The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 781 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: Whisky, Whiskey, Scotch, Bourbon
PostPosted: Sun June 09, 2013 5:17 pm 
Future Drummer

Good rye besides Bulleit? Everything at the last store I went to was either cheap/boring or ridiculously expensive.

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2013 12:21 am 
Rank This Poster

Have you tried High West Double Rye?

There are a lot of new eyes coming out. I didn't like Rittenhouse. You could try the Beam

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2013 12:35 am 
Rank This Poster

oasisfan35 wrote:
Electromatic wrote:
Orpheus wrote:
I tried some Laphroaig 18 the other day. Fuck me it was intense. I enjoyed it for what it was but I don't think scotch is my thing, I'll stick to bourbon and whiskey.

Don't judge scotch based on Laphroaig and Lagavullin or any Island scotch really. Well, Oban is teriffically drinkable. Laphroaig and Lagavullin are extrordinarily intense.

If you like Bourbon, I think you will very much like a good highland scotch especially Macallan. It's got everything I love about whisky but it's a milder drink than most american whiskeys.

Laphroaig 18 has nothing on the 15, which is pretty hard to come by now. Oban was the first whisky I ordered and said, fuck I gotta drink this now. To each their own.

Highlands will always be the non-peat fan's drink of choice, with many to choose from it just makes sense. If you feel a sense of taste for the peat/smoke end of scotch Bunnahabhain and Bruichladdich are fair places to start from Islay, Caol Ila if you like what you taste to move on.

Just poured myself a snort of Talisker 25 and I should kick my own ass for not enjoying scotch more recently.

I'm a big fan of peaty and smokey myself. Caol Ila is on my list to try. I love Laphroaig 10 generally and have a bit left of some quarter cask, I just think island scotch for the most part differs so much from highland scotch I didn't want anyone to stop at Islay or Jura and quit there.

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2013 1:53 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

What do y'all think of Glenfiddich? I had some 18yr old, and my oh my, I sure did enjoy it.

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2013 2:10 pm 
Rank This Poster

darth_vedder wrote:
What do y'all think of Glenfiddich? I had some 18yr old, and my oh my, I sure did enjoy it.

Never had the 18 only the 12. It was kind of meh for me. I like Glenlivet Nadurra better.

PostPosted: Mon June 10, 2013 2:15 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

re: Laphroaig. Damn, that stuff is STRONG. First time I had it, it was just too much for me. I've had a few other times since, and while I still am not too crazy about it, I can handle it much better. The Highland Park 15yr is more of my bag. I'm still pretty new with Scotch though, and that's probably why I like Glenfiddich so much. I've had the 12yr, 15yr, and 18yr, and really enjoyed all.

PostPosted: Mon August 12, 2013 1:26 am 
Future Drummer

Wife got me a bottle of Distiller's Edition Lagavulin, Distilled '96 Bottled '12, and it is infinitely better than the last DE I had seven or so years ago; compared to the other gifts I still have this one is going far too quick.

I'll add, Lagavulin 16 won the Malt Maniacs 2012 Best Peated Whisky and I can often get lost here.

PostPosted: Mon August 12, 2013 4:15 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Orpheus wrote:
Good rye besides Bulleit? Everything at the last store I went to was either cheap/boring or ridiculously expensive.

It might be on the pricey side because it's so trendy right now, but Templeton is awesome. And deserves the price tag.

PostPosted: Mon August 12, 2013 4:15 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

Laphroaig is one of my favorites.

PostPosted: Mon August 12, 2013 8:57 am 
10Club Complaint Department

I've had and enjoyed these good whisk(e)ys:

PostPosted: Tue August 13, 2013 3:17 am 
Legacy of Love
 WWW  Profile

A salesman at a local liquor store really pissed me off once about Bushmills. So I tend to avoid it. But, yeah, it's actually good stuff. Black label and up.

PostPosted: Wed August 14, 2013 12:10 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

durdencommatyler wrote:
A salesman at a local liquor store really pissed me off once about Bushmills. So I tend to avoid it. But, yeah, it's actually good stuff. Black label and up.

did he give you that rant about bushmills being protestant and jamesons being catholic?

PostPosted: Sat November 23, 2013 2:46 am 
Mind Your Tanners

makers mark. that's all.

PostPosted: Sun November 24, 2013 8:53 pm 
Rank This Poster

Guys Jeffersons is really nice rye.

PostPosted: Wed November 27, 2013 4:27 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

have any of you scotch lovers tried ardbeg? after enjoying lagavulin 16, caol ila 12, and laphroaig (the quarter cask and cask strength), i'd like to continue the survey of islay. i hear the uigeadail is a special one.

PostPosted: Wed November 27, 2013 6:24 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Alex wrote:
have any of you scotch lovers tried ardbeg? after enjoying lagavulin 16, caol ila 12, and laphroaig (the quarter cask and cask strength), i'd like to continue the survey of islay. i hear the uigeadail is a special one.

love love love ardbeg..always have one on hand as it's my wife's go to..just get the 10 year

PostPosted: Wed November 27, 2013 7:19 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

doug rr wrote:
Alex wrote:

love love love ardbeg..always have one on hand as it's my wife's go to..just get the 10 year

how peaty is that bad larry? i tend to gravitate to laphroaig-level peat.

PostPosted: Wed November 27, 2013 7:25 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Alex wrote:
doug rr wrote:
Alex wrote:

how peaty is that bad larry? i tend to gravitate to laphroaig-level peat.

Having a glass of Arbeg 10 year old in your living room is like building a bonfire made up of tree branches, scrub brush and peat freshly cut from a Scottish bog, lighting it and watching the smoke swirl upwards as it is carried away by the unpredictable winds of the Isle of Islay, Scotland. The smoke at times will fill your nostrils followed by the peat, charcoal and a whiff of salty sea spray. Ardbeg 10 year old is uncompromising like a lazy wind blowing off the coast of the Isle of Islay. It's so cold and 'lazy' that it feels like it blows through you rather than around you. Such is the experience of a dram of this single malt scotch whisky.

PostPosted: Wed November 27, 2013 7:34 pm 
post-structuralist

the longest post d rr has ever made, folks!

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Wed November 27, 2013 7:35 pm 
Mind Your Tanners

malice wrote:
the longest post d rr has ever made, folks!

he just got fired.

let him have this, malice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 781 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 40  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining