The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 31  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: The Coffee Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Tue June 11, 2019 5:22 am 
Offline
User avatar
Not as great as you think
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 24, 2013 4:32 am
Posts: 20643
Location: Surrounded by Wokes. Please send help.
washing machine wrote:
Enjoying a better than usual cortado at the moment, which reminds me...

Do you guys think it's weird when the barista puts your cortado in a to-go cup?



I don’t know what that is

_________________
Maybe this will be the post that finally gets me banned.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Coffee Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Fri August 16, 2019 5:21 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 19330
Location: Space City
I think I've finally found the right grind setting for loading my Yama tower. This is some seriously crack caffeine. Delicious, too!

_________________
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Some of you need to be willing to open your palate up a little bit and stop thinking of things as gross.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Coffee Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Fri August 16, 2019 3:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 15140
Location: An office full of assholes
speaking of grind settings, it's amazing how the consistency of the beans varies. i use a built-in burr grinder in my espresso machine. i usually keep it to a specific setting, and it leads to perfect results for one roaster's beans. when i try another at the same setting, the ground coffee is overflowing the portafilter. another and it could stand another 2 seconds of grinding. and none of this is to mention the variances among the ways the water pressure influences the ground coffee from bean to bean (with some beans producing super thin, watery coffee and others producing viscous coffee).


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Coffee Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Fri August 16, 2019 4:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Not as great as you think
 Profile

Joined: Thu January 24, 2013 4:32 am
Posts: 20643
Location: Surrounded by Wokes. Please send help.
Love me some coffee :bammer:

_________________
Maybe this will be the post that finally gets me banned.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Coffee Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Fri August 16, 2019 8:42 pm 
Offline
Misplaced My Sponge
 Profile

Joined: Thu April 21, 2016 12:19 am
Posts: 6363
The cold brew with salted cold foam at the bux is pretty good. I’m heading over there for one right now.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Coffee Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Sat August 17, 2019 1:44 am 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 19330
Location: Space City
Chris_H_2 wrote:
speaking of grind settings, it's amazing how the consistency of the beans varies. i use a built-in burr grinder in my espresso machine. i usually keep it to a specific setting, and it leads to perfect results for one roaster's beans. when i try another at the same setting, the ground coffee is overflowing the portafilter. another and it could stand another 2 seconds of grinding. and none of this is to mention the variances among the ways the water pressure influences the ground coffee from bean to bean (with some beans producing super thin, watery coffee and others producing viscous coffee).

This concept is maddening, but also fun. We had our settings down pat with the different beans back when I worked with an industrial grinder at a brunch spot. Then the night crew would screw it all up with their coffee cocktails.

_________________
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Some of you need to be willing to open your palate up a little bit and stop thinking of things as gross.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Coffee Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Fri August 23, 2019 1:14 am 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:48 pm
Posts: 46647
Location: Mountains
Okay hi how is everyone? good.

I love espresso. I rather drink it everyday than anything else. For a couple years i had a Nespresso machine and i loved it. Great pull every single time. I started feeling bad about the pods and the money etc....

So i moved to a Delhongi. Roughly $100. It lasted for about 3 months before breaking. Returned, replaced, returned, replaced. A couple others broke along the way. I figured that unless im going to spend at least $500 on an espresso machine then it will most likely continue to break and be cheap.

So, im back to the nespresso.

However, any suggestions on a super solid home espresso machine? Or is there a drip carafe that you guys love or suggest?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Coffee Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Fri August 23, 2019 1:34 am 
Offline
User avatar
I've been POOSSTTIiiEEnngeeaahh
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 6:02 am
Posts: 10287
Location: Tristes Tropiques
I see what you're up to Strat.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Coffee Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Mon November 11, 2019 1:23 am 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Sun September 15, 2013 5:50 am
Posts: 22050
could use a few new bags to mix up the rotation

recommendations welcome

_________________
All posts by this account, even those referencing real things, are entirely fictional and are for entertainment purposes only; i.e. very low-quality entertainment. These may contain coarse language and due to their content should not be viewed by anyone


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Coffee Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2019 6:06 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 19330
Location: Space City
So we never used our Keurig that much, preferring french press or my cold brew batches, but now that we're on the baby's time it's become a lot more convenient. I cleaned it out the other day and it almost ruined coffee for me ever again. I'd post a video of what I flushed out if I knew how. It wasn't pretty. Easily over 2 years worth of crud in there.

_________________
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Some of you need to be willing to open your palate up a little bit and stop thinking of things as gross.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Coffee Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2019 6:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 45573
Location: In the oatmeal aisle wearing a Shellac shirt
My belief is that if you want good espresso, either pay a ton of money to get a pro unit tied into your plumbing system, or enjoy the ritual of going out to your local coffee shop and interacting with your friendly barista. Fuck all that Nespresso / Keurig junk.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Coffee Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2019 6:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 19330
Location: Space City
96583UP wrote:
could use a few new bags to mix up the rotation

recommendations welcome

https://www.instacart.com/aldi/products ... uras-12-oz

These Honduran beans from Aldi are surprisingly good. You can find them for twice the price on ebay and that still comes out to something like $8 a bag before shipping and tax. I posted about them elsewhere and have no qualms from an ethical standpoint buying them, despite the low price tag and the easy availability. They are certified fair trade and that's good enough for me.

_________________
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Some of you need to be willing to open your palate up a little bit and stop thinking of things as gross.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Coffee Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2019 6:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 45573
Location: In the oatmeal aisle wearing a Shellac shirt
washing machine wrote:
96583UP wrote:
could use a few new bags to mix up the rotation

recommendations welcome

https://www.instacart.com/aldi/products ... uras-12-oz

These Honduran beans from Aldi are surprisingly good. You can find them for twice the price on ebay and that still comes out to something like $8 a bag before shipping and tax. I posted about them elsewhere and have no qualms from an ethical standpoint buying them, despite the low price tag and the easy availability. They are certified fair trade and that's good enough for me.

We are committed to our local Ghost Town roaster's Velvet Hammer at this point. We make it in a Chemex. Just a great, full-bodied dark roast with some subtle bright notes:

https://www.gocoffeego.com/products/Gho ... -6330.html


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Coffee Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2019 6:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 19330
Location: Space City
tragabigzanda wrote:
washing machine wrote:
96583UP wrote:
could use a few new bags to mix up the rotation

recommendations welcome

https://www.instacart.com/aldi/products ... uras-12-oz

These Honduran beans from Aldi are surprisingly good. You can find them for twice the price on ebay and that still comes out to something like $8 a bag before shipping and tax. I posted about them elsewhere and have no qualms from an ethical standpoint buying them, despite the low price tag and the easy availability. They are certified fair trade and that's good enough for me.

We are committed to our local Ghost Town roaster's Velvet Hammer at this point. We make it in a Chemex. Just a great, full-bodied dark roast with some subtle bright notes:

https://www.gocoffeego.com/products/Gho ... -6330.html

Notes: Chocolate, Meyer Lemon, Spice

Interesting.

_________________
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
Some of you need to be willing to open your palate up a little bit and stop thinking of things as gross.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Coffee Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2019 6:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 15140
Location: An office full of assholes
tragabigzanda wrote:
My belief is that if you want good espresso, either pay a ton of money to get a pro unit tied into your plumbing system, or enjoy the ritual of going out to your local coffee shop and interacting with your friendly barista. Fuck all that Nespresso / Keurig junk.

i don't think that you need a super expensive commercial unit. the one we have makes amazing espresso (of course it also depends on the quality of beans and water that you use).

Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Coffee Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2019 6:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 15140
Location: An office full of assholes
by the way, we use this roast almost exclusively:

Image

https://counterculturecoffee.com/shop/coffee/forty-six


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Coffee Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2019 6:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 45573
Location: In the oatmeal aisle wearing a Shellac shirt
Chris_H_2 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
My belief is that if you want good espresso, either pay a ton of money to get a pro unit tied into your plumbing system, or enjoy the ritual of going out to your local coffee shop and interacting with your friendly barista. Fuck all that Nespresso / Keurig junk.

i don't think that you need a super expensive commercial unit. the one we have makes amazing espresso (of course it also depends on the quality of beans and water that you use).

Image

I didn't know Breville made a machine, but I'll admit to being impressed by some of their other consumer kitchen stuff. This intrigues me.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Coffee Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2019 7:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue September 24, 2013 5:56 pm
Posts: 45573
Location: In the oatmeal aisle wearing a Shellac shirt
washing machine wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
washing machine wrote:
96583UP wrote:
could use a few new bags to mix up the rotation

recommendations welcome

https://www.instacart.com/aldi/products ... uras-12-oz

These Honduran beans from Aldi are surprisingly good. You can find them for twice the price on ebay and that still comes out to something like $8 a bag before shipping and tax. I posted about them elsewhere and have no qualms from an ethical standpoint buying them, despite the low price tag and the easy availability. They are certified fair trade and that's good enough for me.

We are committed to our local Ghost Town roaster's Velvet Hammer at this point. We make it in a Chemex. Just a great, full-bodied dark roast with some subtle bright notes:

https://www.gocoffeego.com/products/Gho ... -6330.html

Notes: Chocolate, Meyer Lemon, Spice

Interesting.

:thumbsup: It's no show-stopper, but damned if it still doesn't taste great with just about everything after a year of steady use: Eggs, pancakes, smoothies, yogurt, huevos rancheros, dessert... It always goes perfect with whatever we're eating.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Coffee Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2019 7:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
10Club Complaint Department
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 9:55 pm
Posts: 15140
Location: An office full of assholes
tragabigzanda wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
My belief is that if you want good espresso, either pay a ton of money to get a pro unit tied into your plumbing system, or enjoy the ritual of going out to your local coffee shop and interacting with your friendly barista. Fuck all that Nespresso / Keurig junk.

i don't think that you need a super expensive commercial unit. the one we have makes amazing espresso (of course it also depends on the quality of beans and water that you use).

Image

I didn't know Breville made a machine, but I'll admit to being impressed by some of their other consumer kitchen stuff. This intrigues me.

so they have a $2500 version of one that essentially does all the same things as the we got, but it automatically tamps the coffee for you.

Image

i personally like doing it myself, and don't think it's even remotely worth that price.

there's also a step down from the one we have, but it doesn't have the electronic interface/touch display. it is, however, the same machine, and is about $500.

Image

i think i've posted here about our machine before. but without sounding hyperbolic, it's been a life changer and despite the money we spent (around $1000), we've saved that money by not spending $10 a day (between me and my wife) at our local coffee shops.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: The Coffee Appreciation Thread
PostPosted: Wed November 13, 2019 8:14 pm 
Offline
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 34459
Location: the beach
Chris_H_2 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
Chris_H_2 wrote:
tragabigzanda wrote:
My belief is that if you want good espresso, either pay a ton of money to get a pro unit tied into your plumbing system, or enjoy the ritual of going out to your local coffee shop and interacting with your friendly barista. Fuck all that Nespresso / Keurig junk.

i don't think that you need a super expensive commercial unit. the one we have makes amazing espresso (of course it also depends on the quality of beans and water that you use).

Image

I didn't know Breville made a machine, but I'll admit to being impressed by some of their other consumer kitchen stuff. This intrigues me.

so they have a $2500 version of one that essentially does all the same things as the we got, but it automatically tamps the coffee for you.

Image

i personally like doing it myself, and don't think it's even remotely worth that price.

there's also a step down from the one we have, but it doesn't have the electronic interface/touch display. it is, however, the same machine, and is about $500.

Image

i think i've posted here about our machine before. but without sounding hyperbolic, it's been a life changer and despite the money we spent (around $1000), we've saved that money by not spending $10 a day (between me and my wife) at our local coffee shops.

can you stream disney + on those things?


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 31  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Wed October 20, 2021 1:42 pm