The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Kitchen Hacks & Cooking Tips: An Ideas Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 09, 2016 9:02 pm 
Offline
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 18292
Location: the beach
tragabigzanda wrote:
doug rr wrote:
anyone here ever use one of those giant himalayan salt blocks? I'm thinking of getting one and see if theres any difference in taste for grilling ribeye...

A chef I worked for used one briefly on his tasting menus. IIRC, he deemed it useless and gimmicky and moved on pretty quickly.


same here..a chef friend still uses one at home on the grill for wagyu and a few other things..he also said its more just for fun at parties and whatnot..i'm still going to pick one up just because and give it a go...trader joe's has them for $15


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kitchen Hacks & Cooking Tips: An Ideas Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 09, 2016 9:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 35549
doug rr wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
any tips on grilling a pork tenderloin?


plenty

proceed...


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kitchen Hacks & Cooking Tips: An Ideas Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 09, 2016 9:47 pm 
Offline
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 18292
Location: the beach
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
doug rr wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
any tips on grilling a pork tenderloin?


plenty

proceed...


how big is it? under 2 pounds?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kitchen Hacks & Cooking Tips: An Ideas Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 09, 2016 10:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 35549
doug rr wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
doug rr wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
any tips on grilling a pork tenderloin?


plenty

proceed...


how big is it? under 2 pounds?

big...i think it's around 3.75


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kitchen Hacks & Cooking Tips: An Ideas Thread
PostPosted: Thu November 10, 2016 12:46 am 
Offline
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 18292
Location: the beach
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
doug rr wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
doug rr wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
any tips on grilling a pork tenderloin?


plenty

proceed...


how big is it? under 2 pounds?

big...i think it's around 3.75


when are you planning on grilling it?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kitchen Hacks & Cooking Tips: An Ideas Thread
PostPosted: Thu November 10, 2016 12:47 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 35549
doug rr wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
doug rr wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
doug rr wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
any tips on grilling a pork tenderloin?


plenty

proceed...


how big is it? under 2 pounds?

big...i think it's around 3.75


when are you planning on grilling it?

turns out it's 4.5, so i'll probably need to cut it in half

probably friday or saturday


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kitchen Hacks & Cooking Tips: An Ideas Thread
PostPosted: Thu November 10, 2016 12:48 am 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 16487
How are you cooking without a kitchen sink, Lenny?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kitchen Hacks & Cooking Tips: An Ideas Thread
PostPosted: Thu November 10, 2016 12:49 am 
Offline
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 18292
Location: the beach
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
doug rr wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
doug rr wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
doug rr wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
any tips on grilling a pork tenderloin?


plenty

proceed...


how big is it? under 2 pounds?

big...i think it's around 3.75


when are you planning on grilling it?

turns out it's 4.5, so i'll probably need to cut it in half

probably friday or saturday


grilling it outdoor?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kitchen Hacks & Cooking Tips: An Ideas Thread
PostPosted: Thu November 10, 2016 12:50 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 35549
tragabigzanda wrote:
How are you cooking without a kitchen sink, Lenny?

my sink still works


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kitchen Hacks & Cooking Tips: An Ideas Thread
PostPosted: Thu November 10, 2016 2:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 3:21 pm
Posts: 35549
doug rr wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
doug rr wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
doug rr wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
doug rr wrote:
lennytheweedwhacker wrote:
any tips on grilling a pork tenderloin?


plenty

proceed...


how big is it? under 2 pounds?

big...i think it's around 3.75


when are you planning on grilling it?

turns out it's 4.5, so i'll probably need to cut it in half

probably friday or saturday


grilling it outdoor?

yes


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kitchen Hacks & Cooking Tips: An Ideas Thread
PostPosted: Thu November 10, 2016 2:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Sat January 05, 2013 7:30 am
Posts: 6761
Location: here
tragabigzanda wrote:
How are you cooking without a kitchen sink, Lenny?


dirtily

_________________
Iholdthepain wrote:
I pretend I'm an astronaut on a different planet sometimes when I shovel.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kitchen Hacks & Cooking Tips: An Ideas Thread
PostPosted: Fri November 11, 2016 9:28 am 
Offline
User avatar
Technical Overlord
 Profile

Joined: Sat April 13, 2013 8:18 pm
Posts: 6278
Location: earf
I say, "Hey Wendy, cook me a sandwich".


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kitchen Hacks & Cooking Tips: An Ideas Thread
PostPosted: Tue December 20, 2016 5:40 am 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 24, 2013 4:32 am
Posts: 4422
I saw a video recently about boiling pasta in a latge frying pan. So just like 2" deep of water, so it boils faster. Which totally makes sense.

So now I'm wondering why the cooking directions on pasta always suggest so much fucking water. I usually use maybe half the amount recommended and it's fine. What gives?

_________________
matt reeder wrote:
Oklahoma is terrible. It's one of our worst states by almost every metric, including stolen sports teams.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kitchen Hacks & Cooking Tips: An Ideas Thread
PostPosted: Tue December 20, 2016 12:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:17 pm
Posts: 1923
Location: right there
I think traditionally there's supposed to be enough room for the pasta to roll around, so it doesn't stick together or to the bottom of the pot.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kitchen Hacks & Cooking Tips: An Ideas Thread
PostPosted: Tue December 20, 2016 4:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 16487
Tried to act cool for my wife last night, showing her how to use mandoline slicer. Took the tips of two fingers clean off. My hands are all gauzed up today, and everything is difficult to do with my left hand.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kitchen Hacks & Cooking Tips: An Ideas Thread
PostPosted: Tue December 20, 2016 5:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar
AnalLog
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:17 pm
Posts: 1923
Location: right there
That's a rite of passage. I took my knuckles off first time I used a mandoline then slice deep into the pad of my thumb on another occasion. After that my husband bought me a cut proof glove. I wear it religiously. :lol:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kitchen Hacks & Cooking Tips: An Ideas Thread
PostPosted: Tue December 20, 2016 5:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 16487
doone wrote:
That's a rite of passage. I took my knuckles off first time I used a mandoline then slice deep into the pad of my thumb on another occasion. After that my husband bought me a cut proof glove. I wear it religiously. :lol:

Ha, yea it definitely is a right of passage. The kicker is I did this once already around 2005, and have been using a mandoline just fine ever since. It was to be my wife's first time, and I guess I got a little overzealous.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kitchen Hacks & Cooking Tips: An Ideas Thread
PostPosted: Tue December 20, 2016 5:37 pm 
Offline
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 18292
Location: the beach
been there..only seems to happen to me with radishes


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kitchen Hacks & Cooking Tips: An Ideas Thread
PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 6:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rank This Poster
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 5453
Location: Space City
I was making some farro for breakfast today and noticed that my betrothed had left a bag of tamarind powder half open on the spice rack. It went in the pot with some chopped up spam making this was the most delicious farro ever. If you try this, round it all out with some arugula and top with a fried egg. You're welcome.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: Kitchen Hacks & Cooking Tips: An Ideas Thread
PostPosted: Thu July 27, 2017 6:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 16487
washing machine wrote:
I was making some farro for breakfast today and noticed that my betrothed had left a bag of tamarind powder half open on the spice rack. It went in the pot with some chopped up spam making this was the most delicious farro ever. If you try this, round it all out with some arugula and top with a fried egg. You're welcome.

This sounds great.


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Sun September 24, 2017 1:39 am