The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Release

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 439 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Writing...
PostPosted: Mon August 26, 2013 4:55 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

durdencommatyler wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
I received my two reviews from the screenlay competition.

One review didn't understand the last 20pgs and needed clarity, and the other review praised it and understood everything.

They give you a chance to revise & resubmit the piece, but I'm sort of caught in a pickle with the two reviews. I don't know. I'll figure something out.

Very nice.

What's the pickle?

The reviewer that didn't understand it, REALLY didn't understand it. I'd have to change plot points and the whole ending. So if the screenplay advances into the next group, I'd have to hope I get a reader who is like the second reviewer. Or I can choose to revise it, but that might screw something up that was already good.

I mean, if one person didn't get it and the rest of the review (as well as the other was solid/high praise) I don't see why you need to totally change anything. You won't be able to please everyone, obviously. If you're happy with it, submit it.

This. Both you and the second reviewer like and understand it - that's 2 out of 3. If the other reviewer doesn't understand it, then it's not up to you to spell it out and dumb it down for them; they're just stupid.

Go with your gut.

PostPosted: Mon August 26, 2013 9:35 am 
10Club Complaint Department

Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:
I received my two reviews from the screenlay competition.

One review didn't understand the last 20pgs and needed clarity, and the other review praised it and understood everything.

They give you a chance to revise & resubmit the piece, but I'm sort of caught in a pickle with the two reviews. I don't know. I'll figure something out.

Very nice.

What's the pickle?

The reviewer that didn't understand it, REALLY didn't understand it. I'd have to change plot points and the whole ending. So if the screenplay advances into the next group, I'd have to hope I get a reader who is like the second reviewer. Or I can choose to revise it, but that might screw something up that was already good.

I mean, if one person didn't get it and the rest of the review (as well as the other was solid/high praise) I don't see why you need to totally change anything. You won't be able to please everyone, obviously. If you're happy with it, submit it.

This. Both you and the second reviewer like and understand it - that's 2 out of 3. If the other reviewer doesn't understand it, then it's not up to you to spell it out and dumb it down for them; they're just stupid.

Go with your gut.

Agreed. Not everyone will get what you write and you shouldn't try for that; chances are if you're not disappointing your detractors, you're not fully winning over your fans either.

PostPosted: Fri August 30, 2013 3:54 am 
Looks Like a Cat

I'm in the middle of drafting my bio for the contributor page of a local ink and paper food and culture quarterly.

...and drawing a complete blank.

PostPosted: Fri August 30, 2013 12:43 pm 

surface the north wrote:
I'm in the middle of drafting my bio for the contributor page of a local ink and paper food and culture quarterly.

...and drawing a complete blank.

Be factual, not whimsical and 'clever'. I'm going out in a bit for a few hours, but if you need someone to look at it I'll be here this evening (well, for the 1pm EST track reveal).

PostPosted: Thu November 07, 2013 11:39 pm 
Future Drummer

So I have some interesting stuff I'm trying to research for a new script idea. This one is on the back burner, but I'm anxious to get started.

There's a history surrounding numerous cheese factories in Wisconsin in the 1940s, 50's, 60s, & 70s, in the area where I grew up, that were affiliated with the mob in Milwaukee & Chicago. I have extended family who worked at those factories and two who saw more than they should have. I asked to talk to them about it but they declined. This will be a chore. But it's fun! I love research.

PostPosted: Thu November 14, 2013 12:24 am 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

sounds gouda

PostPosted: Thu November 14, 2013 12:48 am 
Misplaced My Sponge

Harry Lime wrote:
So I have some interesting stuff I'm trying to research for a new script idea. This one is on the back burner, but I'm anxious to get started.

There's a history surrounding numerous cheese factories in Wisconsin in the 1940s, 50's, 60s, & 70s, in the area where I grew up, that were affiliated with the mob in Milwaukee & Chicago. I have extended family who worked at those factories and two who saw more than they should have. I asked to talk to them about it but they declined. This will be a chore. But it's fun! I love research.

You should look closer to your new home for inspiration. The AZ copper mining industry is sure to be a goldmine of Grapes of Wrath-like hardships. Just take a drive out to the Miami/Globe area. It's bleak as fuck.

PostPosted: Thu November 14, 2013 3:55 am 
post-structuralist

The Argonaut wrote:
sounds gouda

:haha:

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Fri November 15, 2013 10:15 pm 
Future Drummer

turned2black wrote:
Harry Lime wrote:

You should look closer to your new home for inspiration. The AZ copper mining industry is sure to be a goldmine of Grapes of Wrath-like hardships. Just take a drive out to the Miami/Globe area. It's bleak as fuck.

Yeah, I've been thinking about this region. And two things always stick out in my mind: 1.) The countless memorials I see in New Mexico & Arizona off the highway. 2.) The Native American reservations. I'm not as black & white as my brother and the other U.S. Marshals he works with, but they've told me some unpleasant stories hanging around those areas. It sounds like a world I really don't understand and that's what intrigues me.

But I'll look into those copper mines. I have to get the hell out of Glendale.

PostPosted: Fri November 15, 2013 10:31 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

a man would have half a mind to turn back in the face of biblical dust

PostPosted: Fri January 03, 2014 12:22 am 
Future Drummer

Love this. Writer/director Brian Koppelman's stance on screenwriting teachers & gurus. This is how I thought in my screenwriting class in college and it's how I think now. For me, the same goes for acting.

"All screenwriting books are bullshit, all. Watch movies, read screenplays. Let them be your guide."

"If you love and want to make movies about issues of social import, get your hands on Paddy Chayefsky's screenplay for Network. Read it. Then watch the movie. Then read it again."

Quote:
Back in September, we wrote about writer, director and producer Brian Koppelman's six second screenwriting tips on Vine (he just posted tip #122). His #1 tip was "All screenwriting books are bullshit, all. Watch movies, read screenplays. Let them be your guide." The statement created a bit of an outcry -- especially from authors of screenwriting books and their devotees. Koppelman recently posted an extended response to the critics on his blog and has given Indiewire permission to republish it below:

A few months back, I started making Vines. I called them Six Second Screenwriting Lessons. The name meant to be ironic, of course, a statement on the absurdity of anyone teaching anyone else to write a screenplay, a way of calling out the screenwriting gurus who make money by sharing the 'secrets' of the trade with anyone willing to pony up a few (or a ton) of bucks. The way I felt then is the way I feel now: all anyone in a creative field can do for anyone else is to be an example, to encourage, to be honest about the challenges and rewards of attempting the same path.

I'm glad that some of you have gotten something of value out of these messages. To those who have gotten in touch with me to say that they are writing again after a long hiatus or finally finishing that screenplay, I want you to know that I'm thrilled for you. And I hope 2014 brings you even more accomplishment...

Now that 2013 has come to a a close, I want to revisit two of the most controversial Vines.

On the first Six Second Screenwriting Lesson, I said, "All screenwriting books are bullshit. All. Watch movies. Read screenplays. Let them be your guide. And then on the fourth one, I said, "The so-called screenwriting guru is really the so-called screenwriting con man. Don’t listen to them, if you don't know their movies."

Since then, I have been asked many times, "Do you really mean all screenwriting books? Aren’t there any of any value?" And, "Are you including Robert McKee in those statements?"

There's a safe way to answer those questions, and it's an answer I've given, "I haven't read every book. There are parts of McKee's book that are interesting. Some screenwriters I respect, including Billy Ray and Akiva Goldsman have told me that they've gotten a lot out of McKee's course..."

Yes, McKee has been able to break down how the popular screenplay has worked. He has identified key qualities that many commercially successful screenplays share, he has codified a language that has been adopted by creative executives in both film and television. So there might be something of tangible value to be gained by interacting with his material, either in book form or at one of the seminars.

But for someone who wants to be an artist, a creator, an architect of an original vision, the best book to read on screenwriting is no book on screenwriting. The best seminar is no seminar at all.

To me, the writer wants to get as many outside voices OUT of his/her head as possible. Experts win by getting us to be dependent on their view of the world. They win when they get to frame the discussion, when they get to tell you there's a right way and a wrong way to think about the game, whatever the game is. Because that makes you dependent on them. If they have the secret rules, then you need them if you want to get ahead.

The truth is, you don't.

If you love and want to make movies about issues of social import, get your hands on Paddy Chayefsky's screenplay for Network. Read it. Then watch the movie. Then read it again.

If you love and want to make big blockbusters that also have great artistic merit, do the same thing with Lawrence Kasdan's Raiders Of The Lost Ark screenplay and the movie made from it.

If you love horror movies and want to make those, read and watch those.

Think about how the screenplays made you feel. And how the movies built from these screenplays did or didn't hit you the same way.

This sounds basic, right? That’s because it is basic. And it's true. All the information you need is the movies and screenplays you love. And in the books you've read and the relationships you've had and your ability to use those things.

But basic does not mean easy. Or simple. It's not enough to read and watch. You have to really think, And try. And fail. And work harder. But if you do, and you have a knack for it, you can get there.

If you don't, I can assure you that it won't be because you didn’t read Save The Cat.

Does this mean that there are no legitimate resources for someone who wants to write for a living? Absolutely not.

When I say, "Don't listen to them if you don't know their movies," I'm saying it for a reason. There are people out there who are not giving false testimony, who are, in fact, successful screenwriters, filmmakers, novelists who aren't full of shit. Guys like Craig Mazin and John August, whose podcast Scriptnotes explores the screenwriting career accurately and with honesty. Both Mazin and August are working screenwriters, in the trenches, and have written screenplays that have turned into movies time and time again.

I know Craig and John. Like them personally (even if Mazin is maddeningly unbeatable in an email putdown contest, which he is). I don’t always agree with everything they say, don't always think about screenwriting the way they do, but I am sure that for the aspiring screenwriter, what they offer has tremendous value. Because they are actually experts. They write movies for a living. Instead of giving advice for a living.

So they have no incentive to lie; they are only in it to give back, to teach.

This is how I have always felt about William Goldman's books. And David Mamet's. But if you check these out, you'll note that none of them offer dictates on how your screenplay must read, where it must fit in the market, how it must be structured. They are, in other words, written without bullshit.

And there are wonderful books on the creative process too, on getting through creative blocks, on what it means to live the life of the writer, books like Steven Pressfield's War of Art and Stephen King's On Writing that I have read more than once. And plan to read again.

Once more, these are written by people who have DONE it, at the highest level, and who aren't trying to limit you in the guise of guiding you.

So. Do I stand by the statements that all screenwriting books are bullshit? And that screenwriting gurus are con men? Yeah. I do.

And I think you should save your money and your time and spend both on someone much more likely to impact your success. You.

PostPosted: Fri January 31, 2014 3:03 am 
Broken Tamborine

I wrote a guest blog post. Which is another way of saying I haven't written anything.

PostPosted: Fri January 31, 2014 3:03 am 
Broken Tamborine

hold on ...

PostPosted: Fri January 31, 2014 3:05 am 
Broken Tamborine

http://www.charityselect.com/#!food-bank-of-western-mass/ck1e
That's me bitches!

PostPosted: Fri January 31, 2014 8:04 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Dscans wrote:

:bammer:

PostPosted: Sat February 01, 2014 8:19 pm 

durdencommatyler wrote:

:nice:

PostPosted: Fri February 28, 2014 3:30 am 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

My books have been downloaded over 7,000 times.

'05 - 9/15, 9/16
'06 - 5/12, 5/13
'08 - 6/28, 6/30
'10 - 5/17
'11 - 9/12
'13 - 10/12, 10/15, 10/16, 10/25, 10/29
'16 - 08/25
'17 - 80/30
'18 - 8/10, 8/20, 9/4, 9/29

PostPosted: Fri February 28, 2014 11:19 pm 
Broken Tamborine

fitzy wrote:

More than 7,000 times. Who's your editor, Chief?

Joking. Good job, Fitzy. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon March 10, 2014 11:45 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

fitzy wrote:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon March 10, 2014 11:46 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Just finished up the second draft of my first novel. I cut 35 pages and about 8,000 words out of the summabitch.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 439 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 22  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Release