The board's server will undergo upgrade maintenance tonight, Nov 5, 2014, beginning approximately around 10 PM ET. Prepare for some possible down time during this process.
FAQ    Search

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 266, 267, 268, 269, 270, 271, 272  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: You Will Drink Good BEER ... And It Will Be Delicious!
PostPosted: Mon January 11, 2021 8:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 18314
Location: Space City
dad wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
It's Porter and stout season you big dummies

that may be true, but...

Image

I don't know why that surprises me but it does.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Will Drink Good BEER ... And It Will Be Delicious!
PostPosted: Mon January 11, 2021 8:24 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Fri June 24, 2016 2:49 pm
Posts: 2949
washing machine wrote:
dad wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
It's Porter and stout season you big dummies

that may be true, but...

Image

I don't know why that surprises me but it does.

what's most surprising about it?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Will Drink Good BEER ... And It Will Be Delicious!
PostPosted: Mon January 11, 2021 8:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 18314
Location: Space City
dad wrote:
washing machine wrote:
dad wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
It's Porter and stout season you big dummies

that may be true, but...

Image

I don't know why that surprises me but it does.

what's most surprising about it?

You just seem like a guy who'd enjoy a roasty, malty, perhaps even barrel-aged offering, based on your posts.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Will Drink Good BEER ... And It Will Be Delicious!
PostPosted: Mon January 11, 2021 8:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar
NEVER STOP JAMMING!
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 4:18 am
Posts: 23903
proud of you, dad


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Will Drink Good BEER ... And It Will Be Delicious!
PostPosted: Mon January 11, 2021 8:31 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rated PG-13 for the power of theatre
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 86799
Location: Anarchist Jurisdiction
I can feel the end of my IPA obsession/devotion/reliance/etc approaching.

For the first time in my life I was at the beer store looking for some fun Porter and Stout options and I thought to myself, "Jesus, why is every fucking beer an IPA? I thought that trend was over, everyone hates them now, so why is this place only carrying a thousand different kinds of IPAs?! There's not a single Porter!"


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Will Drink Good BEER ... And It Will Be Delicious!
PostPosted: Mon January 11, 2021 8:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Classic B
 WWW  Profile

Joined: Wed December 19, 2012 9:53 pm
Posts: 17049
Location: Chapel Hill, NC, USA
I feel that way about Gose beers. Why the fuck can't I have a beer that tastes like a beer anymore?

_________________
Everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here, now, thank you. How are you?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Will Drink Good BEER ... And It Will Be Delicious!
PostPosted: Mon January 11, 2021 8:33 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Fri June 24, 2016 2:49 pm
Posts: 2949
washing machine wrote:
dad wrote:
washing machine wrote:
dad wrote:
E.H. Ruddock wrote:
It's Porter and stout season you big dummies

that may be true, but...

Image

I don't know why that surprises me but it does.

what's most surprising about it?

You just seem like a guy who'd enjoy a roasty, malty, perhaps even barrel-aged offering, based on your posts.

I should've been more specific about that. Porters are a 100 percent pass for me. Every time.

I do enjoy stouts on occasion, especially if there's peanut butter involved.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Will Drink Good BEER ... And It Will Be Delicious!
PostPosted: Mon January 11, 2021 8:34 pm 
Offline
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Fri June 24, 2016 2:49 pm
Posts: 2949
spike wrote:
proud of you, dad

:peace:


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Will Drink Good BEER ... And It Will Be Delicious!
PostPosted: Mon January 11, 2021 8:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 18314
Location: Space City
B wrote:
I feel that way about Gose beers. Why the fuck can't I have a beer that tastes like a beer anymore?

Image


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Will Drink Good BEER ... And It Will Be Delicious!
PostPosted: Mon January 11, 2021 8:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rated PG-13 for the power of theatre
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 86799
Location: Anarchist Jurisdiction
I don't hate Pilsners. I certainly prefer them (in general) to lagers these days.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Will Drink Good BEER ... And It Will Be Delicious!
PostPosted: Mon January 11, 2021 8:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 18314
Location: Space City
epilogue wrote:
I don't hate Pilsners. I certainly prefer them (in general) to lagers these days.

A pilsner is a type of lager. What do you mean by lagers you don't prefer, exactly?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Will Drink Good BEER ... And It Will Be Delicious!
PostPosted: Mon January 11, 2021 9:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rated PG-13 for the power of theatre
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 86799
Location: Anarchist Jurisdiction
washing machine wrote:
epilogue wrote:
I don't hate Pilsners. I certainly prefer them (in general) to lagers these days.

A pilsner is a type of lager. What do you mean by lagers you don't prefer, exactly?

I don't know a ton about beer, so forgive me. I didn't know pilsners were a type of lager. I'm probably not educated on this subject enough to use the right words to describe what I'm talking about.

What I'd say is, if I pick up a beer that just says "lager" on the label whiteout a qualifier, I usually don't like the taste or how it hits my stomach. Which is weird because I used to love Stella. But I digress.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Will Drink Good BEER ... And It Will Be Delicious!
PostPosted: Mon January 11, 2021 9:15 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 18314
Location: Space City
epilogue wrote:
washing machine wrote:
epilogue wrote:
I don't hate Pilsners. I certainly prefer them (in general) to lagers these days.

A pilsner is a type of lager. What do you mean by lagers you don't prefer, exactly?

I don't know a ton about beer, so forgive me. I didn't know pilsners were a type of lager. I'm probably not educated on this subject enough to use the right words to describe what I'm talking about.

What I'd say is, if I pick up a beer that just says "lager" on the label whiteout a qualifier, I usually don't like the taste or how it hits my stomach. Which is weird because I used to love Stella. But I digress.

I wasn't picking on you. It's a common thing I've observed, saying you don't like lagers but getting behind a certain type of lager. Lagering is just a type of fermentation process. It takes longer and because of that, the process has more time to produce delicate and interesting characteristics.

It sounds like you're describing adjunct lagers and/or helles lagers. The type that big macro beers are usually based on.

There are all types of lagers that I bet you like and didn't know.

Bocks, Marzens, Dunkels, Czech and German Pilsners...

In fact, I would bet that if you're burnt up on IPAs but find that you still have a little bit left in your palette to really appreciate a subtle hop character, a Czech pils might be just the thing for you on a hot day.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Will Drink Good BEER ... And It Will Be Delicious!
PostPosted: Mon January 11, 2021 9:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rated PG-13 for the power of theatre
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 86799
Location: Anarchist Jurisdiction
Like I said, I don't usually dislike pilsners. I've had two or three Dunkels, all of which I remember enjoying. Bochs are hit/miss.

Perhaps what it really comes down to is the malt? Seems like just doing a quick search that it's the maltier/breadier stuff that I don't gravitate toward. Which would include the helles lagers, right?


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Will Drink Good BEER ... And It Will Be Delicious!
PostPosted: Mon January 11, 2021 9:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Guys, I am not a moderator! I swear to God! Why does everyone think I'm a moderator?
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 2:48 pm
Posts: 65627
washing machine wrote:
B wrote:
I feel that way about Gose beers. Why the fuck can't I have a beer that tastes like a beer anymore?

Image

So good

_________________
Clouuuuds Rolll byyy...BANG BANG BANG BANG


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Will Drink Good BEER ... And It Will Be Delicious!
PostPosted: Mon January 11, 2021 9:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Posting (live)
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 11:28 pm
Posts: 18314
Location: Space City
epilogue wrote:
Like I said, I don't usually dislike pilsners. I've had two or three Dunkels, all of which I remember enjoying. Bochs are hit/miss.

Perhaps what it really comes down to is the malt? Seems like just doing a quick search that it's the maltier/breadier stuff that I don't gravitate toward. Which would include the helles lagers, right?

That sweetness you find in the malt goes a little unchecked by a hop balance in a beer like that, so you may be on to something there.

Ever hear of the German Purity Law in beer? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot

It's fascinating to me how a beer, made in total compliance to that law, can taste so different from another also made to spec. Those four simple ingredients yield infinite possibilities when messed around with. Science, man.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Will Drink Good BEER ... And It Will Be Delicious!
PostPosted: Mon January 11, 2021 9:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Future Drummer
 Profile

Joined: Wed January 02, 2013 8:08 pm
Posts: 2953
I definitely find certain beers always make me sick in some way. Brooklyn Lager always gives me a massive headache, for example.


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Will Drink Good BEER ... And It Will Be Delicious!
PostPosted: Mon January 11, 2021 10:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rated PG-13 for the power of theatre
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 86799
Location: Anarchist Jurisdiction
washing machine wrote:
epilogue wrote:
Like I said, I don't usually dislike pilsners. I've had two or three Dunkels, all of which I remember enjoying. Bochs are hit/miss.

Perhaps what it really comes down to is the malt? Seems like just doing a quick search that it's the maltier/breadier stuff that I don't gravitate toward. Which would include the helles lagers, right?

That sweetness you find in the malt goes a little unchecked by a hop balance in a beer like that, so you may be on to something there.

Ever hear of the German Purity Law in beer? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot

It's fascinating to me how a beer, made in total compliance to that law, can taste so different from another also made to spec. Those four simple ingredients yield infinite possibilities when messed around with. Science, man.

:thumbsup:

this is cool

thanks


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Will Drink Good BEER ... And It Will Be Delicious!
PostPosted: Mon January 11, 2021 10:05 pm 
Offline
The Master
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 3:45 pm
Posts: 32074
Location: the beach
Orpheus wrote:
I definitely find certain beers always make me sick in some way. Brooklyn Lager always gives me a massive headache, for example.

back when i drank beer it was sam adams for me...i have about 5 beers a year now and its usually the above victory pils


Top
 
 Post subject: Re: You Will Drink Good BEER ... And It Will Be Delicious!
PostPosted: Mon January 11, 2021 10:10 pm 
Offline
User avatar
Rated PG-13 for the power of theatre
 Profile

Joined: Tue January 01, 2013 5:33 pm
Posts: 86799
Location: Anarchist Jurisdiction
Orpheus wrote:
I definitely find certain beers always make me sick in some way. Brooklyn Lager always gives me a massive headache, for example.

It doesn't give me a headache but this is a good example of another lager that I find makes my stomach feel weird. It's not "sick" necessarily... it's more like overfull or maybe nauseous? I feel tense. It's a similar feeling to anxiety. But I only notice it when I drink "lagers."


Top
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 266, 267, 268, 269, 270, 271, 272  Next

Board index » Word on the Street » Food & Dining


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
It is currently Wed March 03, 2021 6:31 am