Switch to full style
Mmmm...sacrilicious...
Post a reply

Re: The Coffee Appreciation Thread

Fri March 24, 2017 9:08 pm

LetMeSleep wrote:Ice cold filtered water put into the plunger with 1.5 times the usual coffee. Unplunged in fridge overnight.

I've changed my method.

Same amount of coffee as making normal hot coffee.
Add about 100ml hot water, wait ten minutes to cool then fill to top with cold filtered water
Put in fridge overnight.

I've found that hot water releases more taste then the cold water mellows it out, makes it a lovely rounded taste. If you use all hot and wait for it to cool it can be a bit bitter when had cold (although that is good for making coffee ice cubes when it's really hot).

Thu March 30, 2017 1:13 pm

I never did make that cold brew. Damnit. Something must have distracted me.

A dear friend went on a weekender to Chicago and brought me back a pound of a Dark Matter espresso called "Unicorn Blood." They sell a barrel aged coffee that I'm thinking about ordering. Has anyone ever tried a barrel aged coffee?

Thu March 30, 2017 2:46 pm

pepperwhiteMFC wrote:I never did make that cold brew. Damnit. Something must have distracted me.

A dear friend went on a weekender to Chicago and brought me back a pound of a Dark Matter espresso called "Unicorn Blood." They sell a barrel aged coffee that I'm thinking about ordering. Has anyone ever tried a barrel aged coffee?

I've tried bourbon-barrel aged a few times (4 Barrel, Caliber, and I think maybe Stumptown?). The aroma of the beans is magnificent; the actual flavor imparted by the barrel is very subtle.

Thu March 30, 2017 3:25 pm

tragabigzanda wrote:
pepperwhiteMFC wrote:I never did make that cold brew. Damnit. Something must have distracted me.

I've tried bourbon-barrel aged a few times (4 Barrel, Caliber, and I think maybe Stumptown?). The aroma of the beans is magnificent; the actual flavor imparted by the barrel is very subtle.

Cool. Now I want to have my favorite beans aged in a cherry chocolate stout barrel from my favorite brewery.

Sat April 01, 2017 2:02 am

Fellas, I'm thinking of cutting out my daily coffee intake and saving it for special occasions.

Mon April 03, 2017 6:56 pm

washing machine wrote:Fellas, I'm thinking of cutting out my daily coffee intake and saving it for special occasions.

like what, caffeine headaches?

Mon April 03, 2017 7:12 pm

washing machine wrote:Fellas, I'm thinking of cutting out my daily coffee intake and saving it for special occasions.

Have attempted to make this change several times. It's a pointless battle.

Mon April 03, 2017 11:58 pm

Death before decaf.

Wed August 02, 2017 3:37 pm

I think I've had coffee with breakfast for nearly my entire coffee drinking life. I've only recently discovered the peace and tranquility that having that first cup after breakfast brings. Maybe it's just the rain outside the window and a day off today that's giving me such good after breakfast vibes, but this is one fantastic grind. :shock:

Wed August 02, 2017 8:26 pm

I like coffee before breakfast, myself.

Thu August 03, 2017 4:52 pm

Haha. I actually made this post, eh? That sure was a stupid thing to say.

Wed September 13, 2017 7:32 pm

a new coffee shop opened up near my house last week..cool place, nice owner..we joined a $50 per month club that allows you 1 large drink per day..i'm hooked on the kombucha drafts

Wed September 13, 2017 8:10 pm

doug rr wrote:a new coffee shop opened up near my house last week..cool place, nice owner..we joined a $50 per month club that allows you 1 large drink per day..i'm hooked on the kombucha drafts

It would be nice if more places did that.

I did the math a few days ago, and I spend $80 to $100 a month on coffee.

Wed September 13, 2017 8:36 pm

run2death wrote:
doug rr wrote:a new coffee shop opened up near my house last week..cool place, nice owner..we joined a $50 per month club that allows you 1 large drink per day..i'm hooked on the kombucha drafts

It would be nice if more places did that.

I did the math a few days ago, and I spend $80 to $100 a month on coffee.

yeah, its a good deal. I don't even want to add up the monthly box of nespresso pods..

Fri October 13, 2017 2:23 pm

I've never had the nariño cold brew advertised on the menu at Starbucks. Every single time I order it, they're out. It's become sort of a joke on par with the ol' McDonald's broken ice cream machine. I'm becoming increasingly like Larry David when complaining about it and suggesting they add an "when available" tag under the menu. I'm sure they hate me here.

Fri October 13, 2017 2:24 pm

washing machine wrote:I've never had the nariño cold brew advertised on the menu at Starbucks. Every single time I order it, they're out. It's become sort of a joke on par with the ol' McDonald's broken ice cream machine. I'm becoming increasingly like Larry David when complaining about it and suggesting they add an "when available" tag under the menu. I'm sure they hate me here.

oh they do

Fri October 13, 2017 2:25 pm

washing machine wrote:I've never had the nariño cold brew advertised on the menu at Starbucks. Every single time I order it, they're out. It's become sort of a joke on par with the ol' McDonald's broken ice cream machine. I'm becoming increasingly like Larry David when complaining about it and suggesting they add an "when available" tag under the menu. I'm sure they hate me here.

I'm actually drinking one now. I'm not typically a coffee drinker, but these cold brews have gotten me intrigued. And the Narino is pretty decent.

Fri October 13, 2017 2:47 pm

E.H. Ruddock wrote:

I'm actually drinking one now. I'm not typically a coffee drinker, but these cold brews have gotten me intrigued. And the Narino is pretty decent.

This time around I was sure that I'd get one since I made a morning trip. Nope. Instead of too late I was too early. :gomez:

Fri October 13, 2017 2:49 pm

I don't even frequent this establishment, preferring a few favorite local spots instead. This nariño thing has got me on a mission, though. Well played, Starbucks. Well played.

Wed October 25, 2017 10:28 pm

I've been cheating on my coffee with Americanos.
Post a reply