The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

So HOW do you EAT your MEAT???
blue rare, for i am a savage animal 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
rare 18%  18%  [ 5 ]
medium rare 57%  57%  [ 16 ]
medium 18%  18%  [ 5 ]
medium well 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
well done, for i am a fucking troglodyte 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 28
 Post subject: Re: HOW do you EAT your MEAT?
PostPosted: Sun March 19, 2017 10:40 pm 
The Master

This is why I can never cook them properly. It's so complicated!

PostPosted: Sun March 19, 2017 10:42 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Have you tried pressing down on them to feel their firmness?

Ramsay shows how in this video

PostPosted: Sun March 19, 2017 11:37 pm 
Poster of the Year

wease wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I can never get them cooked right. It's either too raw or too done. I just pan fry them in butter and I cannot for the life of me get it down.

To do it in the pan, you really need to use something with a higher smoke point so you can really crank up the heat in the pan. Butter burns too quickly to be used. However, you can still use butter as a baster after cooking is thru.

Here's what I do:

Heat your pan (preferably cast iron) on high heat. Make sure it sets there a good while and gets really hot. Also, preheat you oven to its highest temp but not broil. When your pan gets up to temp season your meat and put a small amount of oil in the pan. Sear both sides of the meat for 2-3 minutes on each side until you get a nice crust. After the stove top, pop in the oven for a few minutes, probably 3-4, to complete cooking. While in the oven, prepare your herb butter in a seperate skillet. Get rosemary and thyme and butter and melt over medium heat. Let it start fizzling and really get those herbs cooking in there. Now, put your meat in that skillet and just start basting with a spoon for a few minutes. Just over and over and over again. After basting set steak on a plate and don't touch it for at least 5 minutes but 10 is better. After that slice and enjoy.

I cook rib eyes in a cast iron skillet using butter all the time and they come out perfect. 4-4.5 minutes per side and they're done.

PostPosted: Mon March 20, 2017 12:06 am 
Production Police

cutuphalfdead wrote:
wease wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:
I can never get them cooked right. It's either too raw or too done. I just pan fry them in butter and I cannot for the life of me get it down.

To do it in the pan, you really need to use something with a higher smoke point so you can really crank up the heat in the pan. Butter burns too quickly to be used. However, you can still use butter as a baster after cooking is thru.

Here's what I do:

Heat your pan (preferably cast iron) on high heat. Make sure it sets there a good while and gets really hot. Also, preheat you oven to its highest temp but not broil. When your pan gets up to temp season your meat and put a small amount of oil in the pan. Sear both sides of the meat for 2-3 minutes on each side until you get a nice crust. After the stove top, pop in the oven for a few minutes, probably 3-4, to complete cooking. While in the oven, prepare your herb butter in a seperate skillet. Get rosemary and thyme and butter and melt over medium heat. Let it start fizzling and really get those herbs cooking in there. Now, put your meat in that skillet and just start basting with a spoon for a few minutes. Just over and over and over again. After basting set steak on a plate and don't touch it for at least 5 minutes but 10 is better. After that slice and enjoy.

I cook rib eyes in a cast iron skillet using butter all the time and they come out perfect. 4-4.5 minutes per side and they're done.

:thumbsup: Wease, I think you're getting your pan too hot for your butter. It's good for a sear, or as you stated, an oil (I'd avoid olive oil) and you could even add butter at the end of your oil cook for a quick coating of flavor. But I'm team chud on this one...

LV, I'll here's an alternate simple recipe that I'd bet my cooking rep on:

1. Get a cast iron pan

2. Pick a fresh cut of hanger steak, flat-iron steak, or flank steak. Look for one with good marbling -- the distribution of the fat throughout the cut should look relatively even.

3. Get some butter, salt, pepper, and a couple sprigs of fresh rosemary.

4. Get your cast iron pan heated to about a 6.5 on the dial for your burner. Wait for it to heat up.

5. While the pan is heating, pat your steaks very dry with paper towels. Once dry, season both sides liberally with salt and fresh-cracked pepper.

6. Once your pan's hot, add the butter, the steaks, and the rosemary sprigs to the pan. Let the steaks cook for five mins, while you continually spread the herb-butter mixture over the top. RESIST THE URGE TO MOVE THE STEAKS WHILE THEY COOK. After five mins, flip them for another four mins. Continue basting.

7. Pull the steaks off the pan, set them on a cutting board or plate. Build a little tinfoil tent over them (not actually touching the steaks) that will allow them to cool for ten mins, but leave the tent open a little bit to provide some circulation (this will take steam out).

8. After they've cooled for ten mins, slice cross-wise and serve.

PostPosted: Mon March 20, 2017 12:09 am 
The Master

What's the purpose of patting them dry?

PostPosted: Mon March 20, 2017 12:12 am 
Production Police

It's good for any meat you want to sear. If you don't remove the excess moisture, it just creates steam which prevents good browning to the flesh. Read a little about the Maillard reaction: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction

PostPosted: Mon March 20, 2017 12:46 am 
Major Dude

cutuphalfdead wrote:
wease wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Here's what I do:

Hmmm. How hot do you get your pan? My butter always ended up burning.

PostPosted: Mon March 20, 2017 12:54 am 
Poster of the Year

wease wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
wease wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Here's what I do:

Hmmm. How hot do you get your pan? My butter always ended up burning.

I melt it on a high heat. Once the butter is all melted and bubbling, but hasn't burnt yet, I throw the steaks on.

PostPosted: Mon March 20, 2017 12:59 am 
Major Dude

tragabigzanda wrote:
cutuphalfdead wrote:
wease wrote:
LoathedVermin72 wrote:

Here's what I do:

:thumbsup: Wease, I think you're getting your pan too hot for your butter. It's good for a sear, or as you stated, an oil (I'd avoid olive oil) and you could even add butter at the end of your oil cook for a quick coating of flavor. But I'm team chud on this one...

5. While the pan is heating, pat your steaks very dry with paper towels. Once dry, season both sides liberally with salt and fresh-cracked pepper.

This is a SUPER important step. Good catch Trag.

PostPosted: Wed April 19, 2017 10:48 pm 
The Master

About to try trag's steak method. But my wife wants her's well done and it's fucking up my whole shit.

PostPosted: Wed April 19, 2017 11:02 pm 
Production Police

Get a second pan (doesn't have to be cast-iron). Set that one to much lower, maybe about a 4-5 on your dial. Prepare your wife's steak as instructed above, then when it's done, move it over to the lower pan (add more butter first) and hold it there while you then cook your own steak. Let me know how this works out.

PostPosted: Wed April 19, 2017 11:10 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

mmmm..well done steak

PostPosted: Wed April 19, 2017 11:17 pm 
The Master

Mine was way overdone. As always. Goddammit.

PostPosted: Wed April 19, 2017 11:22 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

this makes me sad

PostPosted: Wed April 19, 2017 11:24 pm 
Poster of the Year

you're a failure, jordan

PostPosted: Wed April 19, 2017 11:27 pm 
The Master

It's true

PostPosted: Wed April 19, 2017 11:30 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

was your wife's overdone too?

PostPosted: Wed April 19, 2017 11:34 pm 
The Master

doug rr wrote:
was your wife's overdone too?

Only as overdone as she likes it. She has terrible taste in steak.

PostPosted: Wed April 19, 2017 11:37 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

what cut of steak was it? how thick? how much fat?

PostPosted: Wed April 19, 2017 11:44 pm 
The Master

I'd say not thick enough and not fatty enough.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining