cut, from which the printing house can then print records. It's a lot of work for (what I assume is?) just a single copy of the record. And assuming his band recorded digitally, there is not much to be gained from this process beyond the feel-good novelty of seeing his music on vinyl.

Still, if that's your goal, I'd suggest finding out who mastered the album, and talk to them directly. They'll be able to tell you what the best resolution files are they have on hand of your son's album, and can probably point you in the direction of a small-run vinyl plant they know and trust. The music will have to be re-mastered for vinyl (because the low frequencies typical of digital music will cause distortion and skipping on a record), so the mastering engineer should be put in touch with the vinyl engineer to suss out the mastering process.

PostPosted: Mon August 08, 2016 8:38 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

Or, depending on what quality you want or if it is more for a coolness factor, there are plenty of places that will do it.

http://vinylify.com/

PostPosted: Mon August 08, 2016 8:43 pm 
Future Drummer

tragabigzanda wrote:
surfndestroy wrote:

Based on how you phrased the question, I'm worried you might be in over your head...

There are numerous articles out there on the record cutting process. In a nutshell, you have to get a master cut, from which the printing house can then print records. It's a lot of work for (what I assume is?) just a single copy of the record. And assuming his band recorded digitally, there is not much to be gained from this process beyond the feel-good novelty of seeing his music on vinyl.

Still, if that's your goal, I'd suggest finding out who mastered the album, and talk to them directly. They'll be able to tell you what the best resolution files are they have on hand of your son's album, and can probably point you in the direction of a small-run vinyl plant they know and trust. The music will have to be re-mastered for vinyl (because the low frequencies typical of digital music will cause distortion and skipping on a record), so the mastering engineer should be put in touch with the vinyl engineer to suss out the mastering process.

Thanks for the response. The feel- good novelty would be the goal. It would be a run of 100 records. He'd be able to sell most of them, make a little and pay me back for the most part. Maybe I'd be better off just getting lp size art of his album reproduced and framed. A fake record on the wall.

My kid did the mastering and I was afraid I'd hear to go back to those. My kid knows next to jack about mastering and it took him a few times to get the low acceptable for iTunes and cd, let lone vinyl. His original cd's just set sub-woofers to overload. He blamed that on not having a sub-woofer during any of his mixing and his car not having one either. I think there's limits to what a kid can do in his bedroom with next to no funds and he hit some of them.

PostPosted: Mon August 08, 2016 8:46 pm 
Future Drummer

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Or, depending on what quality you want or if it is more for a coolness factor, there are plenty of places that will do it.

http://vinylify.com/

It was a Canadian version of that kind of site that I was looking into. The smallest run they do is 100 records but just a one off for 60 euro is a nice option. Thanks.

Board index » Word on the Street » Release