The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 852 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 43  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Coffee Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Thu August 22, 2013 12:48 pm 
Broken Tamborine

http://www.bulletproofexec.com/category/coffee-2/

Does anyone drink Bulletproof Coffee? The recipe calls for Grass Fed Butter and MCT Oil to be added to your morning cup. Supposedly the combination of caffeine and fat wakes you up more than straight black coffee would on its own and comes along with a host of additional health benefits. I tried it this morning with espresso, Organic Valley butter and NOW brand MCT oil. It doesn't taste nearly as bad as I thought it would. Not really noticing the extra pick me up that Asprey claims. I didn't use his products though when making it. Anyone else ever try this? If so, what was your experience?

PostPosted: Thu August 22, 2013 2:12 pm 
Yeah Yeah Yeah

LooseGroove927 wrote:

Does anyone drink Bulletproof Coffee? The recipe calls for Grass Fed Butter and MCT Oil to be added to your morning cup. Supposedly the combination of caffeine and fat wakes you up more than straight black coffee would on its own and comes along with a host of additional health benefits. I tried it this morning with espresso, Organic Valley butter and NOW brand MCT oil. It doesn't taste nearly as bad as I thought it would. Not really noticing the extra pick me up that Asprey claims. I didn't use his products though when making it. Anyone else ever try this? If so, what was your experience?

I'd never heard of this before, so I checked out the website, and my skeptical radar is pinging. I'm far from always right, but when I see someone selling all the items they're praising and using buzzwords like "toxins" and "supercharge," not to mention losing weight without worrying about calories or exercise, I immediately wonder about its veracity.

I didn't look into it in-depth, so this is just my initial impression, and I could be wrong. I would certainly consult with a medical professional prior to implementing a diet with as many sweeping changes as this one.

Of course, this is the coffee thread, though, so to answer your question, no, I've never tried it. I like my coffee as near to calorie-free as possible (black as night, with maybe just a shot of espresso added for fun).

PostPosted: Thu August 22, 2013 2:31 pm 
Broken Tamborine

kahli sana wrote:
LooseGroove927 wrote:

I'd never heard of this before, so I checked out the website, and my skeptical radar is pinging. I'm far from always right, but when I see someone selling all the items they're praising and using buzzwords like "toxins" and "supercharge," not to mention losing weight without worrying about calories or exercise, I immediately wonder about its veracity.

I didn't look into it in-depth, so this is just my initial impression, and I could be wrong. I would certainly consult with a medical professional prior to implementing a diet with as many sweeping changes as this one.

Of course, this is the coffee thread, though, so to answer your question, no, I've never tried it. I like my coffee as near to calorie-free as possible (black as night, with maybe just a shot of espresso added for fun).

I had the same initial reaction that you did. Since discovering Tim Ferriss and his self experimentation a few years ago I've been intrigued by the whole biohacking movement. Asprey seems to back up his claims regarding his bulletproof coffee with scientific studies. I don't see myself buying his products, but I may try this out for a week or so to see if I notice anything. I prefer my cofee black as well, but the butter / MCT oil wasn't a terrible experience.

PostPosted: Thu August 29, 2013 9:14 pm 
Troglodyte
 WWW  Profile

PostPosted: Thu September 26, 2013 8:35 pm 
Future Drummer

I have to go shopping. I need a good coffee cup that I can call, "my" coffee cup.

Anyone else have their special cup? I'd love to see pictures if you have them.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu September 26, 2013 8:43 pm 
jeeeesus relax already

These are mine...new...

PostPosted: Thu September 26, 2013 8:47 pm 
Broken Tamborine

I have this mug.

PostPosted: Thu September 26, 2013 8:48 pm 
An enigma of a man shaped hole in the wall between reality and the soul of the devil.

I view coffee as little more than a calorie free caffeine delivery system.

“And truly, if life had no purpose, and I had to choose nonsense, this would be the most desirable nonsense for me as well."

PostPosted: Thu September 26, 2013 9:39 pm 
Future Drummer

Sarah. wrote:
I have this mug.

That looks like you have a pretty loud & in your face morning.

VinylGuy wrote:
These are mine...new...

Nice.

PostPosted: Sat September 28, 2013 4:42 pm 
Technical Overlord

BurtReynolds wrote:

This...
I normally let it cool down enough to chug and/or use my designated coffee silly straw.

PostPosted: Tue October 22, 2013 9:31 am 
Broken Tamborine

I have a Nespresso which I probably love more than I love my kids. The pods are pretty expensive though, even if you bulk buy the unbranded ones, so I was going to buy some refillable pods. We have some nice coffee places nearby who will roast and grind their house blends for you to take away. Anyone have any experience with the refillable pods? Am I going to screw up my machine? I nearly did when I was trying out different generic pods to see if I could find a cheaper (but still good) alternative to the branded ones.

PostPosted: Tue October 22, 2013 9:37 am 
Posting (live)

Sarah. wrote:
I have a Nespresso which I probably love more than I love my kids. The pods are pretty expensive though, even if you bulk buy the unbranded ones, so I was going to buy some refillable pods. We have some nice coffee places nearby who will roast and grind their house blends for you to take away. Anyone have any experience with the refillable pods? Am I going to screw up my machine? I nearly did when I was trying out different generic pods to see if I could find a cheaper (but still good) alternative to the branded ones.

No I haven't tried them yet but have been meaning to grab some. The generic pods are okay but not as good as the nespresso ones IMHO. I fear they'll wreck the machine too, I'm on my second machine in 5 years which isn't too bad. Our machine was the first thing unpacked from our sea shipped possessions.

PostPosted: Tue October 22, 2013 9:44 am 
Broken Tamborine

Most of the reviews seem to say that they don't build enough pressure in the machine. It means the coffee just isn't as good, even though it's way cheaper. I'd rather it be good tbh.
The main PITA with the branded pods is having to Mail order them. Sometimes I just want to pop out and buy some for the weekend.

PostPosted: Tue October 22, 2013 9:53 am 
Posting (live)

Sarah. wrote:
Most of the reviews seem to say that they don't build enough pressure in the machine. It means the coffee just isn't as good, even though it's way cheaper. I'd rather it be good tbh.
The main PITA with the branded pods is having to Mail order them. Sometimes I just want to pop out and buy some for the weekend.

yep and when you can buy cheaper pods you're less likely to fork out 100quid on coffee pods and delivery.

PostPosted: Sat October 26, 2013 2:46 am 
AnalLog

Wife just bought me a French press.

Oh yea.

PostPosted: Sun October 27, 2013 1:30 am 
AnalLog

Whitey McTeeth wrote:
BurtReynolds wrote:

This...
I normally let it cool down enough to chug and/or use my designated coffee silly straw.

Agree with this. I don't really care how it tastes, I just want to stop feeling like a zombie.

PostPosted: Sun October 27, 2013 1:36 am 
jeeeesus relax already

Sarah. wrote:

i love my nespresso, and i have been thinking the same...i still dont know if i should buy some of those refillable ones.
I might do it.

PostPosted: Sat December 28, 2013 6:51 pm 
Looks Like a Cat

Those are good looking mugs on this page. What do you guys look for in a mug? I like my mugs to hold no more than six ounces of hot coffee, have a thin lip, and a handle to mug ratio that's wide enough to slide two fingers completely through but not so wide that you can't rest your fingers on the side of the mug as you lift. I find that anything outside of those parameters either doesn't keep the coffee hot long enough or is just too cumbersome to sip from. As much as the television series Twin Peaks fetishized coffee, the RR Diner had terrible mugs:

PostPosted: Sat December 28, 2013 9:04 pm 
Poster of the Year

Gosh, I've never really thought about it that much.

PostPosted: Sat December 28, 2013 9:07 pm 
post-structuralist

i like mugs that hold coffee in them, reed :|
needing anything more specific is sign of having way too much time on your hands to sit and ponder about it. perhaps you could take up a hobby like bowling.

Spoiler: show
people change. people stay the same. people are so often disappointing - random PM, person unnamed

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 852 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 43  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining