Switch to full style
Post your original writing, poetry, music, photos or other artistic creations here.
Post a reply

Re: Sam The Astronaut - Girls of Summer (full album)

Thu December 13, 2018 12:31 am

Album two is finally in the final mix stage. 19 tracks with a couple interludes. They’re now searching for management and a bigger label. With the right exposure and some luck it should be pretty popular.

It always seems a little weird to see my kid on guitar. He'll always be a drummer to me.

Last edited by surfndestroy on Mon January 14, 2019 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon December 31, 2018 12:57 am

I just got the mix my kid did of the album that went off for the final mix. So 90% done. All I can say is that it is insane. An album about and of "drugs, love, using drugs in hopes of getting love, and using love in hopes of getting the drug." It is a pastiche of production styles and drum sounds that is held together by a thick bass and keys sound; a dirty, earthy sound.

I feel handcuffed about when you will hear it but I will say I don't see how the following don't become hits on one format or another; Jukebox, MDMA, Freckles & Zest; Last Video Store and Could This Be Love. Don't be surprised if there's a few more.

I am hoping there will be a completely unrelated 4 or 5 song ep released before the album. I've been told it's nearly done, which with this band means by month's end or summer's end.

I've had faith in the songs but until I heard these most recent mixes I wasn't sure it was going to be worth the wait. I was wrong. Fuck wrong.

One of my favourite takeaways is, the moments when one or the other (TJ or Garrison) is trying to add something they thought would blow the other away. Sonic, inside jokes that elevate the album everywhere they occur. They are as subtle as; can I hit this next note, yeah I went there, or a whole verse of "you can't touch this".

Mon January 14, 2019 7:14 am

surfndestroy wrote:I just got the mix my kid did of the album that went off for the final mix.

For posterity sakes.....

They're pissed and I like it, They've been ghosted by a label they thought they were building a relationship with and they are not taking it easy. I like seeing them with a chip on their shoulders. These are groove heavy tracks. Every song had a litmus test of "could it survive with just bass, drums and vocals".

Some random takes on the to be album, in no particular song order (all song titles subject to change). General takes; 'take drugs, put on headphone, get lost' or 'get your girl/boy in your arms and sway'.

Nike (possibly By The Pinball Light) - A complete dance track. It shows through in songs like these that their first love was drums and the rhythm experience. They want to see you dance. An ode to an unnamed artist.
Coke Vanilla's That Good Shit - A well hidden love song about drugs. A great earphone song. My kid produces and mixes vocals in a very unique way. A complete Dreamland (Sticky Fingers break) before the outro.
Can You Feel It - An album track that can be huge live. "Sunday morning, back in the kitchen, drinking a cup." From a nineteen year old!!! Garrison comes up with some amazing lines. My kid's lyrics tend to tell better stories.
Could This Be Love - My take for the monster track. A ballad with dancehall soaked vocals, My kid strives for songs you listen to/take while high, everything in this mix is about getting lost in the music. I've heard it live and Garrison can kill it live. "Max out the bass, make the world sing... Could this be love." You will have heard that before the end of summer.
Foxy - This would be a single if the album wasn't so top heavy. There's an MJ inspired breakdown that I didn't think worked until I saw a couple hundred people getting down to it in an igloo. Makes me laugh that this love song starts with lyrics about doing 'shrooms.
Freckles & Zest (aka Surfer Rosa) - They will never get tired of playing this song live. They can and have done it in so many different styles. The vocal delivery slays and the Hall & Oates production influences is genius. My choice for a crossover hot. The background vocals are insane. Ben, I fucking love you. "Fell in love on the first date/inside a bathroom" and "We could get two drinks and a cigarette, dance to the music underneath the moonlight." is a great verse.
I Love You But Fuck You - An album track who's influences are obvious. Acts as a great intro to a song if you're an album oriented person.
In The Dark - So uniquely STA. The gospel vocals, fuck. Seriously, take some drugs and float. The kind of song that should be a hit but will only be an album track. This song is thickalicious. "I'm servin' up a brand new sonic, everybody going to have to notice." and "Back it up, back it up, like before,." are shots across the bow. Take notice.
Jukebox - Dad bragging bit - I have heard this song's progression from beginning to end and my kid kills it as a producer. When pop could be smart, This song has so many sections to it, I an waiting for an extended remix. Cameo meet Prince meet 2019 and beyond.
The Last Video Store - What a great fucking song title, so wistful. The vocal delivery in the second verse is beyond belief, "All of this pain I'm holding in." I dare another singer to match that delivery . My son's pick for the big hit.
MDMA (this will be name changed) - A monster hit in the making. That is so weird to type but it was played in some of the biggest dance clubs in the world on new years eve. take your drugs and let this song take over. Fitting in an outro guitar solo in a disco song is so good.
Midnight Car Light (MCL ) - I have heard this song in so many variations but with the same emotional heart. When a band reaches for the stars and achieves it. Heavily Pink Floyd inspired but all their own. A pure album track that takes a left turn somewhere around 2:30 minutes in and, well I've seen it live and it takes you places. Again, this is an album who's goal is to never let a stoned person lose the moment. Lofty goals achieved in this song.
New Socks - A bonus track at this time but really the emotional centre point of the album. This and (MCL). Garrison at his lyrical best, so many unforgetable lines. The live version I have shared is good, the studio version is great and different.
Monster Squad - Should be the album lead off track after a short introduction track. Upbeat and such am optimistic song. "Got a boombox, feeling kinda '80's."
Pink and Blue Another dance inspired track. "Get fucked up and vibe. There is a wave, ride it." is all I can say.

This album slays. I cannot wait until it drops. I hope my kid names names in interviews. So much could be said but 'let the music do the taking'.

Ty - should you ever across this, just know "I believed."

Mon January 14, 2019 1:49 pm

This is sorta like a Stickman thread

Sun February 10, 2019 5:38 am

LoathedVermin72 wrote:This is sorta like a Stickman thread
I think I live a sorta Stickman life. At least on my good days.

I am lucky, I have a pretty good kid (Tyler)and we can have a real conversations. At dinner tonight we were discussing some of his future in the short term. God bless him, he was (paraphrasing) "We (Garrison, the singer and Tyler) are all in. We have no choice but to tear Vancouver a new one. I'm 25, I live at home, I recorded most of two albums in my bedroom. I'm not sure people are going to understand how good or what has gone into this album. But we are going to kick in doors until people listen."

Now, my kid knows I will always support him but I love this attitude. They literally feel that every note matters. On the record, live. Every note matters.

Tue March 12, 2019 7:38 pm

First show in seven months and first as a two piece. They're just figuring out the backing tracks and how to use them properly.

I've listened to this a few times now and for a first show in months and first as a duo, they have potential. I think they need to figure out some of the backing track arrangements a bit more but they will get there. I'm not sure what others think but Garrison just slays as a singer and his stage presence is really coming along. The passion Garrison puts out is amazing in person and what he can do vocally is top tier. Obviously I am biased but I think they have a super strong set of songs. I cannot wait for the album to drop.

Monster Squad 0:00, this was the second or third song of the night.
Can You Feel It 3:45
MDMA 7:19, I love the breakdown at 10:15 mark
Love You but Fuck You 10:55, this is going to be a fun one live. I love how this is a near solo spotlight for Garrison's vocals.
Nike 12:55
Last Video Store 16:40, for an incredibly hard song to sing, Garrison nails it.
Midnight Car Light 21:20, my favorite song from this set. The scream solo at 23:40, not sure too many people can do that.

New Socks 0:00, my son's first time playing guitar live. He was supposed to talk to the crowd while Garrison settled on drums and got the vocal mic in place but Tyler told me as he was walking towards the mic he got nervous and said 'fuck that' and turned back. Pretty good vocal deliver from a drummer.
Girls of Summer 5:55, impromptu with way too much gain on guitar
Freckles & Zest (aka Surfer Rosa) 7:50

Mon April 01, 2019 5:07 am

Frustrating good news. They're working with a well respected management team who they are very happy with. The only person they wanted to be their manager changed management teams/co's so he could manage them. Unfortunately, management sees the band as 'A' list and wants major label release. So they're building an EPK and know the album may not be out for another year. They've started working on album 3 in the interim. The videos above is all there is for the short term. They're rough, do not do the music justice but that five song run of "MDMA, Love You But Fuck You, Nike, Last Video Store and Midnight Car Light" is the best run of songs I've ever heard from an unsigned band.

Mon April 01, 2019 2:02 pm

They're good :thumbsup: It's nice to see a father support his child's ambitions the way you do.

Thu June 13, 2019 4:38 pm

The band had their annual forest show this past weekend. 70 people out in the woods, a generator, ferry lights, booze and a band. How many bands throw a show in the woods? Pretty cool they can do this within a 25 minute drive of the downtown core of a million+ person city. It went to about 3am. They are planning a bigger one in the fall.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByoATtiFnUt/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet
https://www.instagram.com/p/ByoHMwvpcof/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

This weekend is the final mix of the album. Finally. There are going to be multiple mixes of some songs. The version the band likes for album purposes and three or four songs with what my kid calls "LA Big Shiny Dick" mixes to shop to labels. Once final mixes are in hand, it goes to a small run vinyl pressing.

They are officially signing contracts with their management group. Everyone is in agreement that, unless signed to a big label, that the album comes out this year before December. They have small labels wanting to put it out but they want to swing for the fences.

So much hurry up and wait.

Mon June 17, 2019 4:01 pm

Congrats on all his successes, dude. I can't imagine how proud you must feel. :nice: :nice: :nice:

Fri October 11, 2019 10:29 pm

The machinations of trying to get on with a big label sure moves slow. Lots of hard work done but still more to do.

They have five songs completely done except for mastering. They worked with an outside mixer and he hit a home run. My kid is so happy with the final mixes. Took five tries but they are gold. I am pushing hard for them to release one song as soon as possible, just to get something out there. Management has their game plan. I can't wait for people to hear this first batch of songs, I can't imagine how my kid feels about it.

They filmed a live show in September. It's being edited and mixed for he basis of an epk to shop to labels and be the basis for videos if they don't get picked up quickly and go the independent route to start.

No real news, just posting because I am over the moon about the final mixes of the five songs. Jukebox just makes you want to shake your ass, and I truly believe that the song Midnight Carlight will be up for a Juno (Canada's equivalent of a Grammy).

There's a song called Monster Squad, it's so happy and upbeat and tells a true story about making the album. Dates missed in making the album and sharing the dream.

Monster Squad

Baby there's this thing yeah,
I can hear you calling
but I can't come home right now.

Because tonight we're making music.
Ooh we're steady grooving,
Yeah we're trying to find that sound.

Ooh, because baby,
you want a brand new gold Mercedes,
a diamond ring, big house, a baby.
I gotta to give it my all.

Ooh baby, I've been 9 to 5 slaving,
I need your love, I'm craving
but I need my withdrawal.

Good times make me love so crazy x4

Let me get my head straight.
Fuck what all your friends say.
They think I got nothing on Jack.

Forget that mellow headed movement.
I ain't got to prove shit.
Truth is I got nothing on Jack.

Ooh cuz baby, Miami, San Diego,
London, Paris, Rio.
Baby, we ain't that far.

Ooh cuz baby, you got vintage old daisies,
I got a boombox, feeling kind of 80's.
So baby we can go home.

Good times make me love so crazy x4

Wed October 30, 2019 5:59 pm

My son played me the live mixes of songs being put together for an EPK and future videos. The songs and filming are from a showcase gig they did in September. The songs are tight as fuck. They play to backing tracks for now but have rerecorded some backing tracks as live, one takes to give their live show more of a live feel. They are playing as a two piece currently but look forward to becoming a full band with backup singers.

The mixes are tight with good separation between backing track and what's live, and Garrison, the singer just kills it. How he can pull off the scream solo in Midnight Carlight live is beyond me.

They are resigned to nothing coming out this year except for maybe a single. I can't wait to see these up on streaming services.

Forgive my rambles. It is very hard to be so excited about the music and my son's (and Garrison's) future while knowing the process to get the music out is a slow one.

Mon April 13, 2020 7:01 pm

Been a long time coming but final mixes for ten songs are done. Temporarily available here,
https://soundcloud.com/sam-the-astronaut/sets/mcl-march-5/s-TNRbC

Update: link no longer valid.
Last edited by surfndestroy on Thu May 14, 2020 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Sam The Astronaut - Midnight Carlight (the second album)

Mon May 11, 2020 1:21 am

Finally some etched in stone release dates. First single, Midnight Carlight on June 5. Follow up singles on July 3 (TBD), July 31 (Monster Squad, I think) and August 21 (MDMA). Album Midnight Carlight) to drop on August 28. A long road to release but the right one for the band.

June 5 - Midnight Carlight (single, video)
June 19 - Midnight Carlight (live video)
July 3 - Last Video Store/Foxey (double A side single)
July 31 - Monster Squad (single)
August 21 - MDMA (single)
August 28 - Midnight Carlight (album).

Promso starting May 29 and online store opening June 12. I think all singles will be video supported with a planned online media presence and strategy.

The album is 11 tracks and comes in at about 40 minutes. I listened to a properly mastered version yesterday and it is good. Regardless of how it does, I am extremely proud of my son and his partner. An incredible amount of work and passion has gone into this.
Last edited by surfndestroy on Sun May 17, 2020 4:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 17, 2020 3:33 am

surfndestroy wrote:Finally some etched in stone release dates. First single, Midnight Carlight on June 5. Follow up singles on July 3 (TBD), July 31 (Monster Squad, I think) and August 21 (MDMA). Album Midnight Carlight) to drop on August 28. A long road to release but the right one for the band.

June 5 - Midnight Carlight (single)
July 3 - Last Video Store/Foxey (double A side single)
July 31 - Monster Squad (single)
August 21 - MDMA (single)
August 28 - Midnight Carlight (album).

Promo starting and online store opening end of May. I think all single will be video supported with a planned online media presence and strategy.

The album is 11 tracks and comes in at about 40 minutes. I listened to a properly mastered version yesterday and it is good. Regardless of how it does, I am extremely proud of my son and his partner. An incredible amount of work and passion has gone into this.

:thumbsup: am looking forward!

Tue May 26, 2020 10:45 pm

First single, Midnight Carlight drops June 5. Social media campaign is just starting for it. A brief clip of the intro can be found on their Instagram here, https://www.instagram.com/p/CAqiFf5Awcz/?igshid=bpna93aof572

If you are intrigued or think you want to take a listen, please use think link to pre-save it, https://ffm.to/mclsingle.ois.

Pre-saving is an important thing you can do for any band without a label. It allows bands to get on more and better playlists at each platform. This is even more important now that indie bands aren’t able to tour and are almost solely relying on music streaming for revenue and as a basis for word of mouth.

Last edited by surfndestroy on Thu May 28, 2020 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue May 26, 2020 11:12 pm

surfndestroy wrote:First single, Midnight Carlight drops June 5. Social media campaign is just starting for it. A brief clip of the intro can be found on their Instagram here, https://www.instagram.com/p/CAqiFf5Awcz/?igshid=bpna93aof572

If you are intrigued or think you want to take a listen, please use think link to pre-save it, https://ffm.to/mclsingle.ois.

Pre-saving is an important thing you can do for any band without a label. It allows bands to get on more and better playlists at each platform. This is even more important now that indie bands aren’t able to tour and are almost solely relying on music streaming for revenue and as a basis for word of mouth.

Sounds cool

Thu June 04, 2020 3:57 pm

Your son is really talented. I dig it.

Thu June 04, 2020 5:55 pm

bthunders wrote:Your son is really talented. I dig it.

Thanks. I will pass that along to him. He and his partner worked their asses off on this. They wish they could be more excited about the release later tonight but they both appreciate and cognizant that there are much more important and immediate events taking place. I believe 100% of Bandcamp proceeds will be going to charity.

Fri June 05, 2020 4:50 am

Midnight Carlight, the single is now out. The scream solo is unworldly. An obvious nod to The Great Gig In The Sky but executed their own way.

This will be track 5 on the album once it is released. They originally had another song set as their first release but thought this song was better representative of the moment.

Next up, in two weeks is a live video version of the song. They had the video in the bank and they wanted to flex a little that the scream solo is not a studio concoction.

After that there are four singles set to drop prior to the album. I am pumped as hell that this is finally being released.
Post a reply