Switch to full style
Mmmm...sacrilicious...
Post a reply

Re: Must try food spots in Chicago and Boston?

Sun July 03, 2016 4:28 am

Wahlburgers

Sun July 03, 2016 8:15 pm

Plenty of Chicago suggestions here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=6060

Mon July 04, 2016 8:46 pm

you will put on 5-10 pounds while visiting chicago.

Mon July 04, 2016 10:00 pm

Boston:

Craigie On Main
Kirkland Tap & Trotter
Oleana
The Table at Seasons To Taste
Puritan & Co
Island Creek Oyster Bar
Sofra (brunch)

And if you're looking for a good, cheap bite at 2am, you should do Falafel Palace in Central Sq.

And if you're willing to drive 45 mins-1 hour, dinner at The Market in Gloucester is an experience.

Tue July 05, 2016 4:29 pm

I've never been to any of those places.

Tue July 05, 2016 5:10 pm

lol

Tue July 05, 2016 5:18 pm

I'm sure that's the case with a lot of towns. If someone asks me about restaurants in Austin it's going to be all taco trucks, southern food, and late night stuff, but that's what I like to eat as a local.

Tue July 05, 2016 5:45 pm

nah, chud just ain't got no culture

Tue July 05, 2016 5:47 pm

In chud's defense, all of those places that trag listed have annoying, borderline pretentious names except for one. So I probably wouldn't eat there either. Man I love food but I really hate the foodie culture.

Tue July 05, 2016 5:50 pm

E.H. Ruddock wrote: all of those places that trag listed have annoying, borderline pretentious names except for one.

Island Creek Oyster Bar?

Tue July 05, 2016 5:54 pm

Dunkin Donuts in Boston if you can find one.

Tue July 05, 2016 5:56 pm

The Argonaut wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote: all of those places that trag listed have annoying, borderline pretentious names except for one.

Island Creek Oyster Bar?

Yes.

I was joking to make my point about foodie culture. I'm sure all of those places are very good.

Wed July 06, 2016 2:19 am

Shaw's Crab House is the best oyster bar I've ever been to. The best variety and freshest oysters I've ever had.

Fri July 08, 2016 12:54 pm

Chicago sucks.

Fri July 08, 2016 10:39 pm

E.H. Ruddock wrote:In chud's defense, all of those places that trag listed have annoying, borderline pretentious names except for one. So I probably wouldn't eat there either. Man I love food but I really hate the foodie culture.

I am not a fan of places where people are photographing their food.

I really just want good local beers and burgers. I don't need glazed truffle reduction on everything.

Sat July 09, 2016 12:41 am

Wendy Carlos's Twin wrote:Chicago sucks.

you must live in new york

Sat July 09, 2016 1:15 am

Bi_3 wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:In chud's defense, all of those places that trag listed have annoying, borderline pretentious names except for one. So I probably wouldn't eat there either. Man I love food but I really hate the foodie culture.

I am not a fan of places where people are photographing their food.

I really just want good local beers and burgers. I don't need glazed truffle reduction on everything.

Wanted to chime in on this earlier, just finding time now...

I agree with the above sentiments. I worked in some of the places I listed, and many of them are staffed by dear friend and talented crew. I think the most exciting food going right now (within the US, anyway) is really primo cheap eats. There's a place in Seattle called NUE that was a recent highlight -- fantastic execution of street food from around the Pacific, served super low-maintenance in a casual setting. And I had a $5 short rib empanada in NYC that rocked my world.

I did the foodie thing very seriously for a long time. But eventually 10 straight courses of animal product began to feel not just gluttonous, but it actually made me vomit.

Lots of the places I listed do have pretentious names, but they're not all pretentious in execution. The Market is the low-key standout. In Boston/Cambridge, I'd either do Kirkland or Island Creek.

Sat July 09, 2016 3:59 pm

Chicago: Lou Malnatis..subway

Re: Dining While Travelling

Thu August 04, 2016 3:42 am

Tried an item from Man v Food today. 2 fried chicken breasts, bacon, eggs on 2 biscuits served over mashed potatoes. I ate almost all of the chicken, bacon and egg. But only 1 biscuit. About 75% of the mashed potatoes.

Re: Dining While Travelling

Thu August 04, 2016 2:39 pm

CopperTom wrote:Tried an item from Man v Food today. 2 fried chicken breasts, bacon, eggs on 2 biscuits served over mashed potatoes. I ate almost all of the chicken, bacon and egg. But only 1 biscuit. About 75% of the mashed potatoes.

Adam Richman wrote:"Today, in the eternal battle of man versus food... Man took an asskicking!"
Post a reply