The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Post subject: Re: Kitchen Hacks & Cooking Tips: An Ideas Thread
PostPosted: Mon April 04, 2016 10:58 pm 
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Mon April 04, 2016 10:59 pm 
Poster of the Year

It also doesn't bend your spoon if you use an actual ice cream scoop instead of a spoon.

PostPosted: Mon April 04, 2016 11:13 pm 
Thread Killer

Trim the top and bottom of the celery (cut it off of the root if it is still attached) and drop the stalks upright into a pitcher or jar of ice-cold water to re-crisp. You can also store celery like this. The ice water trick also works on tired broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, lettuce, and spinach.

and for strawberries, instead of cutting off the whole top to get the stem off, just poke a straw through the bottom and out the top, whole thing pops right off clean

PostPosted: Mon April 04, 2016 11:57 pm 
Production Police

Dpup, that strawberry trick is pretty rad. Your celery one made me think of this:

Keep leafy herbs like parsley and cilnatro waaaaaaaay longer in just two simple steps:

1. When you get them, wash them immediately. Dry the bunch in a salad spinner, then spread the herbs out on top of a clean, folded dish towel. Allow them to dry completely.

2. Arrange the dried herbs in a loose bunch, and wrap the bunch in dry paper towels. Put the towel-wrapped herbs in a plastic container, then put that in your crisper. Your parsley will keep for nearly a month.

PostPosted: Tue April 05, 2016 12:02 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

been doing the paper towel thing for years....its a good one

PostPosted: Tue April 05, 2016 2:40 pm 
Production Police

dpupenya wrote:

I'm skeptical that this would keep your ice cream "soft" -- the ambient temp of the freezer is going to make its way through a ziplock bag. What it will do is keep excess moisture out of your ice cream, and the constant opening of the freezer door would then not make your ice cream turn icy.

PostPosted: Tue April 05, 2016 2:42 pm 
Production Police

So I'm driving to Seattle tomorrow to meet with a co-packer. And then I'm going to have a look at this lil' cutie:

The idea is that I could fix 'er up and trick 'er out, and have a mobile soda fountain with homemade sodas, sundaes, etc. Very limited menu of 4-6 ice cream flavors, and a daily featured float, a sundae, maybe an ice cream sandwich.

PostPosted: Tue April 05, 2016 2:45 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

tragabigzanda wrote:
dpupenya wrote:

I'm skeptical that this would keep your ice cream "soft" -- the ambient temp of the freezer is going to make its way through a ziplock bag. What it will do is keep excess moisture out of your ice cream, and the constant opening of the freezer door would then not make your ice cream turn icy.

It really does work. Been using this method for months.

PostPosted: Tue April 05, 2016 7:06 pm 
Poster of the Year

tragabigzanda wrote:
dpupenya wrote:

You know how I get my ice cream soft enough? I leave it on the counter and go do something else for a few minutes and then come back to it.

PostPosted: Tue April 05, 2016 7:08 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

Microwave 15 seconds

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

Production Police

cutuphalfdead wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
dpupenya wrote:

You know how I get my ice cream soft enough? I leave it on the counter and go do something else for a few minutes and then come back to it.

As do most people. But eventually this degrades the quality of your ice cream, as the water molecules that are emulsified in the ice cream, plus any ambient humidity, start to create ice crystals.

Production Police

BurtReynolds wrote:
Microwave 15 seconds

:shake:

PostPosted: Tue April 05, 2016 7:10 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

buy better spoons

Poster of the Year

tragabigzanda wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
dpupenya wrote:

As do most people. But eventually this degrades the quality of your ice cream, as the water molecules that are emulsified in the ice cream, plus any ambient humidity, start to create ice crystals.

I don't know I usually go through a quart and a half of ice cream quickly enough that I don't notice any degradation in quality.

Production Police

cutuphalfdead wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
dpupenya wrote:

I don't know I usually go through a quart and a half of ice cream quickly enough that I don't notice any degradation in quality.

Yea, if you're eating it fast it's a non-issue.

PostPosted: Wed April 06, 2016 3:37 pm 
Thread Killer

dpupenya wrote:

Trim the top and bottom of the celery (cut it off of the root if it is still attached) and drop the stalks upright into a pitcher or jar of ice-cold water to re-crisp. You can also store celery like this. The ice water trick also works on tired broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, lettuce, and spinach.

and for strawberries, instead of cutting off the whole top to get the stem off, just poke a straw through the bottom and out the top, whole thing pops right off clean

After trying the strawberry trick I found that I prefer a single chop stick. Pokes through the bottom easy and doesn't clog shut like a straw

PostPosted: Wed April 06, 2016 3:56 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

We got a new oven today. It's all shiney and clean and I want to keep it that way. Cos invarably I always get stuck having to clean it and that's a tough job.

Any ideas to keep it from getting all greasy n gunked up?

PostPosted: Wed April 06, 2016 4:08 pm 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

wipe it down after each use. You let stuff build up in there then it bakes and gets harder to remove. 1 minute of wiping down after each use saves 1 hour of cleaning later.

PostPosted: Wed April 06, 2016 4:23 pm 
what on earth am I talking about

E.H. Ruddock wrote:
wipe it down after each use. You let stuff build up in there then it bakes and gets harder to remove. 1 minute of wiping down after each use saves 1 hour of cleaning later.

Yeah I was thinking that would be the only way. We cover everything in tinfoil usually anyways. Still gets all greasy though somehow.

PostPosted: Wed April 06, 2016 4:26 pm 
Fake NYC Setlist Relayer

dpupenya wrote:

After trying the strawberry trick I found that I prefer a single chop stick. Pokes through the bottom easy and doesn't clog shut like a straw

I tried the straw through the strawberry trick this morning. Worked perfectly.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining