The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Top 10 GD Breads
PostPosted: Wed October 05, 2016 2:24 pm 
The Beef

durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Corn Bread is the best bread

It is good, but unlike more common "loaf" breads that have a little give as far as hardiness and room for error while making, corn bread is either fucking delicious or dry AF and sucky.

Also, you can't eat it with a wide variety of foods.

Untrue. Non-Asian soups, BBQ, and eggs all benefit from the inclusion of cornbread. Other fare, like steak or whatever you may find at a typical cookout, are elevated by a side of cornbread.

Right but you're excluding so many kinds of food, man. That's what I'm saying. And really a good biscuit is gonna go better with most of the foods you mentioned, anyway. Corn bread is outstanding, there's no denying that. But it can't be best because it's too limited.

If you wanted a "biscuit" with almost any meal in at least most of the commonwealth countries, you'd be laughed at. Scones are for tea, jam and cream only.

PostPosted: Wed October 05, 2016 2:28 pm 
Production Police

durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

It is good, but unlike more common "loaf" breads that have a little give as far as hardiness and room for error while making, corn bread is either fucking delicious or dry AF and sucky.

Untrue. Non-Asian soups, BBQ, and eggs all benefit from the inclusion of cornbread. Other fare, like steak or whatever you may find at a typical cookout, are elevated by a side of cornbread.

Right but you're excluding so many kinds of food, man. That's what I'm saying. And really a good biscuit is gonna go better with most of the foods you mentioned, anyway. Corn bread is outstanding, there's no denying that. But it can't be best because it's too limited.

Get out of here with that biscuit trash, Joey.

PostPosted: Wed October 05, 2016 2:28 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

ABNorman wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

If you wanted a "biscuit" with almost any meal in at least most of the commonwealth countries, you'd be laughed at. Scones are for tea, jam and cream only.

Are scones and biscuits the same thing in most of the commonwealth countries?

PostPosted: Wed October 05, 2016 2:29 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Get out of here with that biscuit trash, Joey.

Boy, you're missing out, friend. I'll gladly take any biscuit you don't want to eat. :li:

A well made biscuit... jesus god. Just about the only thing the South got right was the biscuit.

PostPosted: Wed October 05, 2016 2:30 pm 
Production Police

Yea, scones are not biscuits in the US.

PostPosted: Wed October 05, 2016 2:30 pm 
The Beef

durdencommatyler wrote:
ABNorman wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Yeah, a biscuit is an American cookie, a scone is an American biscuit, but 99% of the time its slightly sweetened and eaten as part of a cream tea (the aforementioned tea, scones and cream).

PostPosted: Wed October 05, 2016 2:31 pm 
Production Police

What's the precursor to Thomas's English muffins? Like, what's the homemade version like?

PostPosted: Wed October 05, 2016 2:31 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

ABNorman wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
ABNorman wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

Yeah, a biscuit is an American cookie, a scone is an American biscuit, but 99% of the time its slightly sweetened and eaten as part of a cream tea (the aforementioned tea, scones and cream).

What I'm talking about when I talk about biscuits has little in common with what we call a scone in America, friend.

PostPosted: Wed October 05, 2016 2:33 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

tragabigzanda wrote:
What's the precursor to Thomas's English muffins? Like, what's the homemade version like?

Quote:
Origin[edit]
The word "muffin" is thought to be Low German muffen meaning 'little cakes'.[3] In the past, muffins were sold door to door by hawkers in England as a snack bread before most houses were provided with ovens in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, giving rise to the traditional song "Do you know the Muffin Man?"

Samuel Bath Thomas emigrated from Plymouth, England to New York City in 1874.[4] By 1880 he had opened his own bakery at 163 Ninth Avenue. He invented what he called "toaster crumpets", selling them from the bakery to hotels and grocery stores. They were soft and spongy after baking like Victorian-era English crumpets, but thinner. They were also pre-cut (what was later called "fork-split"), so as to be able to be pulled apart, without the texture being crushed as it would be by slicing. Later they were baked in ovens.[5]

They became popular as an alternative to toast; Thomas opened a second bakery around the corner from the first at 337 West 20th Street in a building that remains known as "The Muffin Building".[4]

The Merriam-Webster dictionary gives the origin of the term "English Muffin" as 1902.[4] In a trademark filing in 1926, it was stated that the Thomas' name of the product was first used in 1894.[4]

The recipe and technique that leads to the unusual texture is a closely guarded secret, although competitors now have similar products.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_muffin

PostPosted: Wed October 05, 2016 2:35 pm 
The Beef

durdencommatyler wrote:
What I'm talking about when I talk about biscuits has little in common with what we call a scone in America, friend.

I've biscuited in the States (Southern food is the best), and they're essentially the same as scones out here, minus the sweetness. Thomas's English muffins look like a sort of cross between a scone and a crumpet.

PostPosted: Wed October 05, 2016 2:40 pm 
The Beef

Essentially, the best bread is extremely fresh, warm bread of pretty much any kind.

PostPosted: Wed October 05, 2016 2:41 pm 
The Master

ABNorman wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

I've biscuited in the States (Southern food is the best), and they're essentially the same as scones out here, minus the sweetness. Thomas's English muffins look like a sort of cross between a scone and a crumpet.

My Aussie wife loves scones but hates American biscuits.

PostPosted: Wed October 05, 2016 2:43 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

ABNorman wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:

A lot of the best biscuits here have a touch of sweetness to them, though.

I mean shit, just look at home amazing these are:

PostPosted: Wed October 05, 2016 2:48 pm 
The Beef

According to the food blogs it boils down to: Scones have eggs in the recipe, biscuits don't.

PostPosted: Wed October 05, 2016 2:50 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

This is a good spinoff thread but it should be moved to F&D

PostPosted: Wed October 05, 2016 2:51 pm 
The Beef

theplatypus wrote:
This is a good spinoff thread but it should be moved to F&D&L

PostPosted: Wed October 05, 2016 2:55 pm 
Major Dude

tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

God damn right. Corn bread fucking rules.

PostPosted: Wed October 05, 2016 2:55 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

ABNorman wrote:
theplatypus wrote:
This is a good spinoff thread but it should be moved to F&D&L

:hooray:

PostPosted: Wed October 05, 2016 2:56 pm 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

ABNorman wrote:
According to the food blogs it boils down to: Scones have eggs in the recipe, biscuits don't.

And both are fantastic options.

PostPosted: Wed October 05, 2016 2:57 pm 
Major Dude

ABNorman wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
ABNorman wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
durdencommatyler wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

This is wrong on so many levels.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining