The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 125  Next
 Post subject: Re: Post Random Food-Related Thoughts You Have
PostPosted: Fri November 16, 2018 7:25 pm 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

Curious to get Trag's (and other foodie RMers') thoughts on this piece / phenomenon

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/portland/ ... rger-quest

PostPosted: Fri November 16, 2018 7:43 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

great read, thanks for that..I'll have to comment later

PostPosted: Fri November 16, 2018 8:03 pm 
Production Police

The piece itself is garbage. It's Meta-Journalism Lite, with the added negative of positioning the author as more intelligent than his subject, and more self-aware than every other listicle author on the internet. And this passage is particularly painful:

Quote:
Have you ever stared at an elderly woman with weepy eyes and arthritic hips walking her dog down your street and felt irrational pangs of jealousy because you knew she didn’t have to make a stressful phone call that day?

No, you cynical asshole, I've never done this. And later he inflates his own importance, but then immediately tries to backpedal on it while simultaneously offering some folksy wisdom:

Quote:
And that fact is the thing I can’t quite get past. That a decision I made for a list I put on the internet has impacted a family business and forever altered its future. That I have changed family dynamics and relationships. And it could very easily happen again.

[...]

I understand there are larger forces involving tourism and technology and society writ large at play here, and I’m not enough of a hypocrite to turn this into a morality play about the internet and the consequences of our actions, but maybe if we were all as kind to each other as Steve Stanich has been to me, we might just survive this apocalyptic puddle of shit we currently find ourselves in.

Painful.

As for the broader narrative -- that of our converging love affairs with foodie culture, listicles, and social media -- the phenomenon is in essence no different than the Zagat's and Fodor's lists of yore, but with the modern elements of click-sharing and compulsory travel eating ("Hey, let's google 'best burger in Portland' and then go eat that burger right away!"). And I'll grant that this passage is insightful:

Quote:
They were there to check off a thing on a list, and put it on Instagram. They weren’t invested in the restaurant’s success, but instead in having a public facing opinion of a well known place. In other words, they had nothing to lose except money and the restaurant had nothing to gain except money, and that made the entire situation feel both precarious and a little gross.

Yes, this is pretty common now, and it's sad. It's also precisely why the wife and I have given up on chasing down all the popular restaurants while traveling to a given place. We're much more interested in places much like Stanich's, not because it made the top spot on a list, but because the ethos pre-dates the modern foodie trends, and offers something affordable and yummy.

Steven Stanich is aware of his options for the restaurant's survival: He'll either have to partner with a financial backer, or franchise. Either one is viable, but taking the author's description of Stanich at face value, I'd say Stanich's own worst enemy is himself; it sounds like he'll talk himself to death long before he irons out the terms of a favorable partnership deal.

Our food system is inherently broken, and every successful restaurant carries with it a host of ethical concerns. Is it good for Stanich's to continue to thrive if they're offering antibiotic-laden beef, or not paying their workers fairly? And for more in vogue restaurants with a higher price point, like Reed's vacation dining target of Roberta's in Brooklyn, are the premiums paid for prime real estate and farm-to-table produce indicative of the growing economic disparity? I'd say yes.

Expensive places with top-shelf ingredients and cutting-edge techniques will always have a market. I'm way more interested in cheap eats that taste great and endeavor to protect the environment, and value the lives of both the animals and agricultural laborers in the supply chain.

If Stanich's is down for the count, so be it; there are a million other places just like it, and as has already been mentioned, he has options for the restaurant's continued operations. A sudden flow of social media-driven foot traffic should neither make nor break a good family restaurant; I've worked in kitchens that were the size of my bedroom, but that put out world class food night after night. Determination and problem solving are the real keys to success in the food industry, plus a little luck. Stanich doesn't seem too interested in either of those things, and the author claims and undue amount of ownership over the outcome of a restaurant that has been operating since the 1940s.

PostPosted: Sun November 18, 2018 3:28 am 
Looks Like a Cat

We drove 22 miles into the country around Farmington. There were meadows and apple orchards. White fences trailed through the rolling fields. Soon the sign started appearing. THE MOST PHOTOGRAPHED BARN IN AMERICA. We counted five signs before we reached the site. There were 40 cars and a tour bus in the makeshift lot. We walked along a cowpath to the slightly elevated spot set aside for viewing and photographing. All the people had cameras; some had tripods, telephoto lenses, filter kits. A man in a booth sold postcards and slides -- pictures of the barn taken from the elevated spot. We stood near a grove of trees and watched the photographers. Murray maintained a prolonged silence, occasionally scrawling some notes in a little book.

"No one sees the barn," he said finally.

A long silence followed.

"Once you've seen the signs about the barn, it becomes impossible to see the barn."

He fell silent once more. People with cameras left the elevated site, replaced by others.

We're not here to capture an image, we're here to maintain one. Every photograph reinforces the aura. Can you feel it, Jack? An accumulation of nameless energies."

There was an extended silence. The man in the booth sold postcards and slides.

"Being here is a kind of spiritual surrender. We see only what the others see. The thousands who were here in the past, those who will come in the future. We've agreed to be part of a collective perception. It literally colors our vision. A religious experience in a way, like all tourism."

Another silence ensued.

"They are taking pictures of taking pictures," he said.”

PostPosted: Sun November 18, 2018 3:52 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

agreed, foodies ruin everything

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Sun November 18, 2018 4:21 am 
The Master

the stanich's thing is on stanich, as business man. endless restaurants have endured the foodie spotlight and continued to thrive.

PostPosted: Sun November 18, 2018 4:24 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

they guy didn't need to also rank stanich's parents graves as the best in america too though

it just set an unrealistic expectation

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Thu November 29, 2018 1:48 am 
NYUCK NYUCK NYUCK

theplatypus wrote:
Curious to get Trag's (and other foodie RMers') thoughts on this piece / phenomenon

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/portland/ ... rger-quest

A follow-up to this.

https://www.wweek.com/news/2018/11/28/d ... -troubles/

Turns out that while I'm sure the sudden new attention was a factor, juuust maybe the owner of the place was also a flagrant horrorshow. The original food writer claims to have been unaware, and in the piece only vaguely alluded to "personal problems."

"On April 18, 2014, Stanich was arrested for choking his then-wife in front of their then-teenage son at their home in Northeast Portland.
Documents show his wife, then 57, had been a manager at Stanich's for 19 years before being diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer.

"Stanich pleaded no contest to charges of misdemeanor harassment and strangulation, and was sentenced to four years of probation.

"He was prohibited from owning a gun or contacting his wife. He was required to undergo treatment for his drinking, barred from consuming alcohol and, in a stiff prohibition for a bar owner, prohibited from entering establishments that primarily serve alcohol, except for work."

And it goes on from there.

PostPosted: Tue December 04, 2018 7:16 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

http://www.grubstreet.com/2018/12/mille ... -tuna.html

I buy the trader joe albacore in oil...

PostPosted: Tue December 11, 2018 5:51 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

good read

http://www.grubstreet.com/2018/12/mario ... atali.html

PostPosted: Tue December 11, 2018 10:24 am 
Production Police

that was great, thanks doug

PostPosted: Tue December 11, 2018 2:17 pm 
Major Dude

Great article. Thanks for the link, Doug.

Mrs Wease and I have been making our way thru past seasons of Masterchef, and I never realized that Joe was Mario’s partner.

PostPosted: Tue December 11, 2018 7:11 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

we should have a food articles thread i guess..

https://www.eater.com/2018/12/11/181360 ... e-nebraska

PostPosted: Tue December 11, 2018 7:13 pm 
Production Police

i started one already i think

also, "cage free" doesn't mean shit. "Free Range" and "Without Antibiotics" only.

PostPosted: Tue December 11, 2018 7:16 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i only barely searched..

PostPosted: Sun December 16, 2018 6:32 am 
Looks Like a Cat

I realize now that when people in Houston say "NYC bagels are better" they really just mean that they are easier and quicker to get on a daily basis in New York.

PostPosted: Sun December 16, 2018 2:36 pm 
Production Police

No. You probably just didn’t have a great NYC bagel. You’ll have to go back.

PostPosted: Sun December 16, 2018 3:00 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

i have never had a bagel in houston and would be shocked if there aren’t high quality purveyors at this point

but ess a bagel

but Montreal bagels are better than all

PostPosted: Sun December 16, 2018 3:03 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

and it’s not like you just walk into any place in NY and ask for a bagel and they are great

there are plenty of shitty bagels in new york city

PostPosted: Sun December 16, 2018 3:52 pm 
Production Police

96583UP wrote:
and it’s not like you just walk into any place in NY and ask for a bagel and they are great

there are plenty of shitty bagels in new york city

Yes shitty bagels exist in NYC. But the best ones are undoubtedly there. It’s the combination of the technological know-how and the Catskills water supply.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 125  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining