Switch to full style
Mmmm...sacrilicious...
Post a reply

Re: You Will Drink Good BEER ... And It Will Be Delicious!

Sun January 28, 2018 6:22 am

Vanilla seems to miss far more than hit, but Ballast Point Victory at Sea is an exception.
Last edited by PHATJ on Sun January 28, 2018 6:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun January 28, 2018 6:35 am

It just always ends up tasting like artificial flavoring to me. Plus, the whole it being vanilla thing.

Sun January 28, 2018 6:39 am

Have you had Victory at Sea?

Sun January 28, 2018 6:42 am

I have not. I don't like whatever the .jpg did to stretch out the reply box in this thread though, that's for sure.

Sun January 28, 2018 6:47 am

I edited it out, but that wasn’t the problem. I think it’s from your Prairie pic.

Sun January 28, 2018 7:28 am

Oh my.

Sun January 28, 2018 7:28 am

Well then.

Mon January 29, 2018 5:58 pm

Blueberry cider from Superstition Meadery in Prescott. Tasty for sure, but not really my thing.

Wed January 31, 2018 7:05 am

As I pour the last five ounces of this mostly terrible local DIPA down the drain and think about going to bed, I admit to god and everyone that this is the worst style of beer imagineable. Maybe even the worst thing to ever happen to the craft beer movement.

Wed January 31, 2018 4:19 pm

IPA?

Wed January 31, 2018 4:26 pm

yeah, i'm a little thrown off by that comment

Wed January 31, 2018 4:30 pm

Double/Imperial IPAs. Local ones, in particular. It’s such an extreme style to begin with, and to brew something that isn’t just a total hop bomb, you need to really up the ante with the malt balance. Too often, this results in something so boozy and so heavy that it feels like a hop flavored barleywine. All subtlety goes out the window.

Again, I’m mostly referring to local versions made by brewers who are just starting to figure out what they’re doing. There’s some really good DIPAs out there, of course.

Wed January 31, 2018 4:34 pm

It’s bad for the craft beer movement in the same way hair metal was bad for rock and roll. Almost all of it is too loud and with little substance

Wed January 31, 2018 4:38 pm

washing machine wrote:It’s bad for the craft beer movement in the same way hair metal was bad for rock and roll. Almost all of it is too loud and with little substance

It's fair to say that craft breweries have been overly reliant on strong IPAs, but that was what most customers were looking for.

Wed January 31, 2018 4:40 pm

Yeah yeah

Wed January 31, 2018 4:41 pm

Bi_3 wrote:
washing machine wrote:It’s bad for the craft beer movement in the same way hair metal was bad for rock and roll. Almost all of it is too loud and with little substance

It's fair to say that craft breweries have been overly reliant on strong IPAs, but that was what most customers were looking for.

Yup.

And I'm certainly part of the problem. My interest in beer coincided with the overwhelming demand for IPA's. I have a hard time drinking other beers. But I also hear what you're saying, Reid. There are plenty of local Imperials that have zero subtlety to them which I find equally difficult to drink.

Wed January 31, 2018 4:44 pm

interesting. because breweries like green flash and alpine built multi-million dollar businesses off the backs of what were then merely local dipa's. hell, bell's hosplam fits this category, which was first released a long time ago before craft beer got really popular.

i think some are good, while some are bad, just like every beer. but i wouldn't say they're bad for craft beer.

Wed January 31, 2018 4:48 pm

I was drunk and angry last night and doubled down this morning. You’re right, of course. I really should have clarified that Texas breweries haven’t really figured out the style yet.

Wed January 31, 2018 4:50 pm

TL:DR - if you’re ever in Houston, skip IP8 from 8th Wonder Brewery.

Wed January 31, 2018 5:13 pm

pliny is a dipa
Post a reply