The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Garden(ing)
PostPosted: Tue March 05, 2013 1:21 am 
Poster of the Year

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
WtOB? wrote:
I've also got a lemon tree, an apple tree and a white cherry tree if that counts. But we never get to eat the cherries because the birds eat them all before they're even ripe.

Where do you live that you can have those trees, and how long does it take for them to start producing well? I've always wanted to get some fruit trees from the nursery but don't know what to expect from them.

I live outside of Boston and growing up we had an apple, peach, plum, and apricot tree. All but the apricot bore fruit that you could actually eat.

PostPosted: Tue March 05, 2013 1:32 am 
Mind Your Tanners

cutuphalfdead wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
WtOB? wrote:
I've also got a lemon tree, an apple tree and a white cherry tree if that counts. But we never get to eat the cherries because the birds eat them all before they're even ripe.

Where do you live that you can have those trees, and how long does it take for them to start producing well? I've always wanted to get some fruit trees from the nursery but don't know what to expect from them.

I live outside of Boston and growing up we had an apple, peach, plum, and apricot tree. All but the apricot bore fruit that you could actually eat.

Do you remember if anything had to be done to them to protect them from the bad cold? I know we probably don't get anywhere near the cold down here that you guys do, and i guess we will need to know about protection from the real cold weather for the veggies also

PostPosted: Tue March 05, 2013 1:54 am 
Poster of the Year

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
WtOB? wrote:

Do you remember if anything had to be done to them to protect them from the bad cold? I know we probably don't get anywhere near the cold down here that you guys do, and i guess we will need to know about protection from the real cold weather for the veggies also

I have no idea but my dad had an exceptionally green thumb and put a lot of time into this stuff so I wouldn't be surprised if he had tricks up his sleeve.

PostPosted: Tue March 05, 2013 2:52 am 
AnalLog

Most fruits and veggies will grow here, but the citrus is a no go for sure. Would love to have lemons! Eventually I'd like to have a green house, would be possible to grow a few things all year round that way, but the plan for next winter is to just put straw down so the beds don't get totally ruined.

PostPosted: Tue March 05, 2013 2:54 am 
Poster of the Year

I remember going to California when I was five and being amazed that people had orange trees in their yards.

PostPosted: Tue March 05, 2013 2:56 am 
AnalLog

cutuphalfdead wrote:
I remember going to California when I was five and being amazed that people had orange trees in their yards.

Yeah, it's pretty cool. Could you imagine having fresh citrus every day from a tree in your yard? Heaven :heartbeat:

PostPosted: Tue March 05, 2013 3:09 am 
Poster of the Year

Chloe wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

Yeah, it's pretty cool. Could you imagine having fresh citrus every day from a tree in your yard? Heaven :heartbeat:

Oh boy.

PostPosted: Tue March 05, 2013 3:17 am 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

Chloe wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

I might just go outside now and grab a lemon off the tree and squeeze it into this water.

PostPosted: Tue March 05, 2013 2:34 pm 
AnalLog

WtOB? wrote:
Chloe wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

I might just go outside now and grab a lemon off the tree and squeeze it into this water.

I take it you aren't in NY anymore?

PostPosted: Tue March 05, 2013 3:40 pm 
Polluted

Chloe wrote:
WtOB? wrote:
Chloe wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

It's an imposter.

PostPosted: Tue March 05, 2013 5:02 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

cutuphalfdead wrote:

I lived in Los Angeles as a kid and we had a lemon tree, an orange tree, an avocado tree and white grapes. My neighbor had a fig tree. I loved the orange tree but I coldn't get my mom to pick the oranges for me and I wasn't aloowed to climb the tree. One day I wanted one so bad I climbed it anyway and when I fell out, I got in trouble. :|

We moved to Oregon later and and had 6 apple trees, a walnut tree, a filbert tree, some cherry tree that I think was ornamental because the cherries were really small even though the tree was huge, but the birds loved them. We also had purple grapes and blackberries. We made space for a garden and tilled for it but nothing was ever planted.

I would love to have a place to do some of that stuff. Not going to be ale to do much where I am right now.

PostPosted: Tue March 05, 2013 7:45 pm 
AnalLog

Self wrote:
Chloe wrote:
WtOB? wrote:
Chloe wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

It's an imposter.

Yup, I figured as much... Doesn't seem like Matt at all.

PostPosted: Tue March 05, 2013 7:47 pm 
AnalLog

Bee Girl wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

I lived in Los Angeles as a kid and we had a lemon tree, an orange tree, an avocado tree and white grapes. My neighbor had a fig tree. I loved the orange tree but I coldn't get my mom to pick the oranges for me and I wasn't aloowed to climb the tree. One day I wanted one so bad I climbed it anyway and when I fell out, I got in trouble. :|

We moved to Oregon later and and had 6 apple trees, a walnut tree, a filbert tree, some cherry tree that I think was ornamental because the cherries were really small even though the tree was huge, but the birds loved them. We also had purple grapes and blackberries. We made space for a garden and tilled for it but nothing was ever planted.

I would love to have a place to do some of that stuff. Not going to be ale to do much where I am right now.

Do they have a community garden in your area? Kevin and I used to grow random things in flower beds and parks when I lived in Chicago :) Sometimes things got ripped up, and other times people ate our goodies, but it was fun!

PostPosted: Tue March 05, 2013 8:07 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

I can try some container gardening on my patio.it's just very small and I'd need to be able to move them easily.

PostPosted: Tue March 05, 2013 10:42 pm 
Rank This Poster
 WWW  Profile

Chloe wrote:
Self wrote:
Chloe wrote:
WtOB? wrote:
Chloe wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

It's an imposter.

Yup, I figured as much... Doesn't seem like Matt at all.

I've simply changed.

PostPosted: Wed March 06, 2013 5:58 am 
Poster of the Year

Bee Girl wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:

We had three grapevines in my back yard growing up, two green and one purple. There was this wooden structure my dad built that had three beams and each had a vine growing up it. Here's a picture of half of it, taken as we were taking it down last fall:

Anyway, that thing was fucking awesome. You could sit on the patio and you were protected from the sun and rain by a canopy of grapevines. And as a kid I'd sit up on the ladder we'd have set up out there and just eat the grapes right off the vine.

Maintaining it was a lot of work, and I never realized how much work my dad put into it until my folks split up. When my dad was around there was always an abundance of grapes. We'd always have a big bowl full of them in the kitchen and there was always more on the vine. After he left, the animals got to them all before they were even close to ripe.

PostPosted: Wed March 06, 2013 9:06 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

gardening at night just didn't grow

PostPosted: Mon March 25, 2013 9:49 pm 
AnalLog

Anyone got their seeds started? Mine are looking a little sad, but we have sprouts, folks!

PostPosted: Mon March 25, 2013 9:59 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

My brother put on a great crawfish boil yesterday in an empty lot across the street from his apartment. As it turned out, that space belonged to the adjacent tea house, and a few employees and their friends were tackling an all-day project designed to transform the lot into a functional garden and green space.

The day turned out to be one of the best afternoons I've ever had, and exactly the sort of thing to christen that newly rejuvenated land. We shared our crawfish with the gardeners, and in return, they shared all sorts of gardening and tea knowledge with us.

PostPosted: Mon March 25, 2013 10:20 pm 
AnalLog

surface the north wrote:
My brother put on a great crawfish boil yesterday in an empty lot across the street from his apartment. As it turned out, that space belonged to the adjacent tea house, and a few employees and their friends were tackling an all-day project designed to transform the lot into a functional garden and green space.

The day turned out to be one of the best afternoons I've ever had, and exactly the sort of thing to christen that newly rejuvenated land. We shared our crawfish with the gardeners, and in return, they shared all sorts of gardening and tea knowledge with us.

That's awesome - it's great to see community gardens pop up in random spots like that.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining