Switch to full style
Mmmm...sacrilicious...
Post a reply

The role of the food critic

Tue February 14, 2017 11:32 pm

What is it, exactly? Is a critic a lifestyle writer, a journalist, something in between? If a restaurant or hospitality group with multiple concepts hits all the right notes when it comes to menu, service, atmosphere, etc. but has some serious payroll or staff turmoil happening below the surface, is it the obligation of the food critic to touch on these things in restaurant reviews and interviews?

Far too many critics that I read are guilty of publishing fluffy PR pieces for restaurants. I'm guessing that most critics for local publications lucked into the job without any real training in investigative journalism, so raising tougher questions about the seedy underbelly of the business without going through the proper channels could open the writers or the publications up to a potential lawsuit. Still, there's got to be more to the job than heaping praise onto a city's food scene wily-nily.

Anyone have experience or strong opinions about this?

Re: The role of the food critic

Tue February 14, 2017 11:36 pm

please watch the documentary City of Gold...I'll be more than happy to discuss this later

Tue February 14, 2017 11:37 pm

doug rr wrote:please watch the documentary City of Gold...I'll be more than happy to discuss this later

Ah, thank you. Hopefully it's available on one of the big three streaming services.

Tue February 14, 2017 11:39 pm

I wish I was a food guy. But I'm not.

Tue February 14, 2017 11:48 pm

Food critics are mostly shitheads. But they are very different from food writers, many of whom I respect deeply.

Tue February 14, 2017 11:48 pm

BurtReynolds wrote:I wish I was a food guy. But I'm not.

keep working on it..even pete is getting better

Tue February 14, 2017 11:50 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:Food critics are mostly shitheads. But they are very different from food writers, many of whom I respect deeply.

i agree but i sure do like to read Jonathan Gold

Tue February 14, 2017 11:57 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:Food critics are mostly shitheads. But they are very different from food writers, many of whom I respect deeply.

This is a good point. I'm not sure my city has any actual food writers aside from David Leftwich, who is more of a publisher and all-around chronicler of Gulf Coast history, culture and food. This is a problem in a city of this size.

Wed February 15, 2017 2:23 pm

People still read critic reviews for restaurants? :|

Yelp, TripAdvisor, Foursquare, etc are usually my go to for ambiance, clientele, and service. Food is so subjective. If a place is known for a specific dish, sure, a critical write up might be nice to read before heading out but is it vital?

Wed February 15, 2017 2:40 pm

Chloe wrote:People still read critic reviews for restaurants? :|

Yelp, TripAdvisor, Foursquare, etc are usually my go to for ambiance, clientele, and service. Food is so subjective. If a place is known for a specific dish, sure, a critical write up might be nice to read before heading out but is it vital?

Wed February 15, 2017 2:41 pm

:shake:

Wed February 15, 2017 2:46 pm

My day is ruined.

Wed February 15, 2017 2:47 pm

:shock: what the hell is that dish?

Wed February 15, 2017 2:48 pm

doone wrote::shock: what the hell is that dish?

weird. It's weird.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/1 ... 63377.html

Wed February 15, 2017 2:52 pm

Chloe wrote:
doone wrote::shock: what the hell is that dish?

weird. It's weird.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/1 ... 63377.html

huh, wonder if it works with people? soy sauce anyone?

Thu February 16, 2017 4:07 am

What's really fucked up is they eat actual live squid in some places that can kill you by blocking your esophagus. I'd try a lot of things but that's a big nope for me.

Thu February 16, 2017 4:29 am

The South Park food critic / Yelp episode was amazing.

Thu February 16, 2017 4:30 am

read some story recently about how smart octopuses are and how they may be kind of like people

pity because i love to eat them grilled

Thu February 16, 2017 10:01 pm

doug rr wrote:please watch the documentary City of Gold...I'll be more than happy to discuss this later

I wish more food documentaries featured snippets of Yo La Tengo songs.

Thu February 16, 2017 10:55 pm

washing machine wrote:

I wish more food documentaries featured snippets of Yo La Tengo songs.

did you watch it?
Post a reply