The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Any food industry professionals here?
PostPosted: Tue March 29, 2016 8:48 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

BurtReynolds wrote:
Team FOH. Fuck the line cooks!

Most do.

PostPosted: Tue March 29, 2016 8:51 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

washing machine wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:
Team FOH. Fuck the line cooks!

Most do.

the dishwashers get all the poon.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Tue March 29, 2016 8:54 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

That can't be true.

PostPosted: Tue March 29, 2016 9:16 pm 
slower than 82% of US

15 years of commercial grilling/catering here

PostPosted: Tue March 29, 2016 9:18 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Mecca wrote:

I've often thought about going into business doing this, though with a focus on crawfish and other large batch things on that kind of equipment. Do you do this on the side or have you had any experience on the business end of things?

PostPosted: Tue March 29, 2016 9:21 pm 
slower than 82% of US

washing machine wrote:
Mecca wrote:

I've often thought about going into business doing this, though with a focus on crawfish and other large batch things on that kind of equipment. Do you do this on the side or have you had any experience on the business end of things?

its my main job; i handle all of the contracts and most of the accounts receivable/payable on the business end of things along with some other trivial administrative duties.

PostPosted: Tue March 29, 2016 9:26 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Mecca wrote:

we should smoke some 15lb briskets together sometime

PostPosted: Tue March 29, 2016 9:32 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Pretty amazed to learn of Ruddo's past as a popular seafood joint.

PostPosted: Tue March 29, 2016 9:37 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Mecca wrote:
washing machine wrote:
Mecca wrote:

its my main job; i handle all of the contracts and most of the accounts receivable/payable on the business end of things along with some other trivial administrative duties.

I'm curious about the permitting process and any ongoing fees or regulations you incur, and how that differs from Buffalo to Houston.

PostPosted: Tue March 29, 2016 10:07 pm 
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh

I still reflect fondly on the era in my life when I evolved from bus boy to waiter to mid cook. What a time to be a strapping young lad. Life lessons learned that certainly helped shape me into the capable human being that I am today.

PostPosted: Tue March 29, 2016 10:42 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Kaius wrote:
I still reflect fondly on the era in my life when I evolved from bus boy to waiter to mid cook. What a time to be a strapping young lad. Life lessons learned that certainly helped shape me into the capable human being that I am today.

In all seriousness, I can totally relate. There are few industries that are suited for upward mobility as quickly as the hospitality industry if you really care about the work that you do, and the feeling of your efforts being recognized and countered with more responsibilities is a great for the soul. Too bad the week to week pay often decreases as you go up through the server/manager/GM or server/line cook ladder.

PostPosted: Tue March 29, 2016 11:35 pm 
Production Police

washing machine wrote:
Kaius wrote:

In all seriousness, I can totally relate. There are few industries that are suited for upward mobility as quickly as the hospitality industry if you really care about the work that you do, and the feeling of your efforts being recognized and countered with more responsibilities is a great for the soul. Too bad the week to week pay often decreases as you go up through the server/manager/GM or server/line cook ladder.

Yes.

But there are some big steps being taken to change that. Danny Meyer is doing away with tips, and spreading the new gratuity surcharge throughout the back of the house. And Alice Waters has been operating without tips for years, and her employees all get health insurance. We're a long way off from migrant farm laborers having terrific working conditions, or management having a reason to stay beyond owning their own place someday...If there's one great thing that's come from the foodie explosion of the last 15 years, it's that people have really started paying attention to the restaurants as being part of an entire industry.

PostPosted: Tue March 29, 2016 11:52 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

I'm a big fan of Danny Meyer. Still, I wonder how a tipless restaurant economy would work in cities and towns with less income per capita than NYC.

PostPosted: Wed March 30, 2016 12:01 am 
Production Police

It's a great question. Anyone else seen a tipless format in a smaller/less affluent market?

PostPosted: Wed March 30, 2016 12:10 am 
Looks Like a Cat

I do agree 100% that the foodie explosion has created a climate where people are proud to work in the industry, and savvy restaurateurs are smart to help turn this momentum into lower turnover for FOH and BOH positions. I managed in a restaurant group that offers health insurance to all employees as well, and I learned enough about the industry while working with them to want to make a career out of food & bev (I sell beer for a great local brewery now because I couldn't hang with GM hours and the opportunity was too good to pass up.) Hopefully sooner rather than later people don't get asked that ignorant old cliche, "but what do you really want to do with your life?" when you tell them that you work in the hospitality industry.

PostPosted: Wed March 30, 2016 12:21 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Of course, everything I just said can be and often is totally lost on the typical evening server who makes $300 a night and still thinks they need a bigger section and less bullshit sidework.

PostPosted: Wed March 30, 2016 12:34 am 
The Master

tragabigzanda wrote:
It's a great question. Anyone else seen a tipless format in a smaller/less affluent market?

yes, in every country except the united states.

PostPosted: Wed March 30, 2016 12:35 am 
Production Police

spike wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

yes, in every country except the united states.

Well played.

PostPosted: Wed March 30, 2016 2:29 am 
slower than 82% of US

washing machine wrote:
Mecca wrote:
washing machine wrote:
Mecca wrote:

I'm curious about the permitting process and any ongoing fees or regulations you incur, and how that differs from Buffalo to Houston.

as far as permits/fees you're really only talking about health departments. We operate in about 8 counties each with their own health department regulations, but we reside in one of the most strict in the region so they accept the yearly inspection done of our facilities as a basis along with spot checking a few events we hold in their county. we fall under the "mobile catering" in the counties our HQ isn't in, so fees range from $75-$200 depending on the county.

PostPosted: Wed March 30, 2016 2:39 am 
Production Police

Mecca wrote:
washing machine wrote:
Mecca wrote:
washing machine wrote:
Mecca wrote:

as far as permits/fees you're really only talking about health departments. We operate in about 8 counties each with their own health department regulations, but we reside in one of the most strict in the region so they accept the yearly inspection done of our facilities as a basis along with spot checking a few events we hold in their county. we fall under the "mobile catering" in the counties our HQ isn't in, so fees range from $75-$200 depending on the county.

This may be different in Big Sky because the "town" is unincorporated, but there are additional fees for vending at certain events. Most are entirely reasonable -- less than $50 -- but there's one huge 3-day event here in the summer that costs me $500 to enter.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining