Switch to full style
Mmmm...sacrilicious...
Post a reply

Beyond Phở | The Vietnamese Cuisine Thread

Mon July 10, 2017 4:16 pm

I have two Vietnamese co-workers, who routinely bring in dishes and have four restaurants near my house.

Let's talk our favorite dishes!

Bánh mì
It's cheap and delicious. Essentially, a sub with Vietnamese meats and flavors. Most places sell these for around $5. I usually get mine extra spicy with grilled pork. If you have a Lee's Sandwich in your area you should check it out. Great cheap food.

Gà Xào Sả Ớt
Lemongrass and chili with Chicken, Beef or Tofu. I like it best with thinly cut, crispy tofu. But most places use the tofu blocks, so I ussually get it with chicken.

Cơm Chiên Tay Cầm
Chicken with bok choy and snowpeas over rice served in a clay pot. Not sure why they do the clay pot thing, it's not like anyone really believes the chicken was sitting in back in a clay pot for days. Really tasty. Had a variation with shrimp and tofu with lots of fish sauce that was very good as well.

Chim Cút Rô ti
Roasted quails on rice. I've now had this twice in the last week. Truly outstanding. Rich flavors. Pretty expensive, however. Apparently, some places serve it with the heads still attached, so if you have the kids with you, you may want to check.

Gỏi Cuốn
Classic spring rolls with peanut sauce. As common as Phở, but they are hard to beat and your children will love them.

Re: Beyond Phở | The Vietnamese Cuisine Thread

Mon July 10, 2017 5:36 pm

My faves at the local place are

Ma Bac Diet
Com Thit Nuong

Mon July 10, 2017 9:52 pm

I've got a lot to say on this topic, but I'm pretty busy right now. Until then, I'll say bravo for the character integrity in the title and OP.

Mon July 10, 2017 10:02 pm

i'll have a lot to say in this thread too..its my favorite place on earth to visit

Tue July 11, 2017 10:14 pm

Definitely a top 10 cuisine for me. I haven't had anything I don't like.

Fri July 14, 2017 10:07 pm

Bún thịt nướng

I can see why this is pretty popular. Basically BBQ pork on vermicelli rice noodles with basil, mint and nuts. Easy eating. Tasty, but not really my bag.

Fri July 14, 2017 11:57 pm

I just can't get beyond Pho. Anytime i get to a Vietnamese restaurant it is all i want!

Sat July 15, 2017 3:40 am

I just had Vietnamese tonight

Wed July 19, 2017 2:40 am

this is the thread for me

Wed July 19, 2017 4:54 am

E.H. Ruddock wrote:I just had Vietnamese tonight

I'm disappointed in the lack of food photo and details/review of what you had.

Wed July 19, 2017 8:57 am

I would like to try a really delicious Bánh mi. They do sell them here, but I don't want my first to be a bad experience.

Wed July 19, 2017 8:17 pm

Lee's Sandwiches today. Sliced jambon, headcheese and pate with spring rolls and a coffee. Pretty decent meal for under $10.

Wed July 19, 2017 8:32 pm

This thread piqued my interest and apparently there's a place like 5 minutes from me, so I guess I'm having Vietnamese for lunch.

Wed July 19, 2017 8:46 pm

vietnamese cilantro is one of life's greatest treasures

Wed July 19, 2017 9:24 pm

I guess I don't have as much to say in this thread that I originally thought I did. You guys are covering all the bases here.

Love this cuisine, though. I'm very happy that I live in a city with one of the largest Vietnamese populations in America.

Wed July 19, 2017 9:27 pm

LoathedVermin72 wrote:This thread piqued my interest and apparently there's a place like 5 minutes from me, so I guess I'm having Vietnamese for lunch.

It might just be the place I went, but this wasn't great.

Wed July 19, 2017 9:29 pm

it was the place

Wed July 19, 2017 9:31 pm

To be honest, I am always underwhelmed by pretty much all Asian cuisine, though.

Wed July 19, 2017 9:31 pm

Did you try the Bánh mi?

Wed July 19, 2017 9:32 pm

Instead of spring rolls, I like to get this shareable. Bánh Uot Tôm Chay

Crushed fried shrimp wrapped in soft rice paper. Crispy onions or shallots and veggies on top. Feels a lot like eating an egg over easy, but with a colorful burst of flavor.

Post a reply