The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: How many bagels have you had today? (now donuts again)
PostPosted: Tue February 09, 2021 9:17 pm 
Offline
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 32074
Location: the beach
nice...i have those same towels


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: How many bagels have you had today? (now donuts again)
PostPosted: Tue February 09, 2021 9:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 18314
Location: Space City
spike wrote:
washing machine wrote:
This is a fucking donut thread you rube. It's right there in the title.

don't be a b-hole
I feel like I'm in the right here. It's been long established that this thread switches back and forth from time to time, and when it does, the title always changes to accommodate the discussion. It's on you to keep up so please don't blame me.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: How many bagels have you had today? (now donuts again)
PostPosted: Tue February 09, 2021 9:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 40963
Location: Different mountains than strat and bodysnatcher.
spike wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
damn spike, those look great

they're very good. the outside is spot on, but the inside is more like bread than bagel (used bread flour). i'll have to research a different type flour for the next batch - any ideas?

No clue! I just eat 'em.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: How many bagels have you had today? (now donuts again)
PostPosted: Tue February 09, 2021 9:39 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:18 am
Posts: 23903
doug rr wrote:
nice...i have those same towels

i kinda hate em, as they show dirt and grime really easy. have to soak em in bleach.

reid, this is a thread about towels now. please update the thread title.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: How many bagels have you had today? (now donuts again)
PostPosted: Tue February 09, 2021 9:41 pm 
Offline
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 32074
Location: the beach
spike wrote:
doug rr wrote:
nice...i have those same towels

i kinda hate em, as they show dirt and grime really easy. have to soak em in bleach.

reid, this is a thread about towels now. please update the thread title.

i bought a 100 pack a few years ago..still going strong..some stains


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: How many bagels have you had today? (now donuts again)
PostPosted: Tue February 09, 2021 9:45 pm 
Offline
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 32074
Location: the beach
also, can we talk about english muffins here?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: How many bagels have you had today? (now donuts again)
PostPosted: Tue February 09, 2021 9:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:18 am
Posts: 23903
doug rr wrote:
also, can we talk about english muffins here?

no, only things with holes in them like your crummy old kitchen towels.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: How many bagels have you had today? (now donuts again)
PostPosted: Tue February 09, 2021 10:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 13868
Location: An office full of assholes
spike wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
damn spike, those look great

they're very good. the outside is spot on, but the inside is more like bread than bagel (used bread flour). i'll have to research a different type flour for the next batch - any ideas?

the bread flour shouldn't make that much difference. rather, it's probably the hydration levels and the amount of time for the second rise.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: How many bagels have you had today? (now donuts again)
PostPosted: Wed February 10, 2021 12:37 am 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:18 am
Posts: 23903
Chris_H_2 wrote:
spike wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
damn spike, those look great

they're very good. the outside is spot on, but the inside is more like bread than bagel (used bread flour). i'll have to research a different type flour for the next batch - any ideas?

the bread flour shouldn't make that much difference. rather, it's probably the hydration levels and the amount of time for the second rise.

i'll give it more time on the second rise next time. full disclosure... my secret weapon was my steam oven - so i don't think hydration would be the issue. i could tinker with that too, i suppose.

should i rest it longer and kneed it more after first rise?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: How many bagels have you had today? (now donuts again)
PostPosted: Wed February 10, 2021 1:29 am 
Offline
User avatar
Looks Like a Cat
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 13868
Location: An office full of assholes
spike wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
spike wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
damn spike, those look great

they're very good. the outside is spot on, but the inside is more like bread than bagel (used bread flour). i'll have to research a different type flour for the next batch - any ideas?

the bread flour shouldn't make that much difference. rather, it's probably the hydration levels and the amount of time for the second rise.

i'll give it more time on the second rise next time. full disclosure... my secret weapon was my steam oven - so i don't think hydration would be the issue. i could tinker with that too, i suppose.

should i rest it longer and kneed it more after first rise?

it may be that you're actually over proofing them and they're starting to deflate a bit.

also, when i made bagels (for my wife -- i'm not a big fan), i remember the instructions specifically mentioning that the dough needed to come to room temperature before boiling, or else they will deflate and come out dense (and bready).


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: How many donuts have you had today?
PostPosted: Wed February 10, 2021 4:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 65627
Had another good everything bagel for breakfast today

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: How many donuts have you had today?
PostPosted: Wed February 10, 2021 4:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:18 am
Posts: 23903
don't forget to floss, pal


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Wed March 03, 2021 6:33 am