The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: a couple christmas cookie recipes
PostPosted: Sun December 14, 2014 1:32 am 
post-structuralist

viennese crescents

1 C butter (2 sticks)
3/4 C sugar
1 and 1/2 Tsp vanilla
2 and 1/2 C sifted flour
1 C ground walnuts
confectioner's sugar

Preheat oven to 350

in mixing bowl cream butter
gradually add sugar and vanilla, beat until light and fluffy (electric mixer works well)
blend in flour and nuts (I add nuts afterwards, but either works)
chill dough for each in handling - at least 1 hour
form one Tsp of dough into crescent shape and place on baking sheet
bake 12-15 minutes until golden brown - don't over cook, dough should look mostly raw still, bottom should be light golden brown
remove from baking sheet and roll in confectioner's sugar
place on wire rack to cool
yield approx 10 dozen

--------------------------------------------------------------

toffee squares

1/2 lb margarine (2 sticks)
1 C brown sugar
1 egg yolk
2 C sifted flour
1 Tsp vanilla
1 bag chocolate chips (12 oz bag)
nonpareils (pic below)

preheat oven to 350

cream margarine and sugar
blend in egg yolk
add flour (gradually) and vanilla
beat until smooth and spread in 9X13 inch pan
bake for 20 minutes

melt chocolate chips - microwaving at 30 second intervals works well - should be like frosting (don't over do it, chocolate will seize up otherwise) do this just before dough is finished baking

WHILE DOUGH STILL HOT, cover with melted chocolate chips - spreading like frosting in even layer
add nonpareils
when cool cut into squares
nonpareils :

toffee squares with m&ms instead of nonpareils:

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

Post subject: Re: a couple christmas cookie recipes
PostPosted: Sun December 14, 2014 1:32 am 
post-structuralist

in case tommy actually wanted to try these, or anyone I guess.

people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

PostPosted: Sun December 14, 2014 1:41 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

I may try the toffee squares but with non pareils

PostPosted: Sun December 14, 2014 1:49 am 
post-structuralist

they're easy and i only use the nonpareils.

only tricky part is melting the chocolate - you can use a double boiler, of course, but almost no one has those anymore.

PostPosted: Sun December 14, 2014 2:11 am 
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?

malice wrote:
they're easy and i only use the nonpareils.

only tricky part is melting the chocolate - you can use a double boiler, of course, but almost no one has those anymore.

We absolutely have a double boiler.

PostPosted: Sun December 14, 2014 2:14 am 
Posting (live)

When I was a kid I used to make Xmas chocolates and decorate them. I used an electric frying pan as a Bain-marie with glass bowls for the chocolate. It was a great way to eat lots of chocolate as my mum was keen on a cooking activity.

btw these look good. I may have to make one of these. I'd have to use almond instead of walnut for the viennese crescents (nut allergy in the house).

I might also do the ginger snaps with blueberry icing that we've done a few times.

PostPosted: Sun December 14, 2014 10:19 am 
F.U.B.A.R
 WWW  Profile

I'm glad you put these back. Thanks Mary. :peace:

PostPosted: Sun December 14, 2014 10:23 am 
AnalLog

LetMeSleep wrote:

btw these look good. I may have to make one of these. I'd have to use almond instead of walnut for the viennese crescents (nut allergy in the house).

Almonds are a perfectly suitable substitute for walnuts in that recipe.

PostPosted: Sun December 14, 2014 3:08 pm 
post-structuralist

almonds should be fine according to my sister. she also suggests trying almond extract rather than vanilla extract in that case as well which would probably make great tasting batter to go along with the almonds.

PostPosted: Sun December 14, 2014 3:14 pm 
Rank This Poster

Skinny chicks can bake? :?

PostPosted: Sun December 14, 2014 3:15 pm 
post-structuralist

Sgt. Crackpot wrote:
I'm glad you put these back. Thanks Mary. :peace:

meh, I was just in a bitchy mood (shocking!)

Christmas cookies are probably one of only a few things about the holidays I still really enjoy anymore . it's very sentimental to make cookies you had as a kid at Christmas, so that's nice.

also, sorry pete. I'm a jerk

PostPosted: Sun December 14, 2014 3:19 pm 
post-structuralist

BigRedLedbetter wrote:

is this supposed to be funny? I sincerely can't tell. what does fat have to do with ability?

otherwise I'd say fail on your part if joking. you might make cookies with your daughter for Christmas instead. seems a better use of your time, yeah?

PostPosted: Sun December 14, 2014 3:23 pm 
Rank This Poster

I think I'm going to try to make the crescents next weekend. I'm not much of a baker, so we'll see how it goes.

PostPosted: Sun December 14, 2014 3:32 pm 
Rank This Poster

malice wrote:
BigRedLedbetter wrote:

is this supposed to be funny? I sincerely can't tell. what does fat have to do with ability?

otherwise I'd say fail on your part if joking. you might make cookies with your daughter for Christmas instead. seems a better use of your time, yeah?

In the last pic it says that. Maybe read it?

No sure what your issue is but you should relax. Looks like your mood is still bitchy, yeah?

PostPosted: Sun December 14, 2014 3:45 pm 
post-structuralist

tommymtcom wrote:
I think I'm going to try to make the crescents next weekend. I'm not much of a baker, so we'll see how it goes.

shape the crescent against your thumb, if that makes sense.

PostPosted: Sun December 14, 2014 3:53 pm 
post-structuralist

BigRedLedbetter wrote:
malice wrote:
BigRedLedbetter wrote:

No sure what your issue is but you should relax. Looks like your mood is still bitchy, yeah?

seeing how I posted the pic, yeah I know what the caption says, it doesn't excuse your commentary.

my mood is good, thanks for asking. your attitude about women who aren't your daughter, however is for sh#t friend. :D
that would be my issue so you don't need to ask again next time. I figure eventually you'll just get tired of my questioning each dumb ass backwards bullshit comment you make in reference to women and just, you know, refrain. but then I tend to have high expectations of people in general so

PostPosted: Sun December 14, 2014 4:13 pm 
Rank This Poster

malice wrote:
BigRedLedbetter wrote:
malice wrote:
BigRedLedbetter wrote:

seeing how I posted the pic, yeah I know what the caption says, it doesn't excuse your commentary.

my mood is good, thanks for asking. your attitude about women who aren't your daughter, however is for sh#t friend. :D
that would be my issue so you don't need to ask again next time. I figure eventually you'll just get tired of my questioning each dumb ass backwards bullshit comment you make in reference to women and just, you know, refrain. but then I tend to have high expectations of people in general so

Well, I have never met a skinny girl who can bake well. It's not a knock at all. I have never seen a million dollars in person. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Maybe don't be so sensitive? My comment was not directed AT YOU. Get over yourself.

I will say what I want. If you don't like it that is your problem. Respond if you want or don't. Question what you want but I think the problem is your perception of what I'm saying. Let's not shit ourselves....you don't know me from Adam and vice versa.

I love how you think you know my attitude toward anything from a few posts on an anonymous message board. That is downright comical. I respect everyone or don't on a case by case basis. There are plenty of males I have a bad attitude toward.

If you have such high expectations of people maybe you shouldn't be so uncivil and naive and assume you know people you don't? Maybe you'd get treated better in the process? You give what you get, ya know?

Also, please don't call me friend. No excuse for that. I have nothing against you and we can call it a wash from this point forward. Otherwise maybe you should just ignore me. If you don't want to for whatever reason try and be a little less obtuse.

PostPosted: Mon December 15, 2014 3:35 am 
post-structuralist

made ginger snaps and peanut butter cookies today, and will be frosting sugar cookies near the end of the week for a family party (my sister's in laws).

all told I think there's something like 7 different types and around 300 cookies total?
-----------------------

oddly enough, i've been accused of being a lot of things in my life, and obtuse has never been one of them...

bigredwhatever - lessee - you talk about easy tang, big asses, skinny girls that can't bake and your favored positions for fucking... you're right I don't know fuck-all about you, man, because, you're really difficult to draw conclusions about based on your stated areas of interest... my mistake

PostPosted: Mon December 15, 2014 2:10 pm 

malice wrote:
made ginger snaps and peanut butter cookies today, and will be frosting sugar cookies near the end of the week for a family party (my sister's in laws).

all told I think there's something like 7 different types and around 300 cookies total?
-----------------------

oddly enough, i've been accused of being a lot of things in my life, and obtuse has never been one of them...

bigredwhatever - lessee - you talk about easy tang, big asses, skinny girls that can't bake and your favored positions for fucking... you're right I don't know fuck-all about you, man, because, you're really difficult to draw conclusions about based on your stated areas of interest... my mistake

Pete would have split this into two posts to up his post count.

PostPosted: Mon December 15, 2014 3:38 pm 
Misplaced My Sponge

bigredledbetter may be a chauvinist rube with an undeveloped sense of humor, but he does have one of the best avatars on RM. also, i like cookies.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining