The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 852 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 43  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Coffee Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Tue June 11, 2019 5:22 am 
mXn

washing machine wrote:
Enjoying a better than usual cortado at the moment, which reminds me...

Do you guys think it's weird when the barista puts your cortado in a to-go cup?

I don’t know what that is

PostPosted: Fri August 16, 2019 5:21 am 
Looks Like a Cat

I think I've finally found the right grind setting for loading my Yama tower. This is some seriously crack caffeine. Delicious, too!

PostPosted: Fri August 16, 2019 3:20 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

speaking of grind settings, it's amazing how the consistency of the beans varies. i use a built-in burr grinder in my espresso machine. i usually keep it to a specific setting, and it leads to perfect results for one roaster's beans. when i try another at the same setting, the ground coffee is overflowing the portafilter. another and it could stand another 2 seconds of grinding. and none of this is to mention the variances among the ways the water pressure influences the ground coffee from bean to bean (with some beans producing super thin, watery coffee and others producing viscous coffee).

PostPosted: Fri August 16, 2019 4:30 pm 
mXn

Love me some coffee :bammer:

PostPosted: Fri August 16, 2019 8:42 pm 
likes rhythmic things that butt up against each other

The cold brew with salted cold foam at the bux is pretty good. I’m heading over there for one right now.

PostPosted: Sat August 17, 2019 1:44 am 
Looks Like a Cat

Chris_H_2 wrote:
speaking of grind settings, it's amazing how the consistency of the beans varies. i use a built-in burr grinder in my espresso machine. i usually keep it to a specific setting, and it leads to perfect results for one roaster's beans. when i try another at the same setting, the ground coffee is overflowing the portafilter. another and it could stand another 2 seconds of grinding. and none of this is to mention the variances among the ways the water pressure influences the ground coffee from bean to bean (with some beans producing super thin, watery coffee and others producing viscous coffee).

This concept is maddening, but also fun. We had our settings down pat with the different beans back when I worked with an industrial grinder at a brunch spot. Then the night crew would screw it all up with their coffee cocktails.

PostPosted: Fri August 23, 2019 1:14 am 
The Master

Okay hi how is everyone? good.

I love espresso. I rather drink it everyday than anything else. For a couple years i had a Nespresso machine and i loved it. Great pull every single time. I started feeling bad about the pods and the money etc....

So i moved to a Delhongi. Roughly $100. It lasted for about 3 months before breaking. Returned, replaced, returned, replaced. A couple others broke along the way. I figured that unless im going to spend at least $500 on an espresso machine then it will most likely continue to break and be cheap.

So, im back to the nespresso.

However, any suggestions on a super solid home espresso machine? Or is there a drip carafe that you guys love or suggest?

PostPosted: Fri August 23, 2019 1:34 am 
Mind Your Tanners

I see what you're up to Strat.

PostPosted: Mon November 11, 2019 1:23 am 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

could use a few new bags to mix up the rotation

recommendations welcome

All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone

PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2019 6:06 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

So we never used our Keurig that much, preferring french press or my cold brew batches, but now that we're on the baby's time it's become a lot more convenient. I cleaned it out the other day and it almost ruined coffee for me ever again. I'd post a video of what I flushed out if I knew how. It wasn't pretty. Easily over 2 years worth of crud in there.

PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2019 6:10 pm 
Production Police

My belief is that if you want good espresso, either pay a ton of money to get a pro unit tied into your plumbing system, or enjoy the ritual of going out to your local coffee shop and interacting with your friendly barista. Fuck all that Nespresso / Keurig junk.

PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2019 6:14 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

96583UP wrote:

recommendations welcome

https://www.instacart.com/aldi/products ... uras-12-oz

These Honduran beans from Aldi are surprisingly good. You can find them for twice the price on ebay and that still comes out to something like $8 a bag before shipping and tax. I posted about them elsewhere and have no qualms from an ethical standpoint buying them, despite the low price tag and the easy availability. They are certified fair trade and that's good enough for me.

PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2019 6:42 pm 
Production Police

washing machine wrote:
96583UP wrote:

recommendations welcome

These Honduran beans from Aldi are surprisingly good. You can find them for twice the price on ebay and that still comes out to something like $8 a bag before shipping and tax. I posted about them elsewhere and have no qualms from an ethical standpoint buying them, despite the low price tag and the easy availability. They are certified fair trade and that's good enough for me.

We are committed to our local Ghost Town roaster's Velvet Hammer at this point. We make it in a Chemex. Just a great, full-bodied dark roast with some subtle bright notes:

https://www.gocoffeego.com/products/Gho ... -6330.html

PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2019 6:50 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

tragabigzanda wrote:
washing machine wrote:
96583UP wrote:

recommendations welcome

We are committed to our local Ghost Town roaster's Velvet Hammer at this point. We make it in a Chemex. Just a great, full-bodied dark roast with some subtle bright notes:

Notes: Chocolate, Meyer Lemon, Spice

Interesting.

PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2019 6:52 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

tragabigzanda wrote:
My belief is that if you want good espresso, either pay a ton of money to get a pro unit tied into your plumbing system, or enjoy the ritual of going out to your local coffee shop and interacting with your friendly barista. Fuck all that Nespresso / Keurig junk.

i don't think that you need a super expensive commercial unit. the one we have makes amazing espresso (of course it also depends on the quality of beans and water that you use).

PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2019 6:56 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

by the way, we use this roast almost exclusively:

https://counterculturecoffee.com/shop/coffee/forty-six

PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2019 6:59 pm 
Production Police

Chris_H_2 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

i don't think that you need a super expensive commercial unit. the one we have makes amazing espresso (of course it also depends on the quality of beans and water that you use).

I didn't know Breville made a machine, but I'll admit to being impressed by some of their other consumer kitchen stuff. This intrigues me.

PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2019 7:01 pm 
Production Police

washing machine wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
washing machine wrote:
96583UP wrote:

recommendations welcome

Notes: Chocolate, Meyer Lemon, Spice

Interesting.

:thumbsup: It's no show-stopper, but damned if it still doesn't taste great with just about everything after a year of steady use: Eggs, pancakes, smoothies, yogurt, huevos rancheros, dessert... It always goes perfect with whatever we're eating.

PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2019 7:30 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

tragabigzanda wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

I didn't know Breville made a machine, but I'll admit to being impressed by some of their other consumer kitchen stuff. This intrigues me.

so they have a $2500 version of one that essentially does all the same things as the we got, but it automatically tamps the coffee for you.

i personally like doing it myself, and don't think it's even remotely worth that price.

there's also a step down from the one we have, but it doesn't have the electronic interface/touch display. it is, however, the same machine, and is about $500.

i think i've posted here about our machine before. but without sounding hyperbolic, it's been a life changer and despite the money we spent (around $1000), we've saved that money by not spending $10 a day (between me and my wife) at our local coffee shops.

PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2019 8:14 pm 
NEVER STOP JAMMING!

Chris_H_2 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:

so they have a $2500 version of one that essentially does all the same things as the we got, but it automatically tamps the coffee for you.

i personally like doing it myself, and don't think it's even remotely worth that price.

there's also a step down from the one we have, but it doesn't have the electronic interface/touch display. it is, however, the same machine, and is about $500.

i think i've posted here about our machine before. but without sounding hyperbolic, it's been a life changer and despite the money we spent (around $1000), we've saved that money by not spending $10 a day (between me and my wife) at our local coffee shops.

can you stream disney + on those things?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 852 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 43  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining