The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining

Post subject: Garden(ing)
PostPosted: Mon March 04, 2013 7:56 pm 
AnalLog

Does anyone have a vegetable garden?

Post subject: Re: Garden(ing)
PostPosted: Mon March 04, 2013 7:57 pm 
Poster of the Year

My dad kept one when I was growing up. It was awesome to be able to grab a fresh cucumber or pepper whenever I wanted. We also had grape vines in the back yard.

PostPosted: Mon March 04, 2013 8:00 pm 
AnalLog

That option is indeed fabulous. Can't wait to cook using some home grown goodness.
I'm kinda worried about the number of each plants to plant though. I'm going to preserve as much as possible so there isn't any waste, but what happens if not much grows? Really hoping to grow all of our produce... guess this will be my success/fail thread.

PostPosted: Mon March 04, 2013 8:01 pm 
Poster of the Year

If you grow more than you can eat just pass the rest off to your neighbors.

PostPosted: Mon March 04, 2013 8:03 pm 
AnalLog

cutuphalfdead wrote:
If you grow more than you can eat just pass the rest off to your neighbors.

If we liked any of them :lol:
One is an older woman (97) and she's pretty limited on the produce she can eat these days.

PostPosted: Mon March 04, 2013 8:05 pm 
Broken Tamborine

We built a 12' x 12' raised bed 2 years ago and it's been great. We give away what we can't use to our neighbors but there's always the option of canning if you want to. We grow tomatoes, cukes, carrots, peppers, arugula, strawberries and squash as well as a bunch of herbs. We have room for a lot more actually but we're only two adults and a 1 year old. I'm toying with the idea of planting hops in the future too. That would involve building a pretty tall trellis and fencing off from the dog.

PostPosted: Mon March 04, 2013 8:08 pm 
AnalLog

vegman wrote:
We built a 12' x 12' raised bed 2 years ago and it's been great. We give away what we can't use to our neighbors but there's always the option of canning if you want to. We grow tomatoes, cukes, carrots, peppers, arugula, strawberries and squash as well as a bunch of herbs. We have room for a lot more actually but we're only two adults and a 1 year old. I'm toying with the idea of planting hops in the future too. That would involve building a pretty tall trellis and fencing off from the dog.

ugh, dogs. :lol: I've gotten our dog hooked on carrots, lettuce and celery. Thinking she might actually eat more than we do if it's not fenced in some how.
How many plants of each do you have? I have probably 50 different types of seeds right now... might have went a little overboard.

PostPosted: Mon March 04, 2013 8:45 pm 
Broken Tamborine

If I remember right it was 4 tomatoes, two were cherry and two were Romas. We had two green bell peppers and 2 red. A few carrots, 3 or 4 arugula plants (this year we're planting less arugula and some romaine with it), a few cukes and a few squash. I purposefully left a lot of room so it's easy to work. This year we're adding green beans and also garlic to help keep pests away. My dog keeps the rabbits away but something was getting up there and munching away. Hopefully not rats but we do live in the city.

PostPosted: Mon March 04, 2013 8:56 pm 
AnalLog

vegman wrote:
If I remember right it was 4 tomatoes, two were cherry and two were Romas. We had two green bell peppers and 2 red. A few carrots, 3 or 4 arugula plants (this year we're planting less arugula and some romaine with it), a few cukes and a few squash. I purposefully left a lot of room so it's easy to work. This year we're adding green beans and also garlic to help keep pests away. My dog keeps the rabbits away but something was getting up there and munching away. Hopefully not rats but we do live in the city.

2-3 of each seems like a pretty solid number. I'm struggling on amounts since we're vegetarian, produce doesn't usually last long around here.
That's pretty sweet, you got all of that in a 12x12 bed? Thinking my 6-8 beds might be overkill now :D lol

PostPosted: Mon March 04, 2013 9:18 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I grow primarily tomatoes, peas, and green beans.

I keep attempting Heirloom Tomatoes but the skins crack so easily on them and each plant only yields a few tomatoes. :/

PostPosted: Mon March 04, 2013 9:20 pm 
Poster of the Year

Yes, green beans. We also had green beans growing up.

PostPosted: Mon March 04, 2013 10:05 pm 
AnalLog

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
I grow primarily tomatoes, peas, and green beans.

I keep attempting Heirloom Tomatoes but the skins crack so easily on them and each plant only yields a few tomatoes. :/

ugh, that's no fun! What causes that do you think?

PostPosted: Mon March 04, 2013 11:03 pm 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

I've got a garden with spinach, broccoli, squash, cherry tomatoes. The snails fucking love it.

PostPosted: Mon March 04, 2013 11:04 pm 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

I've also got a lemon tree, an apple tree and a white cherry tree if that counts. But we never get to eat the cherries because the birds eat them all before they're even ripe.

PostPosted: Mon March 04, 2013 11:50 pm 
Poster of the Year

Don't put your faith in love, you'll see it's like the lemon tree.

PostPosted: Tue March 05, 2013 12:44 am 
Mind Your Tanners

WtOB? wrote:
I've also got a lemon tree, an apple tree and a white cherry tree if that counts. But we never get to eat the cherries because the birds eat them all before they're even ripe.

Where do you live that you can have those trees, and how long does it take for them to start producing well? I've always wanted to get some fruit trees from the nursery but don't know what to expect from them.

PostPosted: Tue March 05, 2013 12:48 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
WtOB? wrote:

Where do you live that you can have those trees, and how long does it take for them to start producing well? I've always wanted to get some fruit trees from the nursery but don't know what to expect from them.

The lemon tree produces all year, the cherries and apples only in summer. You should ask for some advice from the nursery about what will work in your area.

PostPosted: Tue March 05, 2013 1:01 am 
Mind Your Tanners

WtOB? wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
WtOB? wrote:

The lemon tree produces all year, the cherries and apples only in summer. You should ask for some advice from the nursery about what will work in your area.

Did you plant them or were they there when you got there?

PostPosted: Tue March 05, 2013 1:05 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
WtOB? wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
WtOB? wrote:

They were already here.

PostPosted: Tue March 05, 2013 1:17 am 
Mind Your Tanners

WtOB? wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
WtOB? wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
WtOB? wrote:

They were already here.

I see, ill have to ask what should do well here, and what time of year they should be planted

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining